Broadcast external mixer

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Broadcast external mixer

Postby electromuis » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Hello,

Recently i borrowed a friends DJ table (gemini cdmp 7000) and i want to do some livestreaming with it through Mixxx. One of the issues i had was that i needed to use both windows audio ans asio audio. This i was able to fix through the use of VoiceMeter.

The problem i'm having now is that as soon as i enter an audiosource on the Record/Broadcast field, the broadcast stops getting audio. I already did some testing with mixxx 2.1, 2.2, 32x, 64x and got pretty much the same results.
- Recording to a file is no problem, audio comes through as expected
- When i leave the Record/Broadcast field empty, audio does come through like it should
- If i start the broadcast with something in the field the broadcast is silent
- If i start the broadcast with the field empty, then switch it to something WHILE still broadcasting, the audio hangs and keeps repeating the last sample is received (sounds like crashing)
- When i switch back to none in the just mentioned situation, the audio fixes itself again
- I tested this with ONLY windows audio, since i tought asio might have been screwing things up
- I'm on windows, and did the testing with vlc player and IceCast2 win32

Any ideas on how to fix this? Can people confirm this behaviour?
electromuis

Re: Broadcast external mixer

Postby Be. » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:45 pm

It's working as it should. Mixxx will broadcast whatever signal it gets from the Record/Broadcast input. Play music on the CDMP7000's decks, not Mixxx.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby electromuis » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:43 am

Be. wrote:It's working as it should. Mixxx will broadcast whatever signal it gets from the Record/Broadcast input. Play music on the CDMP7000's decks, not Mixxx.

Thanks for your response!

Could you tell some more about the setup you used, maybe what streaming server, are you maybe running on linux? Since I am aware the audio should come from the table, not from mixxx itself. Like I mentioned, when I record to a file it DOES work as expected.

Looks like i'm experiancing the same bug as in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11888
electromuis

Postby Be. » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:16 pm

electromuis wrote:Could you tell some more about the setup you used, maybe what streaming server, are you maybe running on linux?

I don't use broadcasting.

electromuis wrote:Looks like i'm experiancing the same bug as in https://www.mixxx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11888

There is no bug discussed in that thread so I don't know what you're referring to.

If all you're doing is broadcasting from an external input, there's no need to use Mixxx. You may as well use a simpler program like BUTT. The Record/Broadcast input in Mixxx is useful when you are playing music in Mixxx and sending it to an external mixer, but if you're playing the music with external hardware too, there's no point using Mixxx.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby psi36 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:47 pm

I have the same issue: I am using an Allen & Heath Xone:DB2 mixer, with builtin 44 sound card with latest version of Mixxx on Windows 8.1.
I am sending the 4 decks from Mixxx to the four channels on the Xone:DB2 and am using the USB routing on the mixer to send the record output back on channel 1 of the builtin soundcard.

When I use this setup, I am able to play music, use the effects on the mixer and record the mix as MP3 with Mixxx. But when I broadcast it just comes trough as silence. So for some reason, the recording and broadcasting isn't the same signal.

As I can hear the recorded mix I know the input is coming into Mixxx correctly. The bug is that it isn't being sent to Icecast. I can broadcast without a problem when using internal mixing in Mixxx, but I want to use my mixer since it has effects and all the other cool stuff the mixer has.

This sounds like the same issue the original poster is describing.
psi36

Postby JosepMa » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:24 am

I did some tests, and indeed, I can confirm that there is a bug.

Broadcasting from the "broadcasting/recording" input does not work. Recording works, but broadcast buffer is not being filled..
In fact, if one starts with that option empty (so it broadcasts the master), start broadcasting and change it to the line input, what is being broadcasted is the "noise" that remains in the buffer which is no longer being filled with new data. I tried changing clock, enabling or disabling master mix and having master out or not.

Recording does work from that option. Recording and broadcasting at the same time still does not send audio to broadcast.
JosepMa

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ