How to deal with songs that have tempo changes

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

How to deal with songs that have tempo changes

Postby Vision » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:31 am

OK, so here's my issue:
Pretty much every single one of my songs are electronic and all have fixed tempos. However, a few of them have sections where the tempo changes, for example Uluwatu by Dropgun, which goes from a 138 BPM psy drop to a 150 BPM hardstyle drop. If the beatgrid detection assumes a fixed tempo, then the 150 BPM section is impossible to quantize accurately, because the beatgrid still thinks it's in 138 BPM. However, if I disable the "assume fixed tempo" setting and re-analyze the song, it fluctuates by around 0.5 to 2 BPM every few beats. Plus, the interlude where the drums cut out for a few measures causes the beat analyzer to get completely lost, bring the tempo down to around 120 BPM for a bit, then offset the beatgrid in the entire first drop by a third of a beat, so syncing another song to it is completely hopeless.
How do I fix this?? Is there a way to manually tell Mixxx where the tempo changes in a song whilst still assuming the tempos are fixed? I love Mixxx and would recommend it to anyone, but this limitation is quite a bit of a problem for me. I want to be able to mix in a hardstyle song with the second drop of Uluwatu (as well as a few other songs that have the same issue), but I can't do that without manually beatmatching, which is quite difficult when the soundcard I use doesn't have 2 extra channels for headphone cue usage. If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!
Vision

Re: How to deal with songs that have tempo changes

Postby paulus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:45 am

I don't think any DJ software can do what you ask. The usual way to deal with this is to chop the track up into separate tracks on the BPM change and play them in sequence.
paulus

Postby Vision » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:52 am

Oh really? I assumed it was possible in Serato and RekordBox for some reason. Maybe it would be a good feature to implement? Like a way to set keyframes for the tempo changes on the beatgrid or something? It would certainly give Mixxx an edge over other software. I'd request the feature but have no idea how.
Vision

Postby Be. » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:23 am

Unfortunately, there is no good way to handle these tracks in Mixxx currently. We have had some discussions about how to improve this, but no one is currently working on it.

FWIW Serato does have a way to mark changing tempos.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby Vision » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:55 am

Ah OK. I thought Serato would have something like that. Yeah I think it would be incredibly useful if possible. Can someone point me in the right direction to requesting it as a new feature? I know there's a way to do it but am not sure how
Vision

Postby kazakore » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:47 pm

paulus wrote:I don't think any DJ software can do what you ask. The usual way to deal with this is to chop the track up into separate tracks on the BPM change and play them in sequence.

Serato does it perfectly! You select your first beat and mark it. If the overall tempo is wrong at this point then mark another beat in the next bar or two and it will correct it. Move forwards to the last beat of the fixed tempo range and mark that as well, so it know all this section is at one tempo. Mark the first beat at the start of the new tempo and it will perform tempo chance to fit in this space. Mark another beat within the next couple of bars and it will set the remainder of the track to that new tempo.

There has been much discussion on how to improve this in Mixxx over the years but as of yet I don't think a best way has been decided upon, yet alone worked on....
kazakore

Postby paulus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:45 am

That's me told! I did look it up - took a while but found this video:

Beatgridding Using Rane Serato DJ Pt.2 - Multi-Tempo Beatgrids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LXv-YOgOus
paulus

Postby kazakore » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:34 pm

My brother uses Serato and has the same controller as me. That's the only reason I know. I found it super easy to do when playing about with it though. Just need to make sure you fully clear any existing tempo map before adding tempo markers yourself or it gets really confused...
kazakore

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ