Multi-channel card headphone monitor instructions on Windows

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Re: Multi-channel card headphone monitor instructions on Win

Postby Marsbar » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:43 pm

The USB soundcard I just got (Behringer UCA222, very good for the money, under £20 from amazon) comes with an ASIO driver but you should not install them - just let Windows install standard USB audio drivers.

If you then download and install the free ASIO4ALL (as described above) you can configure it to manage both your internal soundcard and the USB card; if you then choose "ASIO" as the sound API in Mixxx configuration they will appear as "ASIO4ALL - Channels 1 & 2", "ASIO4ALL - Channels 2 & 3" and "ASIO4ALL - Channels 3 & 4"; channels 1&2 will be the internal card and 3&4 will be the USB card. I'm using the internal card for the headphones because the behringer has line-level outputs and sounds much better.

To reiterate, when I use the behringer drivers and drive it through ASIO4ALL it runs about 1/4s behind, so just dump them and use the standard Windows drivers. I have it configured with 1.45ms latency in mixxx and 64-sample buffer size in ASIO4ALL and it just works.

I still get the occasional bit of audio glitching, I'm not sure why - it's not CPU (it's running around 30%) and I can't imagine that it's USB bandwidth; I'll keep playing - knowing the way I am it'll turn out to be one of those things that I enjoy making it work more than I actually enjoy using it... :)
Marsbar

Postby shalty » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:54 pm

agos wrote:I think I found a way of monitoring even with a single output soundcard (I have a Realtek HD Audio on my notebook).
It's a bit complex but seems doing the job.
I've done it in Windows, but I believe the same results are achievable in Linux and maybe even in OSX.

I downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL (http://www.asio4all.com) and Jack (http://jackaudio.org/) and configured Jack as described here: http://jackaudio.org/jack_on_windows.
Then I started Jack Server (Jack PortAudio), Jack Control and Mixxx.
In Mixxx "Options" -> "Preferences" I choose "Sound API: ASIO" and matched sample rate and latency to Jack Control "Setup..." configuration.
Then I choose for Master "JackRouter - Channels 1-2" and Headphones "JackRouter - Channels 3-4".
I went to Jack Control and open the "Connect" window. Here I connected Mixxx "out1" and "out2" to System "playback1" and "out3" and "out4" to "playback2".
Now I hear Master Out on the left channel and Headphones Out on the right channel ;)

Hope it's useful :)
(I'm new here so I hope I haven't done anything wrong ^^")

Thank you! :) I was using a little trick with the realtek drivers to get the same results, but it was not an "universal" solution, and with jack we add low latency and the possibilty to use VST plugins and what not..

The only comment is that, for me at least, it's better to map out1 and out3 to playback1 (L-L to L) and out2/4 to playback2 (R-R to R)
shalty

Postby shalty » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Marsbar wrote:The USB soundcard I just got (Behringer UCA222, very good for the money, under £20 from amazon) comes with an ASIO driver but you should not install them - just let Windows install standard USB audio drivers.

If you then download and install the free ASIO4ALL (as described above) you can configure it to manage both your internal soundcard and the USB card; if you then choose "ASIO" as the sound API in Mixxx configuration they will appear as "ASIO4ALL - Channels 1 & 2", "ASIO4ALL - Channels 2 & 3" and "ASIO4ALL - Channels 3 & 4"; channels 1&2 will be the internal card and 3&4 will be the USB card. I'm using the internal card for the headphones because the behringer has line-level outputs and sounds much better.

To reiterate, when I use the behringer drivers and drive it through ASIO4ALL it runs about 1/4s behind, so just dump them and use the standard Windows drivers. I have it configured with 1.45ms latency in mixxx and 64-sample buffer size in ASIO4ALL and it just works.

I still get the occasional bit of audio glitching, I'm not sure why - it's not CPU (it's running around 30%) and I can't imagine that it's USB bandwidth; I'll keep playing - knowing the way I am it'll turn out to be one of those things that I enjoy making it work more than I actually enjoy using it... :)

From my own experience (and what i've read elsewhere), two different devices for output (instead of two outputs of the same device) it's a no-no... different clock signals makes difficult to make it sound right/in synch. So use only the internal or only the behringer, but not both at the same time (if you want it to sound right :))
shalty

Postby Cadius » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:13 am

This might sound dumb, but I had same problem. I realized I was being stupid and forgot to turn Pre/Main all the way to the left to head the preview but cut out the mian from headphones. Hope this helps also :)
Cadius

Postby Cptnjm » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Great instructions! Thank you. However, although I followed them to the letter, Mixxx still will not show me an option for Channel 3-4, through which I need to run either my cue headphones or main speakers.

I want to us my Beringher 202 USB Soundcard for the main speakers, and the internal (Soundmax) soundcard on my Windows laptop for headphone cueing, but no matter what I do, no Channel 3-4 option shows up to select. Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks.
Cptnjm

Postby Cptnjm » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:50 pm

agos wrote:I think I found a way of monitoring even with a single output soundcard (I have a Realtek HD Audio on my notebook).
It's a bit complex but seems doing the job.
I've done it in Windows, but I believe the same results are achievable in Linux and maybe even in OSX.

I downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL (http://www.asio4all.com) and Jack (http://jackaudio.org/) and configured Jack as described here: http://jackaudio.org/jack_on_windows.
Then I started Jack Server (Jack PortAudio), Jack Control and Mixxx.
In Mixxx "Options" -> "Preferences" I choose "Sound API: ASIO" and matched sample rate and latency to Jack Control "Setup..." configuration.
Then I choose for Master "JackRouter - Channels 1-2" and Headphones "JackRouter - Channels 3-4".
I went to Jack Control and open the "Connect" window. Here I connected Mixxx "out1" and "out2" to System "playback1" and "out3" and "out4" to "playback2".
Now I hear Master Out on the left channel and Headphones Out on the right channel ;)

Hope it's useful :)
(I'm new here so I hope I haven't done anything wrong ^^")

I did the same thing, but I still hear the main output and headphone outputs both playing simultaneously through the main speakers and the headphones when I try to cue a song. If I slide the fader all way to the left, deck 1 output plays through both. If I slide the fader all the way to the right, deck 2 output plays through both. The middle position plays both songs at once. The headphone icon buttons don't help isolate the two signals at all.

What do I need to do to get this working?
Cptnjm

Postby REDEXES » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:07 pm

I just wanted to put this out there because I struggled with it for a couple of hours before finally figuring out how to make it work and I wanted to post it for anyone else having the same problem.

Windows 7 64bit
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB

Don't install ASIO4ALL (it didn't work for me)
Under Preferences > Sound Hardware, set Sound API to Windows WDM-KS
Set Master output to Saffire 6 USB > Channels 1-2
Set Headphone output to Saffire 6 USB > Channels 3-4
Make sure the O/P 3-4 button next to your headphone jack on the Saffire is engaged
Now the 1/4 inch outputs on the back of the Saffire are your master outputs and your headphone jack is your cue
DONE

I tried using ASIO (Focusrite ASIO AND ASIO4ALL) with no luck, and Windows DirectSound would not split the output signal (outputs 1-2 and 3-4 were the same). It took me a while to figure out that Windows WDM-KS was the only way to make it work. Hope this helps anyone having the same issue!
REDEXES

Postby tafelpoot » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:04 am

I have skype installed on my windows PC. Skype installs an extra audio driver "communication headphones".
In Mixxx, I use the following sound map in MME:
- main audio on "Speakers/HP"
- headphones audio on the "Communication Headphones"

This setup is okay for practice but not for a real gig ofc..
tafelpoot

Postby thejamminest » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:28 pm

If im using a laptop and do not have the green port for speakers, what would be the best thing to use? Are there usb cords that can plug into speakers?
thejamminest

Postby synthor » Thu May 21, 2015 7:43 pm

Important to know: the onboard-interface has to run in a non-stereo mode (4.1, 5.1 or higher). If not, you can't select all the single channels via the ASIO4ALL driver and you only see a stereo-pair, like using DX, MME or something. You can set the mode in the software which came with the crappy onboard shit. :D

thejamminest wrote:If im using a laptop and do not have the green port for speakers, what would be the best thing to use? Are there usb cords that can plug into speakers?

Laptops only have one stereo jack for speakers or headphone, so you only can listen to the master or cue channel. Except if you use the left channel as the master and the right as cue....

Buy a cheap usb-interface with four outputs at minimum.

I have an ESI U46SE. Runs great with Linux. :)
synthor

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ