splitting audio using qjackctl

Mod your Mixxx: Share your controller mappings, keyboard mappings, skin and script tweaks here!

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

splitting audio using qjackctl

Postby aqua- » Mon May 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi, im trying to do route my sound through qjackctl as follow: (tech info at the end of the post)
Have the master out through my laptop's speakers, while hearing the headphones channel on my headphones.
No need to explain why i need the second feature, however, i use at the moment the laptop speakers just for fun and practice. i'd like to simulate real situation as much as possible, where i can hear what im going to play next, but the audience does'nt.

So i configured mixxx as follow:
Screenshot from 2020-05-25 15-50-20.png
Screenshot from 2020-05-25 15-50-20.png (145.43 KiB) Viewed 1165 times

so channel 1 (called output_0 in JACK as i understand) is route to system, and channel 2 (called output_1 in JACK as i understand) route to system.

Now i configured my jack patchbay as follow:
Screenshot from 2020-05-25 15-53-06.png
Screenshot from 2020-05-25 15-53-06.png (50.64 KiB) Viewed 1165 times

with that rule output_0 is going through JACK in stereo (both playback_1 & 2).

So now my question is how do i make the master go to my laptop speakers even though i pluged headphones to my AUX, and in the same time make the headphones channel go to my actual headset?

thanks for helping

qjackctl version: 0.62
MIxxx version: 2.2.4
i do not have a dedicated soundcard, i use my motherboard.
aqua-

Re: splitting audio using qjackctl

Postby Be. » Tue May 26, 2020 1:17 am

I am doubtful it is possible to do this. This is likely a hardware limitation. Perhaps with some low level trickery in the driver for your audio interface you might be able to get it to work somehow, but I suspect the hardware has a switch that routes both analog output channels to either the speakers or headphone jack. You can however send the master output to one side of the headphone jack and the headphone output to the other with a DJ splitter cable. You don't need JACK for this; you only need to configure Mixxx with mono outputs. Otherwise, you'd need a separate audio interface.
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby aqua- » Tue May 26, 2020 1:02 pm

Be. wrote:I suspect the hardware has a switch that routes both analog output channels to either the speakers or headphone jack.

that's what i suspect as well, but i kindda thought the switch is not analog, but digital and so i might bypass it.
The reason i thought so is that when entering setting-->sound in the output section i am able to choose weather i'd like to hear from speakers or headphones, so the sound manager can definitely approach the switch, however i dont know if the hardware does allow only one option to be chosen at once or is it just "narrow mildness" of the sound manager to not suggest a mixture.

Anyway, i have 2 problems with your solution:
1. That way i only get a mono in each channel and i dont like listen to the music that way
2. more importantly - it is really hard to distinguish the channels that way, and frankly it does not simulate reality very well. when i use my friend's equipment i put on the headphones and hear the second deck playin while the amps play the firsts deck, so with a good pair of headphones i can pretty much isolate the outside to work on the shift
aqua-

Postby Be. » Tue May 26, 2020 2:51 pm

1. Yes, but that's the compromise you have to make if you aren't going to get an audio interface.
2. That is the point of the DJ splitter cable, so you send one channel to headphone and one to speakers.
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Return to User Customizations