New 2019 MacBook Air - no audio coming out of headphone jack

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

New 2019 MacBook Air - no audio coming out of headphone jack

Postby trabera » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:00 am

When I plug into the 1/8" jack, the sound should change output from internal speakers to the headphone jack. This is how MIXXX operates on my 2015 MacBook Pro.

I just got a 2019 MacBook Air and when I plug my external speakers into the headphone jack, I get nothing. However when I do the same thing with Itunes, the sound redirects output from the internal speakers to the jack.

This is really confusing. Anyone have any ideas?
trabera

Re: New 2019 MacBook Air - no audio coming out of headphone

Postby trabera » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:33 pm

Actually I was able to solve this but it shouldn't be this difficult.

Mixx Preferences - Sound Hardware:

Make sure external output is plugged into the headphone jack
Make sure output master is "headphones"
Hit "query devices"
Hit "ok"

Do I need to do this every time I connect my external output?

This is most likely due to the change in MacBook audio hardware with the more recent MacBook releases. The internal speakers and headphone jack have been separated in hardware for the configuration of both outputs separately. BUT, even though this is so, if I'm playing music from iTunes through my MacBook speakers and then plug in headphones, the music automatically gets rerouted to them. Mixxx, however, is a unique beast as none of this happens.
trabera

Re: New 2019 MacBook Air - no audio coming out of headphone

Postby JosepMa » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Depending on the audio drivers and operating system, the connection of the headphones can be transparent, or not so much.

I don't have experience with Mac, but I've seen what you describes as two soundcards in Windows. Some hardware and/or drivers are able to represent the headphone as an independent device than the speakers/line out and the drivers allow to automatically switch, or to work as two independent soundcards.

On applications that use the "default soundcard" of the OS, they simply keep playing because the OS ( when the drivers informs about the connection), switches the active soundcard.

Mixxx is intended to work with dedicated hardware, but I believe you might also have a "primary soundcard" or "default soundcard" entry when selecting a soundcard. If you do, and use it, then Mixxx should behave like your other Mac applications.
JosepMa

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ