Roland DJ-505

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Roland DJ-505

Postby hlzhs » Fri May 10, 2019 4:47 pm

I recently bought a Roland DJ-505 and started to create a Mixxx mapping for it. The thing is slightly bigger version of the DJ-202, which also has a mapping in development. I used that as starting point.

What does work?
  • Most basic knobs/sliders/buttons (play, sync, cue, volume, speed, EQ, Jogwheels)
  • Effect sections
  • Performance Pads (including LEDs) with Hotcue, Roll, Loop and Sampler modes
  • TR-S drum machine (including FX routing, custom samples and BPM sync... but no beatmatching yet)

What does not work?
  • TR-S sync beatmatching
  • Routing TR-S custom samples through the FX section
  • Effect Section "FX SELECT" button
  • Some Performance Pads modes (Slicer, Velocity, Cue Loop, Pitch Play, ...)
  • Shift button on Performance Pads
  • A few buttons (e.g. "ADD PREPARE" or "SLOT SELECT")
  • Probably Performance Pad Parameter Buttons (+/-)

The TR-S provides it's own input channels (channels 7-8 on Linux) that need to be mapped to "Auxiliary3". Also, you should map input channels 1-2 to "Auxiliary1" and channel 3-4 to "Auxiliary2". Those are needed for the PC/LINE/PHONO switches on the front of the device.

If someone has ideas, requests or wants to help out, feel free to comment in this forum thread or open a GitHub issue.

Links
Wiki Entry
Git Repository
hlzhs

Re: Roland DJ-505

Postby hlzhs » Sun May 12, 2019 10:25 pm

I just updated the wiki entry and added some documentation. Mapping also seen a bunch of improvements: I added Cue Loop, Pitch Play and Velocity Sampler modes for the performance pads, added support for TR-S/Sampler FX, fixed a bunch of other issues, etc.

Remaining issues so far:
  • TR-S sync beatmatching (current workaround is using the NUDGE button).
  • Selecting Effects via FX SELECT buttons is not implemented yet
  • Sorting the library by BPM/Song/Artist/Key does not work since no Mixxx controls seem to exist for it
  • A few missing buttons (ADD PREPARE/SLOT SELECT)
  • VINYL mode
  • PHONO CH Input Select (might work, not tested yet)
  • Some performance pad modes are missing (Slicer, Slicer Loop, Saved Loop, Flip)
  • There might be some bug in the version of Mixxx that I'm using which leaves some Sampler Slots unaffected by engine.setValue calls

Other than that, the mapping fairly complete now, but hasn't seen much testing and thus might still be a bit buggy. If someone else owns a Roland DJ-505, it would be nice if you could test and give some feedback.
hlzhs

Postby tapir » Mon May 13, 2019 6:17 am

Great, thank you for working on this!

Please consider to create a pull request for your mapping. Mark it as work-in-progress [WiP] to indicate that it is not ready for merge and needs some more testing. Add a check list with the missing features to the PR and tick them when done. You might also post the permanent URL of the PR here and temporarily add it to the wiki until it has been merged.

We already have a PR for the DJ-202 https://github.com/mixxxdj/mixxx/pull/1595.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby hlzhs » Mon May 13, 2019 6:50 pm

hlzhs

Postby hlzhs » Sun May 26, 2019 6:24 pm

The PR has been merged, the mapping is now in master.
hlzhs

Postby dogo77 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:13 am

hlzhs wrote:Other than that, the mapping fairly complete now, but hasn't seen much testing and thus might still be a bit buggy. If someone else owns a Roland DJ-505, it would be nice if you could test and give some feedback.

Hi hlzhs,

So i decided against the 707 and ordered the 505 which arrived just yesterday.
Running mixxx 2.2.2 with Linux 5.2-rt, i copied the 505.xml and .js from github into my local Installation.
What shall i say. It works! Far better than expected i have to say. There was an real wow-effect :D
That colorful wave wandering over the Controller when mixxx is starting, is that from your script? that just looks awesome

while exploring everything it happend couple of times i accidentaly activated a Loop and then...wuah, how to stop it! But thats just because i'm really used to my good'ol VMS4 :lol:

Having a birthday to play at tomorrow i`ll test it more and try to get used to this new Controller.

Thank you a lot for this mapping, that was really a supreme experience to buy something, plug it in and go playing!
archlinux x86_64 · mixxx1.11 · mixxx 2.2 · american audio vms4 · Roland dj 505
dogo77

Postby dogo77 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:55 pm

So i had my first gig with the 505 yesterday and everything went well :D
once again: thank you so much for this mapping, i'm enthusiastic!

i noticed 2 minor things that were a bit irritating, and i don't know whether they come from mapping or from mixxx itself.

1)
usually i load a track into a deck and set my desired starting position by carefully moving the jogwheel 'till the cursor is at the desired position.
with my former controller that was very precise.

with the 505 there is a reverberation, or vibriation, or shaking in the waveform – i don't know how to describe it.
i'ts very hard to position the cursor precisely, even if i move the jogwheel supersupergentle.
i finaly had to enable Quantize Mode so at least the cursor jumped to a point where the beat is ;)

any way to change this behaviour?

2)
this is hard to describe, even harder since it only occured 3-4 times in a row of over 100 songs played.
situation was:
everything ready.
song loaded into deck.
marker visually on beat.
hitting cue: on beat.

hitting play: sliiightly off beat!
but not that there was a delay – more like if the cuepoint had moved a bit forward!
that was superstrange, but, as i said, it only happend for 3% of the songs ;)

any advices?

But to end this comment in a positive vibe – things i really liked:

• shift - jogwheel : never missed the touchstrip from the vms4 :ugeek:
  • loading tracks with the controller: i never used this with the vms4, found it anoying, but with this mapping it was actually fun! and worked!
  • autoloop
  • overall experience
dogo77

Postby Be. » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:04 pm

1. Mixxx's handling of jog wheels is affected by the size of the audio buffer set in the Sound Hardware preferences. What is yours set to? Try lowering it.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby dogo77 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:45 pm

Be. wrote:1. Mixxx's handling of jog wheels is affected by the size of the audio buffer set in the Sound Hardware preferences. What is yours set to? Try lowering it.

That did the trick.
As simple as this.

Audio buffer was set to 42.7ms, and after reading that paragraph https://mixxx.org/manual/latest/de-DE/chapters/preferences.html#audio-buffer about the connection between pops and reactivity again, i started from lowest possible value to finally hear no pops at 10.7ms, with 2 decks playing, key lock ON and 3 effects on every deck.

and indeed jogwheels worked as precise as i knew them.

I let that play for 10 Minutes and heard no pop nor glitches, but i guess
to be on safe side i better set it to 21.3ms?

But why did i set the audio buffer to 42.7?
I have to admit i completely missunderstood the meaning of that value – i thought of it like a cache for audio: higher is better. :?
yes, i should have :roll: rtfm
dogo77

Return to Controller presets/mappings