Future Skins

New or modified Mixxx skins

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Future Skins

Postby KayCee » Thu May 24, 2018 7:30 am

Hello every one.
I have been thinking. Would it be cool if mixxx had capability to rearrange a skin based on your actual pluged in controller?
Maybe some one can or has already skinned something similar, I personally think it will be very cool.
see the attached pictures i did to try and visualise the idea.
i used the mixtrack platinum cause thats the one i have.

so - plug in a pioneer, the skin rearranges according to your controller layout.

proposed idea for Mixxx 3.0 :D
Attachments
mixx4deck.jpg
4deck
mixx4deck.jpg (321.28 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
mixx2deck.jpg
2deck
mixx2deck.jpg (267.28 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
KayCee

Re: Future Skins

Postby Be. » Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am

Interesting idea, but I don't think it's a good use of screen space. You can already see what's on your controller by looking at your controller. We design skins to supplement the information available by looking at a controller. This is why there are lots of options to hide parts of the skins, so users can customize it to allocate screen space on what they decide is important to see on screen with their hardware and their personal preferences. In your pictures, lots of information is missing that is not shown on the controller, for example the waveforms (both scrolling and overview), effect names, metaknobs, effect parameters, loop size, beatjump size, and some of the level meters.

Also, most controllers don't fit the design of Mixxx 100%. For example, there is nothing in Mixxx that directly corresponds to the touch strip on the Numark Mixtrack Platinum. This is not necessarily a problem because it is the controller mapping's responsibility to decide how to use the touchstrip given what is available in Mixxx. However, when the normal Mixxx interface is replaced by an imitation of the controller, that would require the skin the reimplement the logic of the controller mapping for how the touchstrip interacts with Mixxx. Our skin system is not flexible enough to do that without making changes to the C++ parts of Mixxx for every single controller (which is what the controller scripting system was made to prevent).
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby KayCee » Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm

thanx i had all that in mind the above was just a visualisation its not 100% pixel for pixel, word for word.
I deliberately left out the wave form since the above is ust a sketch. . . .
thanx for the detailed info - though i had already thought of the pros and cons - especially when it comes to scaling, seeing as controllers all have different specs.
though it would be cool if mix had some kind of feature that arranges the existing skin to mimic your controller.
this idea came about after i found some old screenshots of mine of a software called MIXVIBES6 and the skin just blew my mind.
KayCee

Postby KayCee » Thu May 24, 2018 12:33 pm

with my little knowledge one serious disadvantage i fore-saw was that might greatly alter Mixxx instalation/file size as there would have to be hundreds - to thousands of skin PNGs to match all available controllers saved in mixx - and no one wants that.
hahaha though i am probably gonna endup skinning to match my controller - i just have widget arrangement issues - i have alredy drawn and png'd all knobs and buttons
KayCee

Postby Be. » Thu May 24, 2018 1:06 pm

The file sizes of skins wouldn't be a big issue. What would be a big issue is that every skin takes an enormous amount of work to design (at least several months) and continues to require work to maintain as new features are added to Mixxx.

Skins mostly use SVGs now, not PNGs. Mixxx's GUI now scales for high pixel density screens and raster graphics do not scale well.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby KayCee » Thu May 24, 2018 2:22 pm

i ment the total filesize of Mixxx its self due to thousands of embeded graphics for thousands of controllers, but yea i understand now :-)
KayCee

Postby jorgerosa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:33 am

:shock: Hmmm!... I really love the concept and design, even I dont know if its functional or not...
Your screenshots are giving me (bad) ideas... :geek: In fact ... ... ...
jorgerosa

Return to Skins