microphone hiss

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

microphone hiss

Postby dazzle07 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:43 pm

I do have sound (using PulseAudio and a bit of fiddling) but the mic has a terrible hiss. I've been looking at Ubuntu forums and it looks like noise suppression is a bit naff, and there do seem to be a lot of additional tools that are supposed to help, yet none, so far, have.

I run Ubuntu 18.04 and Mixxx 2.2

Can anyone suggest a solution? Plus what are the best settings for Sound Hardware in this case? I have two computers, an HP Desktop and an HP laptop, and both have exactly the same problem?

Thanks
dazzle07

Re: Absolutely no sound

Postby Be. » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Your audio interface is likely picking up interference from other components of your computer. This is a common problem with the cheap audio interfaces built into computer motherboards. On a laptop, there might be less noise when the charger is not plugged in, but of course the time you can keep using the laptop would be limited by the battery.

The best solution would be getting a separate audio interface. An audio interface with 4 output channels is generally recommended for DJing. The wiki and manual have more details. If all you use is one stereo output pair and one microphone, you might be able to get away with a very cheap USB audio interface, but you generally get what you pay for with audio interfaces.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Re: Absolutely no sound

Postby dazzle07 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure whether to post similar issues under one thread or create another lol, but really appreciate the response. I take on board the components thing but both computers had no hiss when they ran Windows, so I do think there are some software issues involved as well- however the suggestions you made re hardware look really useful full stop. Cheers! In the meantime, love Mixxx (we run our station on it!) and think I should probably signed up to the Forums sooner! Have a fab weekend all.
dazzle07

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ