Narrow skins

New or modified Mixxx skins

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Narrow skins

Postby Inanna » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:01 am

Before I start making a mess with LateNight (using a copy, of course), I'm wondering if anyone here has done a narrow skin, like 2 decks to one side of the mixer?

Sometimes, I can't setup my external monitor for my laptop, so I have to fit the applications I need to run on the 1 (built-in) screen. The minimum width of Mixxx with Late Night is a little too wide.

Currently, I'm looking at modifying the 4 deck variant of Late Night, but I figured it made sense to ask if anyone had already dealt with a similar situation,

Thanks
Inanna

Re: Narrow skins

Postby ronso » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:26 pm

I didn't do this, but as a quick fix you could go to LateNight folder, open skin.xml and look for
<MinimumSize>1280,700</MinimumSize> somewhere at the top.
Change that to the [size of your screen minus window decorations] and LateNight will 'fit' but some elements probably will get squeezed.

General skin design documentation https://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/creating_skins
Info on window decorations https://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/skin_guidelines#the_optimal_size_for_skins

What screen size do you have available?
Does it need to be LateNight? Deere and Tango are similiar and could fit small screens better (at least the versions in current Mixxx Edit: alpha releases from http://downloads.mixxx.org/builds/master/release/)
Last edited by ronso on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
ronso

Postby Inanna » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks. I looked at Deere and Shade (which were installed by default). Deere seems to lack AUX channels. Shade has one AUX channel, but the effects seem to lack assignment controls.

While I like LateNight more, I think I could add AUX channels to Deere more easily than cutting out pieces of LateNight.

Update: fix ambiguity
Inanna

Postby Inanna » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:36 am

I'm trying the 2.1.0 alpha. so far, I like it. Tango is nice, I like it. I noticed that the Deere in 2.1 now has an AUX control (Thanks), but I think I like Tango, more.

In the "control strip" at the bottom, to the right of the MIC input control, I see what looks like a placeholder for an AUX input control. I hope this will be completed.
Imagehttps://postimg.org/image/2tp8ojfbnf/
Inanna

Postby ronso » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 pm

cool, thanks for your feedback!
You're right, the Aux section is empty as long as you didn't set up an input device in Preferences.
Besides, we're about to update both Deere and Tango right now, and probably LateNight, too.
ronso

Postby Inanna » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:34 am

Glad to provide feedback.

I defined an AUX input and the control did appear. Curiously, it had a "talk" button (like the mic input), but no send-to-headphones button.

I also defined a second mic input. A second mic control appeared, but lacks a duck button and knob. Does duck only work for the first mic or is only 1 control needed?
Inanna

Postby ronso » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Okay. Interesting you read it as a "talk" button. Do you think a standard Standby icon would be more appropriate?
In Tango-update (not merged yet) there are headphone cue buttons for both Aux and Mic, as well as a separator between Mic sections in order to make it more obvious that ducking controls affect all mics.

If you like to test skin updates before merge, have a look a the respective github PRs and post your opinion thee:
Tango-update #1330 (actually finished)
Deere-2.1-part2 #1343 (still WIP).
You can link single skin folders from those PRs to your skin directory like I explained earlier.
ronso

Postby Inanna » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 am

ronso wrote:Okay. Interesting you read it as a "talk" button. Do you think a standard Standby icon would be more appropriate?

The tip balloon that pops up says "Microphone Talk-Over". The icon is fine. And even the behavior is okay (short click to toggle on/off, click-hold for momentary on).

In Tango-update (not merged yet) there are headphone cue buttons for both Aux and Mic, as well as a separator between Mic sections in order to make it more obvious that ducking controls affect all mics.

I had no trouble seeing the boundary between mic sections, just wasn't sure whether DUCK was for just Mic 1 or for all mics.

If you like to test skin updates before merge, have a look a the respective github PRs and post your opinion thee

I will look at those.

Thanks.
Inanna

Return to Skins