Mixx 2.2 Not "seeing" Network Shared Drives

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Mixx 2.2 Not "seeing" Network Shared Drives

Postby uk_martin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Hi

A bit of a strange one this. I have 2 Linux machines. On one, my "older" one, I tested Mixx 2.0.0 on a Linux Mint 18 platform, that's connected to my Music folder on my NAS using a virtual drive created using Gigolo, and all went well. Happy Days!

On Monday, I installed Linux Mint 19.2 on another computer. Using Gigolo (as I do on my Mint 18 machine) I created a Virtual Drive to my Music folder on my NAS. All went well so far. The Drive is in "Computer", and all the music files play as normal. THEN I installed Mixx (2.0.0) from the Linux Mint Software Manager. The installation went well enough, EXCEPT that it couldn't "see" my network virtual drive. All that was in the file structure, was the local machine.

My thoughts were that maybe it was because Mixx was an older version, so I upgraded to Mixx 2.2 but with no success in solving the problem.

Does anyone know why the Music Folder on the NAS seems to be "invisible" to Mixx 2.2 on my Linux Mint 19.2 computer when it's there on my Linux Mint 18 installation of Mixx and this Linux Mint 19.2 computer can "see" the network drive quite happily?

Thanks in advance for any solutions / help / assistance.
uk_martin

Re: Mixx 2.2 Not "seeing" Network Shared Drives

Postby daschuer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:11 pm

How do you link the Nas folder to your music folder?
Via a symlink?

Is the NAS folder visible by using the computer feature from inside Mixxx? Does the Mixxx computer Feature allow to follow the symlink in the musicfolder?

Can you drop a track from Nemo to a Mixxx deck?
Please post the ~/.mixxx/mixxx.log file from this attempt.
daschuer
Mixxx Developer

Postby uk_martin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:56 pm

The attachment Screenshot from 2019-08-16 17-16-22.png is no longer available
Hi

Thanks for responding. I'll try to answer your questions in two stages, this first one from my Linux computer "that works" i.e. the Mint 18 machine, and then, because it involves screenshote, I'll reply off my Mint 19 machine later.

So firstly, apologies if I sound "green" as I'm a real Linux novice that avoids the Terminal whenever possible and I rely on software with "Windows" like GUI's to do my work for me.

For that reason, I'm not sure what symlink is. To connect this (Linux 18) machine to my NAS I use Gigolo, which does all the connecting as Windows Shares for me...
Screenshot from 2019-08-16 17-16-22.png
Screenshot from 2019-08-16 17-16-22.png (28.94 KiB) Viewed 335 times

On this machine I have several drives "mapped" from my NAS as can be seen in Gigolo's bookmarks
Screenshot from 2019-08-16 15-54-23.png
Screenshot from 2019-08-16 15-54-23.png (46.83 KiB) Viewed 335 times

The mapped network drives are also visible in "Computer"
Screenshot from 2019-08-16 15-53-21.png
Screenshot from 2019-08-16 15-53-21.png (68.39 KiB) Viewed 335 times

That's my 3-image limit for this post. I'll carry on in a follow-up post.
uk_martin

Postby uk_martin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:59 pm

They are also in the quick links in Mixx
Screenshot 1 from 2019-08-16 17-34-28.png
Screenshot 1 from 2019-08-16 17-34-28.png (75.45 KiB) Viewed 335 times

And they are also visible when selecting a Library Source for my music folder in Preferences:
Screenshot 2 from 2019-08-16 17-34-28.png
Screenshot 2 from 2019-08-16 17-34-28.png (145.75 KiB) Viewed 335 times

This "visibility from within Mixx does not happen on my Linux Mint 19 computer as I'll show in a second post. HOWEVER if I open a path akin to the path in the above image to the location in the /run/ folder, it will see the files on the NAS

So, that's as much as I can do from this machine. I'll post again from my other machine in a little while.
uk_martin

Postby JosepMa » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Why don't you mount the NAS path on a folder and use that folder instead of the virtual path?

( nowadays is/etc/fstab still used? I am not up-to-date on linux technology )
JosepMa

Postby daschuer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:10 pm

Maybe your user id has changed?
What is the terminal output of
echo $UID

This is also interesting:

cd /run/user/$UID/gvfs
ls
daschuer
Mixxx Developer

Postby uk_martin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:39 pm

Firstly, thanks for getting back to me. I know it must be frustrating to have to answer idiot's problems, so thanks for volunteering your help.

Let me admit to being a complete novice at Linux. If something worked once, I'll try it again which is what I did here. Except that it didn't work. And I know not why,

Just wondering if Mixx doesn't like my machine or doesn't like the latest version of Linux Mint or something. (I'm also struggling with sound output, but let's deal with one problem at a time)

So, I have no idea what SUID is. Is it something I type into the Terminal? Is "cd /run/user/$UID/gvfs" the command that I copy / paste into Terminal, and it produces the results?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To the question as to why didn't mount the NAS path on a folder and use that folder instead of the virtual path? - Again because I don't know enough about Linux to know how to do that. I relied on Gigolo once, and it worked, so I used Gigolo again and it works for everything else, except Mixx.

I'd be happy enough to try to moint a NAS path on a folder if someone can let me have the commands that I can literally copy and paste (OK, I can edit the machine specific bits) into Terminal and I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Martin
uk_martin

Postby JosepMa » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:37 pm

Hello again.

The somewhat simple explanation to your problem is this:

You try to use a library directory that is not directly accessible by your computer. Concretely, a folder in another computer/device of your network.
In order to access that place, the computer uses a service that communicates with the remote system and shows it as if it was local. ( On windows, one would do \\remotedevicename\remotepath . On linux, it's a bit more complicated )
To make it easier for programs to see these files as if they where phisically on the computer, these remote paths are mapped to a physical path. ( On windows one would map a new letter, like H: or whatever. On linux one would usually make a mount point).

The "UID" and the "/run/user" folder.

UID stands for "user identifier".
On Linux, every distinct user is assigned an unique identifier. Most probably, on your computer you are the only user, so you are the number 1000. This cannot change, so dauscher told you to try something to verify your user was really the number 1000.

The "/run/user" folder is a special folder on linux. If I've read it correctly, it's a private, for each user, temporary directory. I assume that the network share service uses it as a way to simulate a local route to access the network files.

What to do:

I guess that what happens is that this temporary path is not automatically setup each time, but only when you access it first from the open dialog.

My proposed solution was to map this network path at each system startup so that it is always accessible, but I don't have a "point and click" solution. Instead of "/run/user/1000/....", you would use something like "/media/networkaudio"

I found this short explanation of how to do so, but I don't know how easy it will be to you: http://timlehr.com/auto-mount-samba-cif ... -on-linux/
(Note about the "vers" parameter that is mentioned. Recent Windows versions have stopped supporting the older version 1 because there was a security vulnerability in it)
JosepMa

Postby uk_martin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:22 pm

I've had another "play" with the settings and have managed to get things working.

In the Linux version of "Explorer" I located what must be the Mount Point (is it?) a file inside /run/1000/gvfs/etc, dragged it over to the left hand pane of the Mixx Library File Browser, and Bingo! The network connection was established. Happy Days.

I also had an issue with sound output and more by luck than judgement, I've got that working too.... (I needed Outputs 3 & 4 not 1 & 2 for some reason)

So happy days, Mixx is working and I'm not going to mess with it any further ;-)

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
uk_martin

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ