About my Outreachy internship with Mixxx DJ: Week 10 progress
This is the tenth weekly progress report of my Outreachy internship with Mixxx DJ.
- I made the necessary edits to the YouTube tutorial about the Mixxx community and uploaded it to YouTube. Here is the link.
- I had a brief video call with community team leaders from the Tor Project to discuss more about the internet censorship situation that has been going on in Uganda. The purpose of the discussion was to understand more about how I am using Tor and other anti-censorship tools, and how it can be improved based on my feedback.
- To get some inspiration for the cookbook chapter, I read through the first few chapters of the Mixxx manual, looking for sections that could use the step by step instruction approach that the cookbook will provide. I found an area in the “Analyze your tracks/ library” section that needed more explanation, and discussed it in the Zulip chat. I will be filing an issue and making a pull request for it soon.
- I lost a day of work to no electricity and maybe half a day to the poor internet speeds (some of the downsides to using VPNs).
- Next week, I will be working on a number of pull requests implementing suggested changes. One of them includes converting the deck cloning section into a step by step instruction guide as opposed to a whole article.
- I will be adding new sections to the same chapter with the same step by step approach – this will be my main task this week. All the (new) sections that I will be adding are subject to discussion. It is a work in progress 🙂
- Finally, I will be making another YouTube tutorial introducing Mixxx to the first time user… This tutorial will be guided by chapter 4 of the manual and will go something like;
- Start the Mixxx software
- Import music to the Mixxx library - import your audio files
- Analyze your library tracks (what it means to analyze a track)
- Configure Sound output - especially if you're not using any DJ Hardware
- Play your first track with Mixxx
- The Mixxx manual - in case you need to refer to a Mixxx resource for help