ION Discover DJ controller - possible future support?

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Re: ION Discover DJ controller - possible future support?

Postby pfelts » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm using the IDD with Mixxx 2.1 alpha pre and the default mappings (by Rik Prokup, I believe) which come with Mixxx 2.1 alpha. The IDD mostly works. Thanks for that! But, hitting the IDD "scratch\Search" toggle button throws an error: "Uncaught exception at line 1 in passed code: TypeError: Result Of Expression '(IonDiscoverDJ.toggle_scratch_mode_off)' [undefined] is not a function." Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks!
pfelts

Postby Be. » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Thank you for reporting the issue. It looks like that missing IonDiscoverDJ.toggle_scratch_mode_off is not actually needed. Please try using the attached mapping files. If it fixes the issue we'll update the mapping included in Mixxx.
Attachments
Ion-Discover-DJ-scripts.js
(8.08 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Ion Discover DJ.midi.xml
(14.64 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!
Be.

Postby pfelts » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks for your amazing quick reply and fix! With your updated mappings, the "scratch/search" toggle seems to function as expected: in scratch mode, touching the platter stops the playback and spinning the platter allows precise positioning within the track. In search mode, touching the platter does not stop the track and spinning the platter allows start-to-end positioning in the track. The toggle seems to work, with one quirk: it seems as if I have to hit the toggle twice to change modes. That's no big deal, though! Thanks so much! This community is amazing!
pfelts

Postby Be. » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:38 pm

pfelts wrote:it seems as if I have to hit the toggle twice to change modes.

Does this mapping fix that issue?
Attachments
Ion-Discover-DJ-scripts.js
(8.08 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Ion Discover DJ.midi.xml
(14.95 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Be.

Postby pfelts » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Yep! That seems to have done it! Awoooo!
pfelts

Postby pfelts » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Is there a recommended method to adjust the sensitivity of the scratch wheels on the IDD? I ask because the wheels seem to be so sensitive that if I'm heavy scratching on a track playing on deck 2, with a track paused on deck 1, just the vibrations of the IDD can cause the track on deck 1 to scratch, also. I do have the IDD set up on a somewhat wobbly folding table, so it may just be my issue and I need a sturdier table. Thanks. :)
pfelts

Postby Be. » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:11 pm

The fix has been committed, so the scratch button should be fixed in new master builds.

pfelts wrote:Is there a recommended method to adjust the sensitivity of the scratch wheels on the IDD? I ask because the wheels seem to be so sensitive that if I'm heavy scratching on a track playing on deck 2, with a track paused on deck 1, just the vibrations of the IDD can cause the track on deck 1 to scratch, also. I do have the IDD set up on a somewhat wobbly folding table, so it may just be my issue and I need a sturdier table. Thanks. :)

You'd have to adjust the scaling of the MIDI messages in the script's IonDiscoverDJ.Deck.prototype.jogMove function.
Be.

Postby pfelts » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:59 pm

Is it possible to mod the IDD so that SEARCH or SCRATCH action stops when the jog wheels no longer detect touch? I ask because the IDD's weighted jog wheels can continue to spin for a bit after the wheel is moved, sending track movement commands to MIXXX, when the wheels are no longer being touched. This seems to cause a bit of "sloppiness" in scratching. I confess that I've never scratched with a real turntable and slip mat (or even with other controllers) , so I don't know if real turntables and slipmats (or other controllers) work this way. Should I just be stopping the wheel with my thumb or cutting with my crossfader? Thanks!

EDIT: With more experience using my IDD, and after learning the difference between (and uses for) VINYL and CDJ modes (which the IDD calls SCRATCH and SEARCH modes), I've come to believe that the IDD's functionality is by design, at least in CDJ (SEARCH) mode. In CDJ (SEARCH) mode, being able to rapidly spin back the platter seems designed to facilitate fast SEARCHING through tracks. I don't yet grasp how the functionality is useful in VINYL (SCRATCH) mode, but I'm a complete newb and I have SO much to learn. :)
pfelts

Previous

Return to Controller presets/mappings