This is an old revision of the document!
I am an undergraduate Software Engineer who believes he can contribute significantly to the Mixxx project on both a short term and long term basis. I aim to implement a combination of major and minor features, as well as paving the way to implement features beyond the Google SOC 2008. The main feature I wish to improve is general MIDI support – a task well suited to me, due to my personal hardware and experience with industry DJ equipment as a performer. I also plan to implement small features as a secondary objective, building on the well-designed feature set of Mixxx. Most of these features come from my experience as a Trance DJ – e.g. CDJ like interface, general customisability extensions (pitch increments, for example), and jog dial sensitivity. My lack of satisfaction with current DJ software and personal desire to experiment with my hardware will result in me being a long-term contributor to this project. I am a reliable person who is a pleasure to work with and I hope I can benefit the project in any way possible.
This page will be used during the GSoC 2008 to let the community know the status of the project, in addition to getting feedback on aspects of the project. Tom believes that community input is essential!
Current status of the project:
* Week 1:
Forming basic use cases, general brainstorming, preparing ideas for community feedback, reading existing MIDI code.
* Week 2:
UML proposal, class design, XML format proposal. NOTE: I am away from Wednesday the 4th-Monday the 9th, attending Rock am Ring in Germany. I can only be contacted by phone during this time.
* Week 3: (Unplanned) Move back to Australia and recover from jetlag.
* Week 4: GUI Design, write class structure, begin XML changes,
try to get MIDI device dialog working, look at proposed MIDI patches.
* Week 5: Add working GUI Elements (a little unproductive this week due to moving house and having no internet whilst getting stuck on a stupid bug. Thanks Garth for finding it! :))
* Week 6:
Fix GUI on Mac, Get devices showing up, Investigate/Change MIDI Device data storage, Work on dlgprefmididevice
* Week 7: Work on dlgprefmidibindings, Work on dlgprefmididevice
* (Week 9) Start a TODO list of things that need to be implemented to target an early August (week 12 or 13) community test release, Single MIDI learn, Group MIDI Learn, dlgprefmidibindings small dialogs
* (Week 10) Multiple device support (delays due to IRL stuff / bindings dialog problems)
* (Week 11) Multiple device support, Bindings Dialog fixes, Testing
* (Week 12) Code cleanup, testing
Now: fixing up loose ends, testing, code cleanup, documentation.
You can contact Tom or read about him at this page: http://soc.corrodedreality.org/
The basic goal of the project is to improve MIDI support in Mixxx. MIDI in Mixxx should be:
Name: MIDI Learn
Description: The user wishes to add a binding for a single MIDI control.
Name: Change MIDI Binding by Single Learn
Description: The user wishes to change an existing binding using learning.
Name: Change MIDI Binding by Group Learn
Description: The user wishes to change a group of existing bindings sequentially using learning.
Name: Export MIDI Bindings to file
Description: The user wishes to export some or all of the bindings to a reusable format.
Name: Import MIDI Bindings from file
Description: The user wishes to import a list of MIDI bindings.
Name: Set up new MIDI controller for the first time
Description: User starts Mixxx with a new MIDI controller never previously used (thanks G!)