DDJ-SB3 Deck 3/4

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Re: DDJ-SB3 Deck 3/4

Postby Ken-Cee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:04 am

has anyone completed mapping the SB3? im having trouble with looping.
Ken-Cee

Postby DJ_DIY » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:59 am

Hey all, Any updates on the outstanding issues for the SB3?

Thanks
DJ_DIY

Postby javier » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi

I am also interested in getting the SB3 into the Mixxx. I've done a few gigs using the SB2 mappings on the SB3, so it's functional for me.

I went ahead and set up a Github repo for the mapping files, hoping to maybe get all of us working together instead of separately: https://github.com/Dancephy/Mixxx-Pioneer-DDJ-SB3. Hopefully we can centralize our efforts there. The files committed at this time are the same as the SB2 ones with the namespaces changed, as was mentioned earlier.

I started looking at the issue with the 3/4 decks and it seems the mapping is treating the deck 3 and 4 buttons as SHIFT instead of a separate button. I just started looking last night so haven't found an answer yet. If anyone has made any progress or wants to add a PR, that would be great.

On a related note, I tried creating an account on the wiki and was unable (it called me a spammer). I was trying to follow the process and start the SB3 page on the wiki. In the meantime I am going to update the readme there as if it were the wiki page but if anyone know how to get a wiki account, let me know.

First post, so apologies if I did something wrong. I tried follow the guidelines.
javier

Postby Be. » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Thank you for working on this. As noted on the wiki, please fork the mixxxdj/mixxx repository and add the mapping files to the res/controllers folder so you can make a pull request to include it in Mixxx later.

Note that the code for the DDJ-SB2 mapping is a bit of a mess. It started from the DDJ-SB mapping which predates the Components library. I was visiting a friend who happened to have a DDJ-SB2 and modified some parts of it to use the Components library, but I only had a few hours so I didn't have time to finish that.

Could you take a screenshot of the error message you get when trying to register for the wiki?
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby javier » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It is starting to make sense now where things are vs where they should be with this mapping.

I managed to create a login just now as I was trying to create a screenshot, so all good on that side.

I wanted to say that after going through this mapping file and seeing what's involved, I have to say the folks here are a committed group. Wow. Congrats.
javier

Postby Fletcher » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:34 pm

Thank you for doing this, Javier! I feel like I should plug in my SB3 and try to make some progress, now that there's a github up. I'd like to get the transport controls (bottom set of pads) going at least for decks 1/2..

Part of the problem is that I'm indecisive about how to map a bunch of things, because I don't actually use Mixxx at a very sophisticated level, but I'll see if I can help!

THANK YOU for describing the relative age of the SB2 mapping, and pointing me to Components. That got me to the right page in the Wiki -- I have been struggling to wrap my head around all the complexity in Mixxx and figure out best practices, and this seems immensely helpful. I'm actively avoiding thinking about work today, and developing some piece of a modern DDJ-SB3 mapping might be the ticket..
Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Ok, newbie question: I'm looking at applying some of what's in the midi-components documentation to a fork of Javier's repo, but the documentation seems to be written with the idea of a MIDI device that always outputs the same noteon/noteoff for each physical button no matter which deck layer is active. From reading the docs, the SB3 keeps track of whether or not the deck3/deck4 button is active, and actually sends different noteon/noteoff values. This is my first controller so I'm not sure how unusual that is, and the "right" way to map that -- part of me wonders if I shouldn't just map both the "deck 1" and "deck 3" notes to a "leftDeck" object, then let Mixxx sort it out based on the state of the deck selection switch, but I'm not 100% sure.
Fletcher

Postby JosepMa » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:58 pm

About the controller sending different noteon/off codes when using the extra decks, it depends from controller to controller. What is more usual is that buttons keep the codes, and use a different midi channel to differentiate, so probably that's why that documentation assumes it.
If your controller really changes the codes, then you will need to define different decks on your script instead of reusing the same and "switching" it.
JosepMa

Postby butyokkapitany » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:41 pm

Okay guys. Sorry for my late response, but finally I am able to report back with something cool. I was able to make some changes to the scripts and mappings, and with that, I think that the controller is now in a "usable" state, most of the stuff is working, but there is a lot to do to put it in a fully supported state. I was able to use the controller on some gigs, and I even streamed one mix on my Twitch channel.

So what DOES NOT WORK with this mapping/script:
- No Deck 3/4
- No Shift+ Hot Cue/Fx Fade/Pad Scratch
- No Hot Cue 5-8
- No Manual Loop In-Loop Out
- FX Fade kinda works, but its basically useless anyways
- Pad Scratch is the same thing
What DOES work now:
- Auto Loop: it works like in Serato, pressing the button creates a loop, halve/double buttons increase/decrease the size of the loop, pressing the Auto Loop button again exits the loop. Shift + Auto Loop jumps back at the last activated loop area.
- Shift + Vinyl enables Slip mode
- Master Cue button enables the Master mix into the headphone. Note: when you start Mixxx, make sure that light is OFF to work correctly, otherwise the Master mix is gonna be sent when the light is OFF, and that can be confusing.
- Every other stuff (FX, Browsing, Sync, Key Lock, Auto DJ) is unchanged and does fully work. Please refer to the DDJ-SB2 Wiki to how to use those
- The Master Level knob only controls the controller's RCA output level, and the Headphone knob does the same with the Headphone Jack

As I said, there is a lot to do to make it fully functional, but I honestly think, that it is perfectly usable now for a 2 Deck setup. For the installation, please refer to https://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/controller_mapping_file_locations.
Hope you have fun!
Attachments
DDJ-SB3.midi.xml
Updated mapping for some buttons for the DDJ SB3
(181.42 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Pioneer-DDJ-SB3-scripts.js
Updated functions for DDJ SB3, updated TODO list
(45.48 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
-GNU is not UNIX.
-Where does it say that?
-In the name, GNU
butyokkapitany

Postby guilherme_otran » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:31 am

Hi Guys.

I finally got to work Deck 3/4. I'm also fixed some pad controls:
1. hot cues are working,
2. beat-jump working
3. sampler is, but the lights needs some fix, (i will do it later)

Loop section buttons are working too.

checkout: https://github.com/guilherme-otran/Mixx ... er-DDJ-SB3

also, expect more updates in this repo, there is more things i'm planning to fix and make work better.
guilherme_otran

PreviousNext

Return to Controller presets/mappings