CDJ setup: Autoload USBstick like on CDJ possible?

Mod your Mixxx: Share your controller mappings, keyboard mappings, skin and script tweaks here!

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

CDJ setup: Autoload USBstick like on CDJ possible?

Postby revast » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Autoload USB stick like on CDJ possible?

Hello,

I have thought of having Mixxx to operate as close as possible to a (Pioneer) CDJ setup. We use an external mixer, so just the playback and media browsing should work as expected.

That is, we are a collective of 12, and have guest artists quite often, and it would be great to have little to no learning curve for all to operate.

I have thought of these things:

- Finding the right Controllers (https://dark-controller.com/darkfader/ https://dark-controller.com/darkwheel)

These are goregeus, High quality built with High grade parts (Original spare part Technics 1210 faders / Pioneer CDJ-2000NX2 Buttons !!! / Metal knobs (no plastic!) )

The idea is that we would pack these together with a little (touch-enabled) Display and a Metal-Built USB HUB, and mount them into a 19" Rack/Box with Backend Laptop (Linux based..), Soundcard etc.. hidden, and just the Power Plug and Audio Jack Plugs etc. would be visible on the Backside Panel.

- Customizing Mixxx as needed (I just tinkered around with the minimal themes from https://github.com/LorenzoBalducci96/custom-cdj by now, but already looks quite useable - is it possible to also have the File.. Library... Menu blended out?)

Now my problem is the lack of "Automounting" of USB Sticks. (I know that usb sticks mount automatically in the Computer Menu...)
But as the workflow is at the CDJs, an Artist comes with stick, plugs it in, and wants to browse his files immediately.
Now forgive me if I am wrong with this (still Mixxx noob), but I could not find a means to enable this workflow in Mixxx.

Ideally, the Stick would show up in the top Level view in the left side of Library. Even if thats not (yet) possible, it should be possible that Mixxx would jump automatically to the "Root" folder of the USB Stick, and expand all subfolders on the left.. The" darkwheel" controller has a clickable jog wheel, like a CDJ, so it should be then possible to browse the directories with it alone, including subdirectories (again forgive me when this is already possible). In fact, it would be best to have a means to blend out all other elements of the left Library view, if possible.

Now to think the Workflow through to the end, when the Artist is leaving, the Stick is unmounted, and the whole tracks from the Stick should then be removed from the "Library"/View...

Now, when I think it all through, it all sounds doable with Mixxx, which excites me. And all the bells and whistles which are there (cue, effects, key (lock), samples, DVS...) are a bonus, which could be easily accessed with the controller, too (as it supports several layers of assignments per knob/button), but I want to keep it as it simple and straight-forward as possible to the standard CDJ useage.. to kill the learning curve
revast

Re: CDJ setup: Autoload USBstick like on CDJ possible?

Postby Be. » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:42 am

If you want to imitate Pioneer CDJs, I recommend getting a Pioneer controller instead of these esoteric and expensive controllers that won't provide as much control. I think it is more likely that guest DJs will be familiar with common Pioneer CDJ controllers than those esoteric controllers. How did you intend to send audio to the mixer using those? Does your mixer have a built in USB audio interface? Mixxx kinda works with touchscreens but we haven't really put much effort into making it nice to use this way. Using a controller for most functionality is easier and doesn't require moving hands between the controller and touchscreen.

Mixxx 2.3 will support reading USB drives from Rekordbox including cue points and playlists.

Ideally, the Stick would show up in the top Level view in the left side of Library. Even if thats not (yet) possible, it should be possible that Mixxx would jump automatically to the "Root" folder of the USB Stick, and expand all subfolders on the left.. The" darkwheel" controller has a clickable jog wheel, like a CDJ, so it should be then possible to browse the directories with it alone, including subdirectories (again forgive me when this is already possible). In fact, it would be best to have a means to blend out all other elements of the left Library view, if possible.

Is it really so hard to find the USB drive on the left pane of the library? I'm not really in favor of automatically switching the library view to show a newly plugged in USB drive. This could be an unwelcome disruption from browsing the library. I am not sure it is safe to assume that because a user plugs in a USB drive while Mixxx is running that they want to browse its contents immediately. I am not in favor of removing access to the main Mixxx library either.
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby revast » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 am

I recommend getting a Pioneer controller

Yes, I know they are supported, but we are aiming for a 19" Rack Solution (Dub Soundsystem)

DJs will be familiar with common Pioneer CDJ controllers than those esoteric controllers.

Sure, we can always add one to the setup, but I wanted to have the "next best thing" built in our Rack. As long as all of our collective would use this, "mission is accomplished"; If other artists would use it as easily as a CDJ, it would be a bonus.

How did you intend to send audio to the mixer using those?

These controllers are MIDI only. So the idea of the setup is with Laptop /or RPi4 and external USB Soundcard "Hidden in the box", and only display and controllers (and an USB hub) "outside" for operation, built-into the rack, with fixed cabling (actually a backplate with plugs on the backside which double the power and audio jack plugs which in turn are connected to the mixer) - so no extra "building up Gear" before the gig.

Mixxx kinda works with touchscreens

Thats just a bonus, and would probably only be used for "Rewinding the waveform" (I would also like put this on a midi knob if possible, together with "jump to start" and "wait for start of playing until holding the very same button is released", all in one button; propably its easier just to play a rewind sample though..), or maybe a bit of Looping if it works fine.

Is it really so hard to find the USB drive on the left pane of the library?

Nope, but how are you gonna do it without a mouse and only with a jog wheel?

I'm not really in favor of automatically switching the library view to show a newly plugged in USB drive.

Me neither as a default function, but as optional operating mode, which can be toggled in preferences, I would find that quite useful.

I am not in favor of removing access to the main Mixxx library either.

Well, that could also be bound to that operating mode, for example. Maybe this is not really necessary, but the less items on the screen, the the better for a clear naviagtion - thats what this is all about. On a CDJ, you also just see the contents of the stick when you plug it in, and thats the idea behind this.
revast

Postby Chaleses » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:07 am

hi.

i've made a custom "cdj" with rpi and arduino and since im using mixxx 2.2.0 i cant use touchscreeen support for the library, so i've managed to control the library via 3 midi buttons, 1 for moving up, 1 for moving down and 1 more for entering a directory.(ive also thought on implementing an encoder with push button "cdj style" in a future) However if i want to insert another usb drive i have to close and open again mixxx so the usb drive get registered in the library. i think it'd be really useful to automatically reload the library whenever it detects a new drive connected(or idk if this is currently possible somehow).

Now that i am writing this i will try map another midi button to close the directory, maybe this way the media drives folder gets refreshed.

Cheers!
what is a genre?
Chaleses

Return to User Customizations