MacOS Catalina PortAudio Errors

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

MacOS Catalina PortAudio Errors

Postby theAsparagus » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:35 am

Hello,

Brief Background on System:
Prior to last week I was running a Hackintosh with Sierra and Mixxx was working fine. I happened to spill some vape juice on my motherboard that went unnoticed, and when that fried I found a Mac 6.1 being resold for a low enough price that it made more sense to do that. It came preloaded with Catalina as well as a bunch of other things. I loaded it up and everything else worked fine, some with a bit of tweaking but that was usually all completely obvious - I use this system as my primary recording studio system and I've experienced zero issues with using the interface I have in Logic Pro.

Problem:
I went to broadcast my Monday night live show tonight and Mixxx started giving me errors (this isn't uncommon as I typically use a secondary interface for headphone output of mic out) and so I went in to fix things and I set everything as it should be set up. I hit OK and started getting 'Error opening "Interface" Internal Port Audio error'. This happens whenever I change the interface to be either of the connected interfaces, or even when I set the main out or anything to be Loopback. I tried changing variables around and it just gave me the same error but with different "Interface" names.

The Mixxx boot-up error is "Mixx was configured without any output sound devices. Audio processing will be disabled without a configured output device." - despite this, they ALL show up and are selectable in the dropdown menus in preferences. Typically when they are unavailable in Mixxx, they just don't appear. Even hot swapping doesn't work, in my experience, with Mixxx.

Usually I'm able to fix issues with most software myself, but for this I've found myself so frustrated and annoyingly without any solutions I have been able to find online through searching in the way I search... which I think is pretty typical?

Any assistance would be appreciated, my specs are:
macOS Catalina 10.15.5
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6GB

My main audio interface is the UAD Apollo 8 Quad, and I like to connect a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as my secondary when I want to separate audio streams without going under my desk to swap cables around. Everything is up-to-date.

Please let me know if you need anything else. I'm not a Mac guy, by any means, I just grew into Logic - so I'm sure it's possible what I'm missing might be blatantly obvious to someone.

Thank you!
theAsparagus

Re: MacOS Catalina PortAudio Errors

Postby Be. » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:45 am

Can you attach your mixxx.log file after you get this error? That may have more details about the error.
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby theAsparagus » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:35 am

Attached here. I renamed the log file after the first error notice popped up on open, while the splash/loading window was still present.
Attachments
mixxx-openerror.log
(41.7 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
theAsparagus

Postby Be. » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:25 am

Unfortunately the log doesn't provide a more useful error message. :/ I see the audio interface you are using is a Thunderbolt interface, which is unusual but shouldn't be a problem as long as the OS supports it. Does Mixxx work with your Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby theAsparagus » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:21 am

It doesn't, also unfortunately. It seems to be an "everything" issue more than a specific or targeted interface or input.
theAsparagus

Postby theAsparagus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:55 am

So I guess the accessibility permissions aren't set at all, and I have no idea how to add Mixxx to the microphone category... installation doesn't attempt it itself either. Is it a known Catalina issue?

Edit: Ok so it's in "Accessibility" and is checked, but it's not under Microphone access permissions or anything else. Does this matter?

I should also mention that butt also shows the following error
PA: Format not supported: Internal PortAudio error
theAsparagus

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ