Live Distro Containing Mixxx

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Re: Live Distro Containing Mixxx

Postby socialdefect » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:42 pm

UPDATE

I have some trouble creating the new release, while it was about perfect exept for a non functionng hd installer I managed to mess it all up by doing an update which in it's turn messed-up all my system partitions on my working system the moment I chose not to install grub to any disk :x All disks were unbootable and even worse; unmountable exept for my data partition so I had that luck. The next days I've spend fixing the messed-up disk and reinstalling the OS' on it and then tried to rebuild the system in case the beta2 also contains some strange error.
From here I've only been able to produce unbootable iso's. I just found out it might have something to do with my build system 10.04 that cannot build a working 10.10 image. So again I upgraded to 10.10 which was required anyway since the build system was extremely slow afther an update.
I'm gonna give it one more go using Ubuntu 10.10 as a build system using the official Ubuntu remaster guide. Hope I will be able to fix a working release again for I'm getting a little tired of Ubuntu, more and more when taking a better look at the repositories and Debian compatability. I am thinking about switching to Arch, also since Arch has better dependency control and has working packages for the hercules drivers so I'm gonna use that anyway for the MixxxOS mini edition.

So..... you guys might be looking at waiting a couple more weeks for the final release, sorry :oops:
socialdefect

Postby Gary Littlemore » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Yea no probs, feel for you with the disk problem. I was in the same position only 2 weeks ago and I didn't have a data partition.

Take your time, no point rushing only make things more difficult.
Post spam... You'll regret it, you've been warned.
Gary Littlemore

Postby Pegasus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:56 pm

socialdefect wrote:...messed-up all my system partitions on my working system the moment I chose not to install grub to any disk

Dude, next time that happens, grab a Debian install CD, boot it in Rescue mode, let it do its detections, then choose "Install GRUB boot loader" and just do it to all disks if you aren't sure exactly which to use. That's helped me out a number of times.
Pegasus
Mixxx Developer

Postby socialdefect » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:07 pm

[quote="Pegasus"
Dude, next time that happens, grab a Debian install CD, boot it in Rescue mode, let it do its detections, then choose "Install GRUB boot loader" and just do it to all disks if you aren't sure exactly which to use. That's helped me out a number of times.[/quote]

Wouldn't have worked for me since my data partition was the only one that could be mounted. I did some searching and it seems there are in fact some sommands that can be executed from within a chroot environment wich can do harm to your system partitions. They are the so called "break out of jail" commands.
For the next build I made myself a nice Ubuntu remaster that can be used as a live cd, since I like working in a chroot environment better than a VM this seemed to be the best sollution.If anyone is interested it's called mkOS (make OS) and it's up for download at LinuxTracker (YES!!!! I will also build a 64bit edition since it runs faster on my intel also and off cource has multiple other advantages)
socialdefect

Postby Irwin Cespedes » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:40 pm

By the way, What are the system requirements of this OS? You know, RAM, processor speed, HDD space... I ask for the people ho are non-adventurers like some of us ;)
I am also known as altiplΛne, this is my music

¡Pura Vida! Image
Irwin Cespedes

Postby socialdefect » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Irwin Cespedes wrote:By the way, What are the system requirements of this OS? You know, RAM, processor speed, HDD space... I ask for the people ho are non-adventurers like some of us ;)

The minimal requirements are Pentium II or Celeron systems with 128 Mb RAM but this will be barely enough to run the system. The minimal requirements to make full use of the system and run mixxx smoothly will be a Pent 4 or equivalent processor with at least 512MB of RAM but a dual core with 1GB+ RAM would is recommended. Since I created MixxxOS to be used on netbooks it should run fine on most netbooks and laptops. For the non-geeks; If you computer runs Windows Vista or 7 it should have no problems running MixxxOS.

Something else:

Recently I made some big changes in my life, since Linux and FOSS where too big a part of my life I've decided to stop most of my projects and have also gotten rid of my computers exept for my laptop. Also I got rid of my Linux cd's and books and am not going to use my laptop for more than daily usage, music production and Mixxxing offcource.

Unfortunatly I cannot continue maintaining MixxxOS. If anyone else is interested to continue this project please contact me so I can pass on the sourceforge account and all build scripts.
socialdefect

Postby Pegasus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Oh man. Well, whatever your reasons, thank you for all the work you've put into this! Would you mind sending all the details to mixxx-devel (but sensitive stuff like passwords directly to Albert) so we can keep track of it? Assuming you're licensing your work under the GPL, we could just add the scripts to our code repository so anyone with the Mixxx source can try that out too.
Pegasus
Mixxx Developer

Postby socialdefect » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Pegasus wrote:Oh man. Well, whatever your reasons, thank you for all the work you've put into this! Would you mind sending all the details to mixxx-devel (but sensitive stuff like passwords directly to Albert) so we can keep track of it?

All files should be done uploading as I finish this message.

Assuming you're licensing your work under the GPL, we could just add the scripts to our code repository so anyone with the Mixxx source can try that out too.

All my stuff is GPL licenced so use it as you like. If files (like the DJ icon set used in the lxdm theme) have different licenses the licence can be found with the files.
socialdefect

Previous

Return to General Discussion