[v1.1] Kane Quneo Mixxx Preset: For The Control-Hungry DJ

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

[v1.1] Kane Quneo Mixxx Preset: For The Control-Hungry DJ

Postby wolfbiter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Last updated: 2/11/13
I've written a preset to bring together the QuNeo and Mixxx.
If you have any issues or suggestions, I encourage you to report them here!

Live Demo: https://youtu.be/dpdWzb0PEWo

Get the preset: https://www.github.com/wolfbiter/kane-quneo-mixxx#kane-quneo-mixxx-preset

Intro Tutorial: https://youtu.be/dnWSqPFBHGk

Quick Overview:
    - Multiple Modes: Main DJ, Library, Cuing, and Visualizer
    - LED sequencers to beats of 16
    - Autoloop (reliable loop halving for rises)
    - Play/Pause Stutters (see note at bottom)
    - Forward/Backward Beat Jumping (1, 4, 8 or 16 beats)
    - Beat Jump Stutters
    - Loop Scheduling (1, 4, 8 or 16 beats now or on trigger)
    - Autojump (continuous beat jumping)
    - Visual Nudge (for precise beatgridding)
    - 16 Hotcues per deck with informational LEDs
    - Support for 32+ Hotcues (in progress)
    - Hotcue Stutters
    - Cue Place/Delete Undos/Redos (in progress)
    - Beatloop Rolls
    - Auto Rate Nudge (easily and unnoticeably nudge tempo over a period of time)
    - Turntable Rotaries for Scratching
    - Levels and Rate Sliders for each deck
    - JumpSync (toggle to automatically sync a deck after any jump)
    - Beat Counters
    - Cursors and Zooms for each deck
    - Master and Deck LED VuMeters
    - 4 Sampler Decks (in progress)
    - 4 Mixing Decks (wishlist)
    - Pitch Shifting for Harmonic Mixing (wishlist)
    - Full Bank of Effects (wishlist)
    - Documentation on how I utilize 16 cues

NOTE: Stuttering is when a button activates on release rather than on press: It's a treat that makes accurate timing significantly easier.

Refer to my github repository for comprehensive documentation on all of the controls.
Last edited by wolfbiter on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:02 am, edited 14 times in total.
wolfbiter

Re: My New Quneo Preset - led's that pulse to the beat!

Postby wolfbiter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:32 pm

9/29 Update:
Big changes in progress. After using the setup mentioned above for a while, I have adapted many buttons to suit many more purposes. The preset above is now obsolete, and I will update it very soon.

Brief list of new capabilities:
    -one-button support for 16 cues!
    -Jump 1,2,4,8 beats backwards or forwards
    -Visual nudge (makes beat-gridding SO MUCH nicer, no more clumsy mouse)
    -Loop 1,2,4,8 beats; double/half still possible, plus LEDs to show how many beats your active loop is
    -SCHEDULE loops of 1,2,4,8 beats on next jump (which includes jumping to hotcues OR using the jump button)
    -JumpSync: a toggle for each deck which, when enabled, automagically (via script) syncs this deck to the other on this deck's next nonconsecutive beat
    -New modes! regular DJ mode, Cuing mode, Song-select mode, and Sampling mode
    -Customizable LED sequencers for each deck which now robustly work down to the QUARTER note!
    -A button which will assert the status of all LEDs. This ensures the quneo's LEDs are consistent with mixxx, always subtly important and vital when switching modes.
    -start/stop recording, with the quneo's pretty red recording button

As a note, I feel like this version of the preset definitely has a steeper learning curve: I imagine this comes with a higher skill cap.
Last edited by wolfbiter on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
wolfbiter

Postby gimzo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:52 am

Hi
sorry for hijacking the thread.
I'm trying to make mixxx send beats to my (QLC) light desk through midi, but I can't find information on how to get beat pulses into a script, and your source is really large. Is there any documentation on this?
Thanks
gimzo

Postby wolfbiter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:01 am

Not that I know of - I wrote my own stuff which is based on a combination mixxx's beat_active and VuMeter controls in http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/mixxxcontrols. The VuMeter is pretty simple because it captures the kicks really nicely, and also makes it so LED's won't pulse during downtimes in the song (VuMeter is low when there is little sound).

Hope that helps!
wolfbiter

Postby wolfbiter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:48 pm

gimzo wrote:I can't find information on how to get beat pulses into a script, and your source is really large. Is there any documentation on this?

In case you were asking for documentation on my source, I can point you towards the exact (commented) functions which handle my beats.
Go here, which is the raw of the driving script: https://raw.github.com/wolfbiter/kane-q ... scripts.js
Using the index, you can see which sections do what - specifically, i think the things you're interested in are Time Keeping (TK) and Beat Handling (B) under the header 3) Functionality.
You can jump to those sections in the code because (TK) and (B) are unique combinations of characters in the script, and therefore easy to search.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11/12 Update:

The 1.0 is officially released! The newest features include the above as well as:

- every button (every corner of every pad) and every LED is mapped to useful functionality in order to maximize the dj's potential
    - demo and tutorial videos for beginners
    - complete documentation which can bring a new user from 0 to 60 in no time
    - auto nudge, to easily and unnoticeably change BPMs over a long period of time (useful for live mixing)
    - hotcue LEDs - different LED colors for hotcues that are coming up and hotcues which have passed
    - perfected jumping (it now jumps 100% on the beatgrid)
    - Visualizer mode!
    - now, all the LEDs pulse strongly to the beat (while still primarily encoding useful information)
    - master and deck VuMeters
    - LED beat counters to keep track of where you are in a track (helps immensely for lining up live transitions)
wolfbiter

Re: [v1.0] Kane Quneo Mixxx Preset : For The Control-Hungry

Postby ddouglas666 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi Kane,
My name is Diane Douglas. I'm one of the lead software designers at KMI. Just wanted to say that I love your QuNeo preset, really nice job customizing. I wrote the QuNeo/Mixxx preset that comes with the QuNeo software installer, and I wanted to get in touch with you to see if it would be cool for us to include your preset as well? We would also love to link to your demo videos on our website if you wouldn't mind. They look really awesome. Congratulations on some excellent development work. Also, be sure you check out the public beta of QuNeo 1.2 - we have included a lot of new features in our software and firmware including pad banks, toggle mode for all notes and pressure, as well as some editor features that make customization a lot smoother and faster - though it looks like your preset doesn't really need anything new haha.
Thanks so much,
Diane
ddouglas666

Postby wolfbiter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey Diane,
Thank you so much for the active endorsement, it means a lot to me! The rest has been replied to via email.
Best,
Kane
wolfbiter

Postby wolfbiter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:41 pm

2/11/13 Update:

Glorious day, the Kane QuNeo Mixxx preset has officially reached v1.1! This version is largely bug fixes (the issues list is down to only 2 bugs and 0 criticals), but I'm happy to announce some shiny new features!

- Autoloop (easily activate reliable loop halves for a rise with a single button press)
    - Play/Pause Stutters (see note at bottom)
    - Hotcue Stutters (only while the deck is playing)
    - Jump Stutters (also only while the deck is playing)
    - Autojump (keep the beat number pressed down while in jump mode and the deck is paused to continue jumping)
    - Beat numbers changed from {1,2,4,8} to {1,4,8,16} to better match DJ needs
    - Fixed Levels and Cursors to be more intuitive
    - Included documentation on how I utilize 16 cues

NOTE: Stuttering is when a button activates on release rather than on press: It's a treat that makes accurate timing significantly easier.
wolfbiter

Re: [v1.1] Kane Quneo Mixxx Preset: For The Control-Hungry D

Postby skullkid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 pm

hello wolfbiter,

i can't remember how i came across your preset for the quneo except that it was through your video demo of it. first of all, allow me to say thank you for putting the work into building it. i am looking forward to using it but unfortunately i've been shot down several times and can not get past a certain point. i am notoriously thick, so forgive me if i'm missing something that should be obvious. here's what i've done:

i followed your instructions as best as i could understand them (some parts seemed to be a little bit open to interpretation, so i will explain those as i'm writing about them). i installed the software necessary to edit the quneo from the KMI site, then i installed the beta version of mixxx that your instructions are for. i then copied the .js and .xml files in your download to the 'controllers' folder in the mixxx directory.
i then plug in the quneo and open up the editor from the directory installed by the installer i got from KMI, which i now suspect was probably the wrong thing to do. i thought this because i later read in your notes that you have some scripts tailored to your preset. having came to that realisation, i still went ahead with the instructions of updating all presets in quneo editor and selecting DJ mode. then i opened up mixxx and selected within the options the activation of quneo as midi-controller and your preset as the one i wanted to use. after all that, nothing happened. there was no sensitivity.
this was when i realised that you must have meant opening up the quneo editor that was included in your preset pack. so i tried that and went through the same process, except this time when i go to update all presets with the quneo editor included in the preset package a loading bar appears (like before with the other editor) but it only reaches 68% before i get a crash error saying that quneo editor.exe has stopped working. i tried it a few times and it always happens at 68%.
i opened up mixxx again all the same and went through the same processes and the lights seemed to respond according to your preset, even when i loaded songs into decks by clicking on the appropriate menus with the mouse, but i couldn't actually control the program with the quneo. everything seems to respond (the led feedback, that is) when i mess about with the program using the mouse.

i had hoped to find a solution by reading through the forum but was met with not many posts at all, which surprised me because it's a really great preset. in any case, is this a problem you're familiar with or is this the first time you've heard about it? am i doing something wrong or is this one of those cases of an individual kink in the system? i am hopeful that you may have a suggestion for me.

in regard to diane douglas's response, maybe KMI has since included your preset as a standard and that somehow circumvents the issue i've been experiencing. i don't know though.

well, thanks for reading and thanks for the preset.
skullkid

Re: [v1.1] Kane Quneo Mixxx Preset: For The Control-Hungry D

Postby wolfbiter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:18 pm

TL;DR... Issue: QuNeo editor crashing when clicking "update all presets". Fix: Load each of the presets 5, 13, 14, 15, and 16 individually with the "update preset" button.

first of all, allow me to say thank you for putting the work into building it. i am looking forward to using it but unfortunately i've been shot down several times and can not get past a certain point. i am notoriously thick, so forgive me if i'm missing something that should be obvious

First, thanks so much for your interest and support! I want you to be able to use it, and I profusely apologize for not having read this forum post earlier! I will help you out to the best of my ability, with the added benefit that those who follow in your footsteps / with the same issues will be helped as well (I suspect the issue is not with you being "thick", but with my instructions being incomplete/unclear....)

i then plug in the quneo and open up the editor from the directory installed by the installer i got from KMI, which i now suspect was probably the wrong thing to do.

this was when i realised that you must have meant opening up the quneo editor that was included in your preset pack

You're totally correct about that being a mistake - if you open up the editor from KMI, my presets are not auto-populated. That's why I included the editor in the zip archive on my github - though it seems you figured that out

so i tried that and went through the same process, except this time when i go to update all presets with the quneo editor included in the preset package a loading bar appears (like before with the other editor) but it only reaches 68% before i get a crash error saying that quneo editor.exe has stopped working. i tried it a few times and it always happens at 68%.

*facepalm* this is totally my mistake. I think the way I packaged the QuNeo editor in my zip archive broke the "update all" button. The instructions in my github readme say this:
"Note for Mac users: For some reason, Update All Presets can result in a crash. If this happens, then go individually to each of the presets 5, 13, 14, 15, 16 and click "Update Preset". The corresponding pads on the QuNeo should flash in response to each update."
I'm not sure what platform you're running, but I think following the above note would work. It sounds like the issue may be more than just for Macs, so it sounds like I need to update the documentation and the included editor to save others from this same issue!

i opened up mixxx again all the same and went through the same processes and the lights seemed to respond according to your preset, even when i loaded songs into decks by clicking on the appropriate menus with the mouse, but i couldn't actually control the program with the quneo. everything seems to respond (the led feedback, that is) when i mess about with the program using the mouse.

It sounds like you were able to get the preset properly loaded in Mixxx, which explains the LED feedback on the QuNeo. However, if the above step of loading the QuNeo presets into the QuNeo failed, then my guess is that the QuNeo wasn't sending intelligible commands to Mixxx (which makes sense due to the update note working!), and Mixxx therefore did not respond.

TL;DR... Issue: QuNeo editor crashing when clicking "update all presets". Fix: Load each of the presets 5, 13, 14, 15, and 16 individually with the "update preset" button.

I hope that helps, and thanks for asking!
-Kane
wolfbiter

Next

Return to Controller presets/mappings