Scaling disappeared from Interface Menu

New or modified Mixxx skins

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Scaling disappeared from Interface Menu

Postby RockinRuss » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi, I have just installed Mixxx 2.2.1 on a new laptop, and have discovered that the scaling option in the interface menu (from 2.1.1) has disappeared.

I normally use a screen res of 1920x1080 @ 150% which gives me a usable balance between older and newer apps, but none of the skins will work at this res.
So far, my best compromise has been to use LateNight1336x768-WXGA copied over from an older version of Mixxx on a different laptop and run my screen res at 1366x768 for everything.

However, I would love to use updated skins for 2.2.1, without having to change my screen res settings, log out & log back in again before starting Mixxx

Is there a way to force Mixx to run at a different resolution to everything else (on Windows 10)?

Or, would you consider reinstating the Scale option into the interface menu to help those of us using lower screen resolutions?

Thanks.
(and of course, thank you to all involved for making this fantastic software in the first place!)
RockinRuss

Re: Scaling disappeared from Interface Menu

Postby Be. » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby RockinRuss » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:52 pm

Thank you - now to make that info hopefully idiot proof for those of us with no programming expertise:
to run Mixxx at a scale to 100% instead of my normal 150% make a text file as follows:

set QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
C:\Program Files\Mixxx\Mixxx.exe

Save it, then change the .txt extension to either .bat or .cmd

Then, to launch Mixxx, I click on my newly saved file?

Again, thank you.
RockinRuss

Postby Be. » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:23 pm

For some background, in Mixxx 2.1, Mixxx had a bunch of its own code to scale the GUI. This didn't do a spectacular job because some things we could not figure out how to scale, for example arrows on comboboxes. In Mixxx 2.2, we finally updated to Qt5, which allowed us to stop using those old hacks and use Qt5's automatic scaling.
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby RockinRuss » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:30 pm

I read that you are now using Qt5 (then went on to search & find out what Qt5 was)

Now you say that you previously gave Mixxx it's own code to 'hack' some scaling, it explains why the option has disappeared in 2.2.1

I can now mess around with the scale to find a perfect size to get as much info as possible on the screen while still being able to see it after a few drinks, especially as I am not as young as I used to be.

Thank you again, & keep up the good work!
RockinRuss

Postby JosepMa » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:46 pm

I see you mentioned the skins that have a resolution attached to them. Those skins are from versions previous to 2.0. On 2.0 and onwards, The skins could resize themselves, and the only problem was that on high dpi screens, the texts and buttons were too small. That's why the scaling options appeared.
JosepMa

Postby RockinRuss » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:22 am

JosepMa wrote:I see you mentioned the skins that have a resolution attached to them. Those skins are from versions previous to 2.0. On 2.0 and onwards, The skins could resize themselves, and the only problem was that on high dpi screens, the texts and buttons were too small. That's why the scaling options appeared.

I used those skins, copied over from a previous install on another computer, because I couldn't find skins in 2.2 that worked for me. With the screen size I was using for everything else, the buttons were either a bit too big to let me see the library & waveforms properly, or far too big, depending on the skin. For a fresh install of 2.2, the default is Deere, which has buttons so huge it looks like something has gone seriously wrong... Try it at a screen res of 1366x768 or 1920x1080 @150% if you don't believe me.

Anyway, for me at least the point is now moot, as I was shown the solution.
RockinRuss

Postby andrewdroid » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:38 pm

RockinRuss wrote:
set QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
C:\Program Files\Mixxx\Mixxx.exe

Save it, then change the .txt extension to either .bat or .cmd
Then, to launch Mixxx, I click on my newly saved file?

aahhh really sorry but I cant seem to make this work either as .cmd or .bat newby here with mixx
mixx is too big for desktop and when trying to resize by draging the corners it disapears from desktop and only way to get it back is to close and reopen it
am using a thinkpad carbon X1 gen4 1920x1080 at 150% windoze 10
if i set my screen to 125% then it works fine and can scale it up and down but all the other icons/folders etc are too small to see properly :(
if I open the skin settings on the right then it kind of fits but still cannot alter the hight
any suggestions
many thanks
andrewdroid

Return to Skins