Vestax Typhoon Mapping for Mixxx 2.0+

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Vestax Typhoon Mapping for Mixxx 2.0+

Postby bestdani » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:43 am

Mappings for the Vestax Typhoon Controller

• A default mapping (Mixxx 2.0+) that acts as labeled on the console.
  • A customized (called enhanced) mapping that differes fromt the description and therefore adds many more features such as relative pitch, hotcues, more effect controls, more beatsync controls and much more.

Version History:
Mixxx 2.0+
Improved sync and filter behaviour for the enhanced mapping, added a normal mapping that acts as labeled on the console: (jump to)

Mixxx 1.12.0
2-6 beta - Adapted to new effect framework: (jump to)

Mixxx 1.11.0+
2-4 - minor changes and slip-mode controls for Mixxx 1.11.0 (jump to)
2-5 - Switch VU-LEDs temporarily to track position indication (jump to)

Mixxx 1.10.0+
2-2 - first published version (see text below)
2-3 - updated loop behaviour (jump to)

Hello alltogether,
I created a new mapping for the Vestax Typhoon MIDI Controller with enhanced features. It gives you more manual control but you can also take more advantage of the "new" quantized features.
Because Mixxx does not support a filter at the moment, the function of the "Filter" knob is useless. In the default mapping installed with mixxx you can turn on and off the scratch mode with this button.
In this new mapping the filter knob is used as a permanent shift button for some features, the pitch bend buttons do also other things than normally!

Standard Features
  • Touch the Jogwheel for scratching (the filter knob does not deactivate this behaviour in this mapping!) and turn it for forward and backward jog.
  • FX1 and FX2 activate the flanger for the corresponding deck.
  • Dry/Wet 1 controls LFO of the flanger, Dry/Wet 2 controls the depth
  • Song browsing, EQ and gain work as labeled on the controller.

Enhanced Features
Pitching
The Pitch-Bend + and - Keys switch from absolute to relative pitch mode, for even more accurate manual beatmatching.
  • + activates the absolute pitch mode: The Pitch range is the whole range selected in the preferences
  • - activates the relative pitch mode: Move the fader to the center position to set the pitch to the value it was when pressing the - button. Move the pitch fader to set the pitch relative to this position with higher resolution (can easily be customized in the midi script).

Playback Controls
The Filter knob switches between normal playback and hotcue controls
  • Filter light on: The playback controls work as hotcue buttons.
    'Play' - hotcue 1
    'cue' - hotcue 2
    'cup' - hotcue 3
    if a hotcue is set, the corresponding button is illuminated. Press the button to jump to this hotcue position. Hold down the shift button and press the button to delete the hotcue, the corresponding light turns off.
  • Filter light off: The playback controls work as labeled on the controller.

Looop Controls
Select the Loop behaviour with the Filter knob.
  • Filter light off:
    '-' - sets the loop in point
    '+' - sets the loop out point
    'loop' - exit the loop when activated or jump to and activate the loop when not.
    hold down 'loop' and turn the jogwheel: shift the loop in the corresponding direction. Touch the wheel for faster movement.
    hold down '-' and turn the jogwheel: move the loop in point in the corresponding direction. Touch the wheel for faster movement.
    hold down '+' and turn the jogwheel: move the loop out point in the corresponding direction. Touch the wheel for faster movement.
  • Filter light on:
    • loop deactivated:
      'loop' - sets a 4 beat loop (of course only if bpm information is given)
      '-' - sets a 2 beat loop
      '+' - sets a 8 beat loop
    • loop activated:
      'loop' - exits the loop
      '-' - halves the loop size (also of manual loops, bpm information is not needed!)
      '+' - doubles the loop size

Tips and Tricks:
Set a 1 beat loop: Ensure that the filter light is on. Then press the loop '-' fast twice. (Or three times even faster for 1/2 beat loop)
Set a 16 beat loop: Ensure that the filter light is on. Then press the loop '+' fast twice. (Or three times for a 32 beat loop).

If the "center" is too low (too high) in the relative pitch mode to reach the pitch needed, move the pitch fully up (fully down) and press '-' again to shift the center. You can also avoid the insensitive center of the pitch fader with this technique.
I recommend to use the absolute mode only for rought pitching and then stay in relative mode and shift the pitch are if necessary.

Maybe I will post a demonstration video soon.

Feel free to edit this mapping and share your version. I plan to define constants for some sensivities, to make it easier customizable.
Attachments
Vestax Typhoon2-2.zip
Version 2.2.0a (loop bug fixed)
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
Last edited by bestdani on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 10 times in total.
bestdani

Update 2.3

Postby bestdani » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Hello alltogether,
I've updated this mapping with even more features which mainly affect the loop controls! All the other controls work as in version 2.2.

I've made a demonstraion video with all the features including the updated 2.3 ones.

Looop Controls in Version 2.3
Select the Loop behaviour with the Filter knob.
  • Filter light on [changed in 2.3]:
    '-' - sets the loop in point
    '+' - sets the loop out point
    'loop' - exit the loop when activated or jump to and activate the loop when not.
    hold down 'loop' and turn the jogwheel: shift the loop in the corresponding direction. Touch the wheel for faster movement.
    hold down 'loop' and press '+' to move the loop one loopsize forward (works with an active and inactive loop) [new in 2.3].
    hold down 'loop' and press '-' to move the loop one loopsize backwards (works with an active and inactive loop) [new in 2.3].
    hold down 'loop' and press 'play', 'cue' or 'cup' to move the loop to the corresponding hotcue position (remember you are in hotcue mode, when "filter" is illuminated; works with an active and inactive loop) [new in 2.3].
    hold down '-' and turn the jogwheel: move the loop in point in the corresponding direction. Touch the wheel for faster movement.
    hold down '+' andturn the jogwheel: move the loop out point in the corresponding direction. Touch the wheel for faster movement.
  • Filter light off [changed in 2.3]:
    • loop deactivated:
      'loop' - sets a 4 beat loop (of course only if bpm information is given)
      '-' - sets a 2 beat loop
      '+' - sets a 8 beat loop
    • loop activated:
      'loop' - exits the loop
      '-' - halves the loop size (also of manual loops, bpm information is not needed!)
      '+' - doubles the loop size

Always feel free to edit this mapping and share your version.
Attachments
Vestax-Typhoon-2-3.zip
Mapping Version 2.3
(3.85 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
bestdani

Re: Enhanced Vestax Typhoon Mapping for Mixxx 1.10.0+

Postby Chris2000SP » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Hmm, i want to download it but it says "attachment does not exist anymore".
Like that video.
Reloop Jockey 3 ME
Traktor Kontrol F1
Mumble Server: mumble.natenom.com (Ger)
Chris2000SP

Postby bestdani » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:05 am

Did you tried it again? The link works on my machine at the moment (http://www.mixxx.org/forums/download/file.php?id=673).
bestdani

Postby Chris2000SP » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Love it. I tested this mapping today :mrgreen:
Thank you.
Reloop Jockey 3 ME
Traktor Kontrol F1
Chris2000SP

Enhanced Vestax Typhoon Mapping for Mixxx 1.11.0+

Postby bestdani » Wed May 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi there, I've just made a minor change which takes advantage of Mixxx' 1.11.0 slip mode:

New in 2-4
  • Song-List Button activates slip mode on Deck 1 and 2 while holding it down. Switching the Library category downwards by pressing that button has been dropped (I never used this).
  • I totally forget to map the sync buttons (I don't use them normally, but nobody complained) - they are mapped in this version!
  • Just added a little gimmick: The sync buttons flash according to the beatgrid
    If you think this is annoying and you don't like blinking stuff (I've to admit that I've deactivated it for myself) just remove line 43 and 44 in the "Vestax Typhoon 2-4-scripts.js" file or make them a comment by putting a double forward slash "//" in front of each line.

Now enjoy a slipping 1.11 and feel free to post suggestions or bugs. ;-)
Attachments
Vestax Typhoon2-4.zip
Version 2-4 for Mixxx 1.11.0+
(4.39 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
bestdani

Re: Enhanced Vestax Typhoon Mapping for Mixxx 1.11.0 and 1.1

Postby bestdani » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:16 pm

New feature in version 2-5:
  • The volume LEDs can now be used as a track-position indicator by holding down the corresponding "Load"-button for the deck, while the deck is playing. The green and yellow LED indicate the position in percent. The red LED will be lit if there is less than 60s to play. If the deck is not playing, the load button works normal for track loading.
Attachments
Vestax Typhoon2-5.zip
Mapping version 2-5
(4.84 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
bestdani

Re: Enhanced Vestax Typhoon Mapping for Mixxx 1.10.0 and 1.1

Postby Chris2000SP » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:19 pm

I don't know what you are doing because i have get away my Vestax Typhoon to my sister, but i push you to move forward and make a great mapping for it.
So have fun while codeing.
Reloop Jockey 3 ME
Traktor Kontrol F1
Chris2000SP

Re: Enhanced Vestax Typhoon Mapping for Mixxx 1.11 (1.12 bet

Postby bestdani » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Edited the mapping for use with 1.12 beta1.

Just a quick overview:
FX1 and FX2 now activate the effect units 1 and 2, the dry/wet parameters controls the corresponding dry/wet parameter, the eq faders can also control parameter 1 through 3 of the effect units 1 and 2 while the song list button is held down.
When the filter button is activated the jogwheels now control the "filters" (quick effect knobs) as designated on the controller, if you touch the platter you can scratch anyway.

A detailed description will be posted when 1.12 is stable.

If anyone uses this mapping and has suggestions how to make the most benefit out of the 1.12 effects feel free to post suggestions, also feel free to post bugs.
Attachments
Vestax Typhoon 2-6 beta.zip
(5.04 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
bestdani

Re: Enhanced Vestax Typhoon Mapping for Mixxx 1.11 (1.12 bet

Postby naught101 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks bestdani, this mapping rocks! Much better than the default one in Mixxx... the jog wheels work much better than the default (un-touch detection makes it possible to scratch properly).
naught101

Next

Return to Controller presets/mappings