Which open source audio cutting software?

Random non-Mixxx stuff...

Moderator: garth

Which open source audio cutting software?

Postby bgmnt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 am

Hi,

i am trying to trim a mix at the moment and audacity lacks of a thing like a beatgrid like in mixxx) or frame-like thing over the whole recording. There are workarounds, but I was wondering, if there is other audio cutting software, that does the trick of exact cutting out returning parts of a song (e.g.) easily and accurately. Open source preferred, should run under Linux (Fedora).

I read, that shotcut, an open source video editing tool for linux, can do audio also - I will give this a try.

More input is welcome :)

Greetings

Karsten
bgmnt

Re: Which open source audio cutting software?

Postby Be. » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Try Ardour
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby bgmnt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:06 pm

Ah, right, Ardour... It's even included in my Ubuntu Studio... my bad. Sounds good (features) and I definitely will give it a try. When I get it to run, i ran into this jack struggle with session creation error...
Thanks!
bgmnt

Postby kazakore » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:37 am

It's not ideal but in Audacity if you just want a visual representation of a constant beat you can use Generate Rhythm Track (ie a metronome track) and use the beats it generates as your reference. Ardour would have much more options but may be a little over complicated. Surprised not to find a way to change the ruler in Audacity to show Beats rather than Time but so far I've failed to find such option....
kazakore

Postby bgmnt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:44 pm

kazakore wrote:Surprised not to find a way to change the ruler in Audacity to show Beats rather than Time but so far I've failed to find such option....

Yep, Audacity is more hearing than seeing. And I still didn't make it to use Ardoure - I have the common problem with this not creatable session that annoys me so much - far away from user reality and so.

Thanks for the Generate Rhytm Track suggestion!
bgmnt

Return to Mixxxscellaneous (Off-Topic)