How-to: Use user-submitted controller mappings

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

How-to: Use user-submitted controller mappings

Postby Be. » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:37 pm

Mappings on this forum are posted either as an XML file, an XML file plus a JS file, or a ZIP archive with both an XML and JS file inside. If it is posted as a ZIP archive, you'll need to extract that first (there are several ways to do this depending on your OS). If there is only an XML file, that is all you need. If there is both an XML and JS file, you'll need both of those for the mapping. Put the XML file and, if there is one, the JS file in your user controller mapping folder.

Start Mixxx (or restart it if it was already running) and go to Options > Preferences (or press Ctrl + P). On the left side of the preferences window, look for Controllers and select your controller. If your controller is not listed on the left of the window, see the Troubleshooting page on the wiki. Once you have selected your controller on the left, select the mapping you just installed from the Load Preset drop down menu. It should appear at the top of the drop down menu. Check "Enabled" and then click "OK". Enjoy mixing!
Last edited by Be. on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Re: How to use mappings posted in this forum

Postby sblaisot » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:43 pm

To easily locate the user's preferences folder, you can start Mixxx (or restart it if it was already running) and go to Options > Preferences (or press Ctrl + P). On the left side of the preferences window, choose "controllers". Click the "Open user's preset folder" button. This will fire-up a folder explorer of your user's preset folder.
sblaisot

Re: How-to: Use user-submitted controller mappings

Postby nlpretto » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:51 pm

Be. wrote: Put the XML file and, if there is one, the JS file in this folder, depending on your operating system:
* GNU/Linux: /usr/share/mixxx/controllers (or if that is empty, /usr/local/share/mixxx/controllers)

Hi, in my operation system I can't find this folder.. In the .../mixx folder I found the: /midi folder, where I supposed that I would copy the two files. But when I try to copy I don't have permission to do this...
Can you help me?
nlpretto

Postby Be. » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Mixxx 1.10 and earlier called the folder "midi" rather than "controllers". If you only see "midi", you should upgrade your version of Mixxx.
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby nlpretto » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:19 pm

Be. wrote:Mixxx 1.10 and earlier called the folder "midi" rather than "controllers". If you only see "midi", you should upgrade your version of Mixxx.

thanks, now everything OK
nlpretto

Postby s0n+deo » Sun May 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Yo,

I am working on getting a pioneer DDJ-SB3 set up with mixxx. The latest git code is here: https://github.com/Dancephy/Mixxx-Pioneer-DDJ-SB3.

I have just installed the main xml file and js file into the controllers folder, but that has given me really limited functionality as if somethings missing. There is a lot more than just a xml and js file here, so I am wondering if I need some of the other files. When I put the whole folder in 'controllers' it breaks mixxx. How would I go about getting this board up and running?
s0n+deo

Postby JosepMa » Thu May 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Hello s0n+deo.

This mapping probably is built for Mixxx 2.3, which has changes compared to Mixxx 2.2. It is possible that it is the reason why it doesn't work.
The other files included there are just needed for the test script, because those a provided by Mixxx, and in an external test, they would not be present.

The thread about that controller is here, you might get support there from the author.: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13271
JosepMa

Return to Controller presets/mappings