Context Menus render black

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Context Menus render black

Postby isaakwit » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:58 am

Hey there fellow Mixxx-Commuinty!

After using Traktor on windows for a long time, I wanted to switch to an open source alternative for ethical reasons and I was really astonished by the functionality
these developers came up with and I am really happy so far.
Except one thing which is a bit of an eyesore! All the context menus are rendering just as black rectangles. The single elements remain clickable (for example the Options are accessible, if you know where to click), but it is absolutely impossible to explore the program further.. which is kind of essential for a new user.

I read that this same problems happens to users of vs code and chrome on linux too... maybe this is related to the use of electron?

I am using Linux Mint with Linux Kernel 5.0.0-32-generic (just the latest one)

Cheers
Fabian
isaakwit

Re: Context Menus render black

Postby Be. » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:37 pm

Which version of Mixxx are you using? One of the changes in 2.3 beta is adding our own application-specific styling to menus to match the colors of the rest of the skin.

We use Qt, not Electron. Electron wouldn't be appropriate for the performance demands of realtime audio software.
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby tapir » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 pm

tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby isaakwit » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Be. wrote:Which version of Mixxx are you using? One of the changes in 2.3 beta is adding our own application-specific styling to menus to match the colors of the rest of the skin.

We use Qt, not Electron. Electron wouldn't be appropriate for the performance demands of realtime audio software.

Alrighty, my bad!

So I use Mixxx 2.2.4 (build master r6803). I searched through the preferences and the manual, but I did not found a thing related to menu styling... or do you mean when I am installing custom themes?
isaakwit

Postby tapir » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Some packages like adwaita-qt5 for GNOME intercept how the Qt UI elements are displayed for your desktop theme to provide a native look&feel. We have no control over this.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby isaakwit » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Update: I just updated to 2.3 beta and the proble disappeared! Thank you for your quick replies.
isaakwit

Postby isaakwit » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:22 pm

New Update: Context Menu of Tracks functions, but the upper Menus (File, Options etc) are still black.
isaakwit

Postby tapir » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:33 pm

You could try to temporarily uninstall adwaita-qt5 to check if the native Qt look works correctly.

There are known issues with adwaita-qt5 v1.1.2. These have been fixed quickly after our feedback in v1.1.3 (adwaita-qt5-1.1.3-2 in Fedora)
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby isaakwit » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:41 pm

tapir wrote:You could try to temporarily uninstall adwaita-qt5 to check if the native Qt look works correctly.

There are known issues with adwaita-qt5 v1.1.2. These have been fixed quickly after our feedback in v1.1.3 (adwaita-qt5-1.1.3-2 in Fedora)

Thanks for the tip. I temporarily uninstalled adwaita-qt5 but it had no visible effect on mixxx.
isaakwit

Postby tapir » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:53 pm

Which Qt 5 version are you using? I can remember similar issues during development of 2.2 and earlier Qt 5 versions.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Next

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ