Cannot Open Mixxx After Having Installed Jack Audio

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Cannot Open Mixxx After Having Installed Jack Audio

Postby G-Power » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:07 am

Greetings. I am new to Mixxx, even though I have decent knowledge in computerised music-making.
I recently downloaded the Mixxx program from the official Mixx download website. I ran it a few times and everything worked fine.
I then thought I could connect it to Ableton Live 10 Lite using Jack Audio, which I have targetted to my ASIO4ALL v2 driver.
Following the installation and configuration for Jack Audio, I could not open Mixxx for more than a few seconds without it shutting down again. Only the splash screen shows for a few moments and no error messages are displayed.
I tried clearing the folder "C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Mixxx", but this doesn't help. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program and rebooting the computer, but all of these techniques have resulted as failures to fix the problem. Always the same result.

I am currently running an MS Windows 64bit machine.

Thank you.

G-Power
G-Power

Re: Cannot Open Mixxx After Having Installed Jack Audio

Postby RavKan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:04 am

I had Mixxx routed into Logic Pro connected via Jack Audio on my Mac (core audio) running Catalina yesterday. The only problem I had was not being able to have each deck in Mixxx using different outputs. Sorry, I probably didn't help your issue with Mixxx not opening on your windows machine.
RavKan

Postby G-Power » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:54 pm

Uninstalling Jack caused Mixxx to reopen successfully without even needing a reboot.
It looks like Jack and Mixxx are not compatible on my computer. Does anyone use a combination of Jack and Mixxx on their MS Windows machine?
Maybe I misconfigured Jack, and if this is the case, I would highly appreciate if someone could help me with this. The instructions I followed were displayed on the official Jack Audio website.
Maybe this is off-topic, but could I use my external audio interface instead of a virtual cable? It's maybe a very basic question, but I don't know how to do this.

Many thanks in advance.
G-Power

Postby JosepMa » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:01 pm

I only tried jack on a virtual machine some time ago.
It can work, but definitely you don't have to use ASIO4All for it, since it provides an ASIO driver.

The problem is that if Jack is not loaded when an application tries to list ASIO drivers (or validate Jack's ASIO), you will get a short hang of the application ( 10, 20 seconds..) because the driver waits trying to connect to the jack server.
JosepMa

Postby G-Power » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:21 pm

Does this mean that if I reinstall Jack and don't route it to Asio4all, and then open it before opening Mixxx, there is some chance that Mixxx should run succesfully?

P.S. Thank you so much for the response.
G-Power

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ