Can't get program to output to speakers in Linux

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Can't get program to output to speakers in Linux

Postby mrhedges » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:44 pm

I have MIXXX on a laptop running mint 19.2 and Mixxx runs great and I love the program. I recently got a desktop. A prebuilt Dell with an 3rd gen Intel i5 and 16 gigs of ram and an GTX750TI. I decided to install Pop-os (which is basically ubuntu 18.04 with some tweaks) on this machine since it's slightly better for gaming. I installed Mixxx from the software center (the popshop). This would be version 2.20. The program runs but no sound comes out. I do get sound from other programs. If I open up sound settings Mixxx does not show up. Help!
mrhedges

Re: Can't get program to output to speakers in Linux

Postby JosepMa » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 pm

When you say sound settings, do you mean the audio hardware preferences page of Mixxx, or the operating system sound settings?

If you haven't done so, go to settings, preferences, audio hardware, and setup your sound device. Mixxx does not do this automatically, because usually it needs to output to specific hardware.

You should also try to change the Sound API (at top of this audio hardware settings) from ALSA to pulseaudio. Usually Mixxx installs an icon that temporarily disables pulseaudio so that it can access directly to ALSA. Else it will not be able to use the soundcard.

Finally, if you mean that you cannot open the Mixxx audio hardware preferences, then verify that it is not small or in some incorrect location. It shouldn't have problems to open it.

One more step to help on solving this is to attach your log file when you reply to thi spost. Here is the info to locate the log file: https://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/finding ... x.log_file
JosepMa

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ