Converting Excel to Mixxx crate?

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Converting Excel to Mixxx crate?

Postby mshereikis » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:19 am

Hey there. I have a puzzle I'm wondering if someone can help me solve. I've been using an Excel spreadsheet to track automated playlists for an internet radio station. The spreadsheet contains columns for just the song title, artist and assigned playlists. There are 3,000+ songs and a dozen playlists.

So I'm hoping with just the song title and author columns it's possible to format a spreadsheet such that it exports as .csv (m3u, m3u8, pls) and imports cleanly to Mixxx as a crate? The library contains all the music already. Any thoughts?

I have a different set of Windows Media Player playlists (.wpl) that I would like to import to Mixxx as well. Any ideas there would be equally welcomed.

many thanks!

michael
mshereikis

Re: Converting Excel to Mixxx crate?

Postby javier » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:45 pm

You can if you can write some sql. Mixxx stores its information in a SQLite database. So, you would have to convert the data, but should be doable.

The database is here on windows: Yourusername\AppData\Local\Mixxx\mixxxdb.sqlite. You could search for it in other OSes.
javier

Postby mshereikis » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:29 am

Thanks for the reply Javier. I'll need to do some research on sql and converting the data, but will check it out.

Since writing that post, however, I have been able to covert the Excel spreadsheets to Spotify playlists. I was then able to export those playlists as .csv files.

In the Mixxx crate dialogue there is an import crate option, and one of the compatible files types is .csv. But when I import the csv files I created from Spotify playlists, only the new Crate title appears, with none of the tracks. My library definitely includes all this music.

Shouldn't I be able to import a .csv to make a Mixxx crate (or playlists?). If so, is there some format I need to ensure within the .csv to make it work?

many thanks for any thoughts or guidance.
mshereikis

Postby tapir » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:46 am

Add a first line with column headers and identify the Location column. This is the only column that matters.

Code: Select all
<file path 2>

ParserCsv doesn't seem to be able to detect this column.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby RafaelV » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:17 am

Have a look on Mp3Tag. This software can do a lot of things on mp3 files with Actions commands, may be with playlist.
RafaelV

Postby mshereikis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:30 pm

Many thanks for the replies.

Tapir, my current .csv files, created by exporting from a Spotify playlist, show up in Notepad like this:

"track","artist"
"Ola Havana","Abavuki"
Hugadem","Agorsor"
etc....

Can you walk me through what you mean by adding a Location column to this? I'm new to these issues, so pardon my density.

tx,
Michael
mshereikis

Postby tapir » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:12 pm

location = file path (absolute or relative to the .csv file)
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby mshereikis » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:38 am

Thanks again. I would need to enter the file path for each individual track though, correct? That'd take as much time or more than just adding tracks to playlists from my Mixxx library I think.
mshereikis

Postby tapir » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:28 am

Exact, that's how playlist files work. The artist/title information is just optional for display, but the file path is mandatory.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ