Playing Mixxx with other audio applications

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Playing Mixxx with other audio applications

Postby NewMixer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:08 am

I have Ubuntu 8.10 and in the Mixxx FAQ it says that in Linux only one application can have access to the audio at a time. Well, here's a very likely scenario.

I am DJing at a Party...everyone is having a blast...and some one comes to me and asks for a song he/she saw on YouTube. Like a good DJ I find the song on YouTube...but I can't play it unless I shutdown Mixxx, open Firefox look for the song and then play it. By the time I do that food will be flying my way :o

What am I suppose to do? I don't wan't to go back to Windows. Is there a way that the audio can be shared among Mixxx and other applications in Ubuntu?
NewMixer

Re: Playing Mixxx with other audio applications

Postby dj_aurora » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:21 pm

no i don't think so
it's something Ubuntu can't do.
or any other version of linux I've tried
dj_aurora

Postby pi r squared » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:21 pm

I think I've had the audio card still accessible by other applications by using ALSA, but now I use JACK so it's definitely not an option. Which do you use?

To do what you suggest, I have to say I'd be tempted to boot up Frostwire rather than YouTube, download the song, browse and find it in Mixxx, and play it that way. Plus, of course, you would then delete that song to avoid copyright infringement ;-)
pi r squared

Postby NewMixer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Well, I went back to Windows Vista. Sorry my Ubuntu brothers and sisters...please don't look at me like that :x ...I promise I'll go back.

Anyways, I'm dual booting to both. It's pretty awesome, I can Mixxx and switch to YouTube to play a song from there. Also, I can play a CD simultaneous and even rip it without any hick ups.
NewMixer

Postby albert » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:52 pm

To be honest, that's a great solution. :)

The situation with audio on Linux is still a mess (ALSA/JACK/PulseAudio, agghhh!), I don't even have YouTube + Mixxx working. I don't know the exact reason why it doesn't work, but my guess is that it's something like this: We use ALSA through a layer called PortAudio which let's us do cross-platform audio easily. PortAudio is meant for professional audio applications, and I suspect it tells ALSA that we want exclusive access to a soundcard, because otherwise ALSA might do some software mixing and introduce extra latency.

Hope the party's good! :)
albert
Mixxx Developer

Postby prolix » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:41 am

If you can set up jack and get a jack compatible application to play the sound from the video, you should be able to route the audio to whichever output you want.

I use jack but the only problem is mixxx crashes and takes down every jack application if i enable capture in jack, that rules out timecode control for me right now.

Curious though, I can run jack and sill use alsa/oss applications and they still play sound while jack is up but it's just that i can't route audio between the applications, it just goes to the default output.
Maybe the tricks in my .asoundrc have something to do with it but it works here, if you want i can upload it.
prolix

Postby lotusallen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:32 am

I have the problem of trying to play YouTube and having mixxx open. Looking at these posts I was wondering if anything had changed since 2008
lotusallen

Postby daschuer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Not really.
You can either configure Mixxx to play side by side with youtube or you can pipe as our system sound through Mixxx's Aux input.
On which OS are you? Which way do you prefer?
daschuer
Mixxx Developer

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ