Can't find Outline skin used in teaching example

New or modified Mixxx skins

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Can't find Outline skin used in teaching example

Postby RiotGrrrl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Ok, maybe I'm crazy. But, I can not find the Outline skin used in your teaching example no matter what link I follow from the forum or from the Wiki. Doe this file still exist?

I have been to the link at GitHub but what is there does not result in a skin. As far as I have experienced.

I would really like to build a skin. I have done so mods on an existing skin, but would like to know more about building from the ground up.

Any and all help and/or advise is appreciated. Thank you.
RiotGrrrl

Re: Can't find Outline skin used in teaching example

Postby kazakore » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:36 pm

I think all the documentation on the Wiki regarding skins is very out of date, especially This One as it constantly refers to screen resolution and Mixxx now uses resizeable skins.

https://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/creating_skins seems a little more like it's still relevant but as yet I've not personally had a chance to go through them. I will be wanting to at some point to make a skin that perfectly matches with my controller configuration as I've programmed it....
Last edited by kazakore on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kazakore

Postby RiotGrrrl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks kazakore! The files for Outline are mentioned at the link you gave me, and that link takes you to GitHub but the only things in that directory are the SVG files for Outline and nothing else.

The documentation at the link you mentioned is good but not having the Outline skin to poke around in makes the examples harder to understand.

If I finally find what I need I will link it here in this post.
RiotGrrrl

Postby JosepMa » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Hello RiotGrrrl.

As kazacore said, that's a very old skin. It was removed in version 2.0 IIRC (maybe even before).

Currently, there is no "simple" skin to be used as a reference skin to start, but the Shade skin is the simplest of those currently shipped with Mixxx, so it is a start.

If you are interested, you can also connect to mixxx zulip chat and ask there about more information.

Also, don't forget that this is made out of volunteers, so you can also help in updating the skin information on the wiki, while you learn it.
JosepMa

Postby Be. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:14 pm

The Shade skin is not a good example because it still uses lots of fixed positioning and old widgets. Take a look at the XML files for any of the other current skins for examples.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby RiotGrrrl » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:42 am

Thanks all for the info.
RiotGrrrl

Postby ronso » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:15 pm

I just removed the Outline references from the wiki.

Guess I'm a bit late in here, so for a starter I recommend investigating LateNight (ha!) as it has the least complex layout and least skin options.
ronso

Return to Skins