Numark Mixtrack Platinum Mapping

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Re: Numark Mixtrack Platinum Mapping

Postby JosepMa » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:08 pm

I don't undarstand why you think that adding direct-action functions are a better approach than an edit mode
I have used that in a previous mapping and i know how it works.
I already detailed what i would like to map and with which buttons. Did i need to explain it better?

Oh, and about loop move: in my other cobtroller map i also had a loop edit mode.
In that mode, the knob would do that.
JosepMa

Postby DjJB » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 pm

It`s more comfort for the reason while performing loopin transitions u ll wanna use effects and wet/dry ...maybe i am wrong
DjJB

Postby iamcodemaker » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:36 pm

Like I said, I don't have a good sense for how this should work. Personally I prefer direct action/chorded interaction vs modal interaction. I just re-read your description, it sounds reasonable. Just to make sure I get it:

• Shift+tap: enter beat grid mode
  • Tap: exit beat grid mode
  • Pitch+/-: adjust grid faster/slower
  • Knob: earlier/later
  • Sync: match from other track if playing else sync to play position (this might require some clarification, how do we know which deck to sync from if multiple decks are playing)?

And also maybe shift+BPM knob to change pitch/key.

The modal one provides more functionality so I'd say that's better. These aren't things I would use personally, so I'll leave it up to the interested parties to comment on the merrits of our options here. None of these intefere with the default mapping, so I'm open to implementing it, or merging in what you come up with.
iamcodemaker

Postby JosepMa » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:27 pm

The modal concept was found reasonable because it's not something that affects direcly the audio, but rather you use it when setting up the next track.

About the deck beat syncronization, that's the responsibility of Mixxx, not the controller mapping.

For key change, we want a direct action. Both shift+knob and tap+knob would do. I just wanted to leave shift+knob for other future features.

Finally, for loop edit i suggest the following:

Generally i try to add funtionality next to logical funtions.
On my older controller i added the ability to move the loop position when holding the loop enable/disable and moving the knob
JosepMa

Postby DjJB » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:01 pm

I cant undsterstand why complicated things when direct actions are suitable for hands like those i suggested .it`s simple mathematics ..about loop we have jump beat.for example mode edit we have at the effects section in that part entering in a mode fits perfect because we can control effect units seperately.so i prefer and suggest for grid direct actions
DjJB

Postby JosepMa » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:49 pm

DjJB: I am not against direct action, but it's important to make the correct decisions that don't limit us later down the road.

The beatgrid edit mode means that only one direct action is taken : (shift+tap) and once inside the edit mode, we might add additional actions that will not conflict with direct actions.
Will all direct actions we are taking three direct actions: shift+knob, tap+knob and shift+tap.

I agree that changing the track bpm with the knob is a great idea, better than using buttons, but now what direct action do I have free for changing the key with the knob?
JosepMa

Postby Mad House King » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:43 am

iamcodemaker, would you be able to post a video showing from start to finish the process of downloading and enabling the script and midi so that the controller actually works? My Mixtrack Platinum only seems to be doing the default lighting display even when I download and incorporate your preset and enable the controller it just stays blinking. HELP!
Mad House King

Postby iamcodemaker » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Sorry, I can't make a video. There should be instructions on the wiki. Once you have put the file in he correct location, you'll need to enable it in Mixxx preferences. If the lights are still blinking the the file is in the wrong place or not configured in the preferences.
iamcodemaker

Postby DjJB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:25 pm

JosepMa wrote:DjJB: I am not against direct action, but it's important to make the correct decisions that don't limit us later down the road.

The beatgrid edit mode means that only one direct action is taken : (shift+tap) and once inside the edit mode, we might add additional actions that will not conflict with direct actions.
Will all direct actions we are taking three direct actions: shift+knob, tap+knob and shift+tap.

I agree that changing the track bpm with the knob is a great idea, better than using buttons, but now what direct action do I have free for changing the key with the knob?

I agree with you that we might add additional commands , but changing track's bpm from Mixxx 's Interface it's not bad.Anyway , the most important
is that we have good ideas for this controller and i am glad for supporting Mixxx Team and i want to say huge thanks to iamcodemaker for making this code you are big :)
DjJB

Previous

Return to Controller presets/mappings