Linux DEs - What do you use?

Random non-Mixxx stuff...

Moderator: garth

Linux DEs - What do you use?

Postby kazakore » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm a long time Ubuntu Studio user and even before settling on that distro I had tried many DEs and at the time (2012ish) I decided XFCE suited my way of working the best. With Ubuntu LTS release time just around the corner it's almost time to upgrade the system so thought I would have a look at a few others.

Given both Cinnamon and MATE a go as generally heard good things about them both.

Cinnamon seemed generally nice but was a little clunky with a non-standard audio set-up (qjackctl applet didn't work/display properly, too many system shortcuts using key combinations I have set for use and it didn't seem to want to override them.)

MATE I think I preferred out of the two, didn't take too long to get themes looking how I like, a few teething problems (but XFCE takes some setting up too) most of which I got around in the one day test drive.

Whichever way I go I think I will stay with Thunar, as it's bulk rename capability with the media files plugin is something I use a lot when organising files for mixing with. As to the other niggles as always it's about choosing the fewest ones that really affecting your way of working most severely.....

But it has got me wondering what all you other Linux users out there use for your Desktop Environment???
kazakore

Re: Linux DEs - What do you use?

Postby rayzer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 pm

i switch around every now and then but xfce is my main one while i sometimes run a window manager like JWM or fluxbox on top
rayzer

Re: Linux DEs - What do you use?

Postby zog » Thu May 03, 2018 4:15 am

xfce and only xfce, for years

consistent and lightweight, but very usable.
zog

Return to Mixxxscellaneous (Off-Topic)