How to make entire artist & song title show up in one field

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

How to make entire artist & song title show up in one field

Postby karma » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:28 pm

I list my song titles like this: Stairway to Heaven 8'03 - Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin IV 1974 Atlantic). When Mixxxx captures this info it only shows up in the title field as Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin IV 1974 Atlantic) for the song title, leaving out the dash and everything before the dash. Old versions of Mixxx captured it the way I list it and want it to appear. I just had a crash of Mixxxx and lost all this and have hundreds of songs I'm having to go through and view the properties of and paste them back in as I want them to appear. I don't use the artist field at all. I just need Mixxx to not separate things from the way I have them! I have no desire to change hundreds of songs, one at a time to try and get them to appear the way I need them to appear. Is there a solution? Also, I have no clue how the analyze function works. I click on it and you would think it would go through the songs and analyze them one at a time, but nothing happens.

Re: How to make entire artist & song title show up in one fi

Postby daschuer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Do you refer to the Mixxx library?
Mixxx reads the metadata from the file. If this is empty, it reads the artist and title from the file names like this:
Artist - Title.mp3
If this fails, you can lookup the title at musicbrainz.

By the way: Are both artist and title columns visible?
You can control it via right click on the library table header.
daschuer
Mixxx Developer

Postby karma » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:21 am

These are .wav files on my own computer, that Mixxx reads from and not mp3s. I KNOW their names. Mixxx insists on adding them as I've explained in my first post here and not as I want. I don't use the artist field. I use ONE FIELD - Song Title and I want it to contain all the information as I've outlined above when Mixxx loads it. So again, "Helter Skelter 3'48 - The Beatles (The Beatles 1968 EMI)" is how it shows as the title of the wav file and I want Mixxx to read it and display it this way in the Song Title field but it doesn't. It only displays everything after the dash in the song title field and moves the other info elsewhere and then I have to go into the file in the player, get its properties and then paste in the information that shows before the dash. For thousands of songs! Also, as I said, Mixxx didn't use to do that, it would copy over whatever you call the title of the song in that field and not try to separate it out. So Mixxx now has issues.

It's also crashing way too much and when it does it updates all the files and each time I lose all the the info I've had to manually enter. Part of the reason it does this is because the msg that tells you it is scanning your library files doesn't always appear now. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. So if you try to work with your library files while it is scanning your library for song updates this seems to cause the 'not responding' msg and mucking up the files. Mixxx also now, with the latest version no longer keeps the track you are viewing in your view when you click the key, which was great because it took you to that key and you saw all the other songs that were in that key. Now the track is gone from your view. Finally, I still don't understand how the analyze function works. With other DJ software I've used, you click it and it starts going through your files and analyzing them. With Mixxx I click it and nothing happens - or at least nothing that I can see is happening. Although you are adding some great features like key reading that the earlier versions didn't have, the program seems to be getting worse and more difficult to work with.

Postby JosepMa » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 pm

When a file does not have tags ( and wavs generally don't have tags ), Mixxx assumes that the name of the track is the name of the song.

That is what you were used to see and what you expect to have.

For some reason, Mixxx now has "translated" those names of the tracks to separated columns and you don't want it.
I don't have any information as to why now it is different, or even if it was you who, unknowingly, told Mixxx to do that.

The "Analyzing" section (which has nothing to do with track names) has several bugs that have been fixed and will be released in the next version.
JosepMa

Postby tapir » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:12 pm

The mapping of file names to artist - title is a feature that existed even before version 2.0, nothing new. We cannot remove features at will once they have been introduced and users are relying on them. Even if I personally would recommend to remove this poor man's file name parser asap.

Tag your files properly and Mixxx will pick up those tags. Many tagging apps should be able to copy the file name into the title tag in a single batch operation. This is the only recommended solution and Mixxx supports either ID3v2 or RIFF tags in WAV files.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby karma » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:17 am

Please tell me how to remove the parser for my own use then. I cannot go through thousands of .wav files and add the tags when Mixxx should just be copying all the text I already have in the song title field instead of placing some of it elsewhere in a category section I don't use. And it *is* new. None of the versions before when key identifying was introduced, did this. Adding the parser is unnecessary and just babysitting how a user enters their song information. Does Mixxx really need to be a big brother to its users? Give them an artist field and a song title field and let them fill it in and then bring it into the program exactly like they've entered it. Don't look over their shoulder and say, no, we're gonna put that in another section because it looks like it belongs there, because as you can see in my case, it's overstepping its usefulness and doesn't work for some of your users. There's no need for this change! Keep it simple! You're out thinking yourself.

Postby tapir » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:33 am

Not going to argue with you in that tone. Sorry.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby karma » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:00 am

Tone? Sorry, I'm not arguing and I apologize if this ruffled your feathers. I'm merely pointing out that parsing the title is unnecessary and asking how to fix it. Another major issue is that the latest version of Mixxx doesn't keep the song in view when you click the key column now. It disappears from view and users have to go find it in the list of songs. I'm not sure why this change was made either.

Postby daschuer » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:34 pm

Which Version of Mixxx are you using?
On which operating system?

Please verify that you use the latest version.
If the listed issues still persist, please file a new bug for each of them at: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+filebug
Please include a step by step receipt to reproduce the issue if possible.

If you are able to compile Mixxx from source, you can adjust the file name parsing behaviour yourselves by the way.

In my case the feature works just right and I think that the artist - title.ext is the most common naming convention.

We are also happy to receive a GitHub Pull request that makes the track name parsing adjustable.
daschuer
Mixxx Developer

Postby karma » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:30 am

I'm using 2.2.1 in Windows 10. Please tell me the first version that had key detection as I want to go back to it. Of course the 1.0 series let me name my songs anyway I wanted and it showed up in the song name category without parsing the title. So first I lost this feature and now I've also lost the key sorting result where it stays with the song. When you clicked on a key to sort a song it stayed with the song and took you to that key section in your list of songs. Now it disappears from view instead. The other issue again is that I simply want all the track information I've outlined above to show in the song title, please tell me how to do this in a step by step explanation as I don't understand what you mean by compile mixx from source.

Next

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ