News and Announcements
Posted on by
Over the past few years there have been multiple instances of sellers that distribute paid boxed versions of Mixxx on eBay and Amazon. While it's not illegal to do this per se, we are not affiliated with these sellers and neither earn money from this nor endorse this in any way. Instead, you can download the latest version of Mixxx from the download page on our website for free.
If you want to support Mixxx financially, consider donating - we'll appreciate it!
Mixxx was, is and always will be free
In contrast our commercial competitors that offer "free" feature-reduced versions of their software, we do not impose any artificial restrictions on Mixxx. There is no "Pro Edition" or Premium version of Mixxx, even if it says so in the description of the online shop.
The Mixxx developers don't sell Mixxx, and if you "buy" Mixxx somewhere online you'll likely just get the free Mixxx version that the seller downloaded from our website and burned onto a CD. Even worse, some of these paid Mixxx versions might contain ads or malware according to Amazon reviews. Just use the free download from our website to get the ad-free, malware-free, most recent version of Mixxx.
Mixxx is free as in freedom, not just free as in "free beer"
You don't need to pay money to use Mixxx, but there's more: Its source code is accessible to everyone and if you know how to code, you can modify it and customize Mixxx to a degree that is simply not possible with any closed-source software. Even if you did get your hands on the source code of Serato DJ Pro/Lite, Rekordbox, Traktor or VirtualDJ (which is not available to their users), it would be illegal for you to modify the program or redistribute it.
Mixxx, on the other hand, is free software and grants you the four essential freedoms:
- The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose.
- The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
- The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others.
- The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others. By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
These freedoms are guaranteed by the license Mixxx uses, the GNU General Public License (GPL). Thanks to the GPL, these freedoms can never be taken away from you. It's a copyleft license, meaning anyone who distributes or modifies Mixxx has to use the same license and provide the source code.
The original Mixxx developers chose the GPL when they started Mixxx back in the early 2000s. They stopped working on Mixxx many years ago, but thanks to the copyleft terms of the GPL, you have the same freedoms with Mixxx now as when the first version of Mixxx was published. We can't take that away, nor could any future developers, nor could any company. It's free because it's yours.
If you want to know more about Mixxx' license, check out the FAQ.
The Mixxx project is entirely community-driven and supported by volunteers from all over the globe. None of our developers are paid; all of us are passionate about the project and work on Mixxx in our spare time.
We dedicate our time to working Mixxx, because we believe in open-source and care about delivering a decent product to our users — including ourselves! In fact, all our currently active developers started out as regular Mixxx users — just like you.
Do you want to contribute to Mixxx, too? You can! There are countless ways to get involved in the Mixxx community. You hack on Mixxx' code, create controller mappings, test new in-development features, improve Mixxx skins or design new ones, translate Mixxx into your language, write articles and make YouTube videos about Mixxx or help out newbies on Zulip Chat or our forums. Every little bit helps!
Help us make Mixxx even more awesome than it already is!
- Announcing our Google Summer of Code Projects 2020 (2020-05-05)
- Mixxx accepted for GSoC 2020! (2020-02-20)
- Mixxx 2.2.3 released (2019-12-09)
- Mixxx 2.2.2 released (2019-08-15)
- Mixxx 2.2.1 released (2019-04-23)
- Mixxx 2.2 released (2018-12-24)
- 2.1.3 released (2018-08-20)
- Mixxx 2.1.2 released (2018-08-19)
- Mixxx 2.1.0 has arrived! (2018-04-16)
- Announcing Mixxx 2.0! (2015-12-30)
- Surprise! Release Candidate 1 (2015-12-05)
- Mixxx 1.12 Beta Released! (2015-04-29)
- Google Summer of Code 2013 Projects! (2013-05-29)
- Mixxx 1.11.0 Is Here! (2013-05-09)
- Calling all Students: Hack on Mixxx in Google Summer of Code 2013! (2013-04-08)
- Mixxx 1.10.1 for Mountain Lion (2012-08-04)
- Mixxx 1.10.1 Released! (2012-06-30)
- Google Summer of Code 2012 Projects! (2012-04-23)
- Mixxx in Google Summer of Code 2012! (2012-03-16)
- More Mixxx T-Shirts! (2012-01-06)
- Mixxx 1.10.0 Released! (2011-12-24)
- Mixxx 1.10.0 Launch Party in Boston, Tonight! December 1st, 9pm (2011-12-01)
- Mixxx 1.10.0 Beta and Mixxx 1.9.2 Released! (2011-11-06)
- Mixxx in Your Language! (2011-05-24)
- Boston Mixxx Meetup -- Tonight at 9pm! (2011-05-04)
- Google Summer of Code 2011 Projects! (2011-04-25)
- Mixxx Debuts as #1 Free App in the Mac App Store (2011-02-20)
- Mixxx 1.9.0 Released! (2011-02-19)
- Mixxx 1.9 Now Available in the Mac App Store (2011-02-18)
- Mixxx T-shirts - ORDER NOW! (2011-01-25)
- Build Server Fundraiser a Success - Thank You! (2010-12-24)
- Mixxx T-shirt contest (2010-12-24)
- Beyond Mixxx 1.8 (2010-12-10)
- Digital DJ Tips Interviews Mixxx (2010-12-07)
- Mixxx 1.9.0 Beta1 and 1.8.2 Released! (2010-12-06)
- Mixxx T-shirt contest until Dec 15! (2010-11-17)
- Mixxx 1.8.1 Released! (2010-10-18)
- Mixxx 1.8.0 Released! (2010-10-05)
- The Mixxx Class Diagram (2010-08-16)
- Drag and Drop, Downloads, and SCS.3d Videos (2010-07-12)
- Mixxx 1.8.0 Beta 2 Released! (2010-07-01)
- Turning the Mixxx Blog into a Blog (2010-06-27)
- Google Summer of Code 2010 Projects (2010-04-26)
- Mixxx in Google Summer of Code 2010! (2010-03-18)
- Mixxx 1.8.0 Beta 1 Released! (2010-02-15)
- Mixxx 1.7.2 Released! (2009-12-30)
- Mixxx 1.8 Preview (2009-12-23)
- Mixxx 1.7.1 Released! (2009-10-19)
- Mixxx 1.7.0 Released! (2009-08-06)
- Mixxx 2009 User Survey (2009-08-06)
- Scratching with Mixxx (2009-08-01)
- Mixxx 1.7.0 Beta 2 Released! (2009-07-20)
- Mixxx with the Stanton SCS.3d and SCS.1m (2009-06-19)
- Mixxx 1.7.0 Beta1 for Windows x64 Now Available! (2009-05-07)
- Mixxx 1.7.0 Beta1 Released! (2009-04-23)
- Hercules releases GPL Linux MIDI drivers & Mixxx 1.6.1+Herc is released (2009-02-19)
- MIDI Scripting and the Stanton SCS.3d (Videos) (2009-02-09)
- Looking for a Community Coordinator (2008-12-17)
- Rewriting the Library (2008-12-03)
- Effects Progress (2008-11-24)
- Mixxx @ GSoC Mentor Summit (2008-11-12)
- Mixxx 1.6.1 Released! (2008-09-26)
- Updated MixMan DM2 Driver for OS X (2008-09-24)
- PPC Support Problems for Mixxx 1.6.0 (2008-09-01)
- Mixxx 1.6.0 Released! (2008-08-06)
- Mixxx Meetup – Friday, August 8th 2008 7pm @ Linux Caffe Toronto (2008-08-02)
- Mixxx 1.6.0 Release Code-a-thon (2008-07-25)
- Indamixx Handheld Available (2008-07-21)
- Mixxx 1.6.0 Beta 4 Released! (2008-07-17)
- Progress towards 1.6.0 (2008-06-21)
- Mixxx 1.6.0 Beta 3 Released! (2008-05-27)
- Scratching with Mixxx 1.6.0 (2008-04-28)
- Google Summer of Code 2008 Projects (2008-04-21)
- Mixxx in Google Summer of Code 2008! (2008-03-18)
- Mixxx at Cheap as Chips 2008 (2008-03-12)
- Mixxx 1.6.0 Beta2 for Tiger (2008-03-09)
- More Mixxx Videos (2008-02-26)
- Minor Website Revamp (2008-02-15)
- Mixxx 1.6.0 Beta2 Released! (2008-02-09)
- Feature Preview: Shoutcast Broadcasting (2008-02-01)
- Mixxx at CES 2008 (2008-01-31)
- Progress since Beta 1 (2008-01-31)
- Hercules DJ Control MP3 in Linux (2008-01-15)
- MixxxScript - A Sneaky Feature Preview (2008-01-05)
- Mixxx 1.6.0 Beta1 Released! (2007-12-23)
- Update on Release Progress (2007-12-21)
- 1.6.0 beta1 Nearly Ready (2007-12-04)
- Quick Vinyl Control Video, SSE optimizations (2007-12-03)
- November Update (2007-11-30)
- Mixxx featured on The Lab with Leo Laporte (2007-10-26)
- Mixxx 1.6.0 Running on OS X (2007-10-24)
- Google Summer of Code 2007 Mentors Summit (2007-10-19)
- Computer Music... again! (2007-09-18)
- File browsing 2.0 (2007-09-04)
- Mixxx 1.5.2 in Ubuntu 7.10 (2007-08-14)
- Mixxx featured in Computer Music magazine (2007-08-12)
- Google Summer of Code 2007 and Mixxx (2007-08-10)
- First Post (2007-08-09)