Tango * super minimizable skin UPDATE

New or modified Mixxx skins

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Re: FlatNite * super minimizable skin UPDATE

Postby Steph » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:24 am

Hi Ronso,

Cool skin! I like the contrast and the way you used the space on screen.

I noticed a couple of minor thing: You cannot activate FX's on Effect Chain 3 and 4. Also the space for the name of the FX is a little tight. I believe Be has submitted a PR to allow short names.
On Samplers, you shows Hot Cue buttons 5-8, but not 1-4.
It took me a while to figure out that the buttons beside the waveforms where for beat grid adjust. Maybe add tooltips?
Steph

Postby ronso » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:51 am

@Steph Sampler hotcues 1-4, this I overlooked when renaming COs. will fix it. Never use that actually.. fixed
FX name space is tight on purpose, was counting on this PR. Will have a look at it.
And I remember there was a bug with custom tooltips, will also look into that.
Edit https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1282903
https://answers.launchpad.net/mixxx/+question/386678
I see your point, so I'll add default ToolTipId strings manually as ToolTip :?

Thanks!
Updated to v33_fixed
Last edited by ronso on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronso

Postby ronso » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:37 pm

Steph wrote:You cannot activate FX's on Effect Chain 3 and 4.

This is because I initially decided to limit FX Units to 2 ;)

I like to have one FX Units per deck, so I imagine it like this:
[ . . .Waveforms. . . ]
[Deck 1] . . . [Deck 2]
[FX Unit1] [FX Unit2]
[Deck 3] . . . [Deck 4]
[FX Unit3] [FX Unit4]

Do you agree?

This requires some re-styling and a lot of extra display logic in the lower half. It'll take time.
Though, I like the idea!
Cheers!
ronso

Postby Steph » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:01 pm

Sounds good. This is also how I made my default mixtrack pro 3 mapping for FXs
Steph

Touchscreen bug

Postby gj23 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:10 am

There is a touchscreen bug that affects the play/pause on Windows 8.1.

If a track is stopped, touching the play button results in immediate playback, and removing my finger from the play button results in playback halting. Touching the play button again results in the track restarting from the beginning.

With LateNight, nothing occurs on the intial touch, and playback begins when the button is released. If there is a too long delay between the finger-down event and finger-up event, it's interpreted by Windows as a press-and-hold event which Mixxx just discards.

I don't rely on touchscreens, so this doesn't affect me at all. But I thought you might want to know. :-D

Many thanks for such a useful skin!
gj23

Postby gj23 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:22 am

I edited the library.xml as you suggested (for a narrower left-hand pane) and it works great!
Thanks a bunch!
gj23

Re: Touchscreen bug

Postby ronso » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:20 pm

gj23 wrote:If a track is stopped, touching the play button results in immediate playback, and removing my finger from the play button results in playback halting. Touching the play button again results in the track restarting from the beginning.
With LateNight, nothing occurs on the intial touch, and playback begins when the button is released. If there is a too long delay between the finger-down event and finger-up event, it's interpreted by Windows as a press-and-hold event which Mixxx just discards.

Okay, good to know.
But this sounds rather like a longpress is interpreted as right-click, since Play>leftclick = play/pause and Play>rightclick(when playing) = stop & go to Cue point.
Can you use the HotCue buttons with touch (FlatNite & LateNight)? Leftclick = set / go to, Left+hold = preview, rightclick = delete
That Windows is sending Left AND Right click when longpressing is strange. Does it behave like this in other Apps as well?

This portrait touch mode is becoming interesting!
Soon I'll get back some left-over 10" touchscreens from a previous project, then I could do some serious testing and maybe end up with FlatNite Touch.
ronso

Postby ronso » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Updated to v34
* 2 or 4 EffectUnits
* styling Library
ronso

Re: Touchscreen bug

Postby gj23 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:47 pm

ronso wrote:...
But this sounds rather like a longpress is interpreted as right-click, since Play>leftclick = play/pause and Play>rightclick(when playing) = stop & go to Cue point.
Can you use the HotCue buttons with touch (FlatNite & LateNight)? Leftclick = set / go to, Left+hold = preview, rightclick = delete
That Windows is sending Left AND Right click when longpressing is strange. Does it behave like this in other Apps as well?

This portrait touch mode is becoming interesting!
Soon I'll get back some left-over 10" touchscreens from a previous project, then I could do some serious testing and maybe end up with FlatNite Touch.

I tried the HotCue buttons with touch in both Flatnite and Latenight.

Latenight with touch: Mixxx doesn't do anything obvious on the initial touch event. If the finger is lifted after a short period, it's treated as a left click, and if the finger is lifted after a longer period it's treated as right click. This seems to work quite well. This is standard Windows 8 behavior (probably W10 also). (The delay period that determines whether the touch event is handled as a left or right click is a per user Windows setting.)

Flatnite with touch: Mixx treats the intial touch event as a left click. Long touches terminate with a right click. So a HotCue can be set and played back, but then when the finger is lifted the right click event is triggered and the cuepoint automatically clears itself. Naughty computers. :D

TLDR; it's borked, but FWIW it works in LateNight.

I love MIXXX in portrait mode on any screen, but especially on small ones.
Thanks as always. I have another UI suggestion, but I'll put it in another post.
Last edited by gj23 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
gj23

crossfader with hidden mixer?

Postby gj23 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:04 pm

When hiding the mixer, having (the option for) a visible crossfader instead of the MIXXX logo would be neat.
The settings menu could be:
Channel Mixer:
---->None
---->Full
---->Crossfader only

Or, hey, for even more flexiblibily, have separate controls for crossfader, gain/volume and effects:
Channel Mixer:
---->None
---->Crossfader
---->Gain/Volume
---->Effects

I'm sure that's a pile of work, and I don't really need either of those suggestions, so no hurry/no worry. It's already pretty much perfect for my own needs.

Just FYI: The latest FlatNite didn't have a version number in the uncompressed folder. If your next update is the same, it will overwrite the older skin and that's probably not a good thing (if case of breakage there would be no fallback version of FlatNite).
gj23

PreviousNext

Return to Skins