DVS Signal Quality Poor

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

DVS Signal Quality Poor

Postby richjoh » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:36 am

First time using Mixxx, connect my 2 turntables and Echo Audio PCI soundcard using ASIO mode. The Signal Quality plot changes from green to red blinking those colors and the audio, using the software, cuts in and out as if the Echo Audio PCI Sample Rate is out of sync with the Mixxx. I turned up the Turntable Input Signal Boost

I used MixVibes DVS vinyl, which I believe is version 2.
I tried Traktor vinyl V2 and results persisted.

I increase the Mixxx Audio Buffer to 85.3, ASIO mode, and this plays audio but the entire tracks stutters to play....
There are only 7 Buffer setting from the Sound Preference drop down box... I would think that up to 250ms is necessary here

System Model z270-hd3 motherboard
i7-7700K [email protected]
16G RAM Windows 10 Pro
Echo Audio PCI

Unless this works I cannot use Mixxx for DJing.
richjoh

Re: DVS Signal Quality Poor

Postby richjoh » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:51 am

Reported this bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1851598

Too bad I can't use Mixxx at this time. Is Serato the software fully supporting turntables now, in 2019?
richjoh

Postby JosepMa » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:42 pm

You surely do not want to use vinyl with such a high latency value. 20 can feel too much (when you're used to 5), imagine 250...

Given that you use ASIO, and that you have a powerful machine, you should be able to use low latency settings, so we should solve that problem first.

You don't specify which soundcard model do you use ( the name Echo Audio PCI, is a soundcard from the 90s), but you are interested in a soundcard that has 4 channels in and 4 channels out (at least). (channels as in individual signal, a 5.1 soundcard has 6 channels)

Indeed, first check which sample rate you have configured in ASIO and in Mixxx, since it should be the same. If the soundcard control panel doesn't specify a sample rate, then it is expected that it uses the one that the application wants, except if it doesn't support it.

Once you get to play Mixxx without the turntables, then we could start checking what happens to your vinyl setup.
Be aware of these things :
Ideally you would want to use a vinyl preamp (except if the vinyil player happens to have a switch to output in line mode) since it not only amplifies but also changes the frequencies.
The signal boost option is just something that can help, but it is not a complete vinyl preamp by itself.

The kind of vinyl to select in Mixxx depend on the vinyl that you have. Mixxx doesn't not support all kinds of vinyls so you shouldn't expect it to work with all models.

It is important that you have a stereo signal, and that you have wired left and right correctly. Mixxx will not work with a mono signal.

The manual contains some instructions when the signal is not correct https://mixxx.org/manual/2.2/en/chapter ... leshooting
JosepMa

Postby richjoh » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:09 am

You surely do not want to use vinyl with such a high latency value. 20 can feel too much (when you're used to 5), imagine 250...

What your saying makes no sense. Did you consider that the cpu processor converts the audio in "chunks" meaning how much sample time the cpu buffers. Surely my setup is not the problem, I successfully use Serato, MixVibes, Traktor and others using DVS and never any problems. How much time your cpu buffers can be a trade off with too short or too long, resulting in audio being "dropped" this appears to be a software issue with Mixxx.

The soundcard is Echo Audio PCI, the only PCI bus soundcard from them is called the Layla3G. PCI has the lowest latency compared to usb or firewire... It has 8 INs and 8OUTs channels. Of course i checked that the sample rates match, in fact I tried the 3 settings Mixxx provides the problem persisted.

I DON'T want to use Mixxx or ANY DJ SW if turntables are not supported. If turntables don't work its useless to me. I tried vinyl from MixVibes V2 and Tracktor V2, and problem persist. My entire setup is a STEREO setup, no problems here using Serato or Traktor or MixVibes etc etc.

Are you saying that Mixxx does not do the phono RIAA equalization curve to use at line level? Because all my other DJ software I can plug in the turntables directly into the soundcard inputs and route the out to my analog mixer and work just fine...

Then again as I think about the plots in Mixxx the Calibration of the turntables Decks should take care of levels being too low or too high etc. , but the problem still persist.
richjoh

Postby JosepMa » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:42 pm

Yes, I said that Mixxx does not restore the RIAA equalization that the vinyl has.

Also, what I said makes perfect sense in regards to latency. If I want to scratch, or speedup/slowdown the vinyl by touching the vinyl, I don't want to wait for wait for the time needed to say "hello" for the sound change.
Mixxx is perfectly capable of using low latency. I have a i7 6700 3.4Ghz and use Mixxx at 5ms ( and I could use it at 1ms, but the internals don't work well at such low latency so jogging and similar become less predictable).
That's why I said that you first need to find out why Mixxx doesn't perform correctly for you on the latency side before attemting anything on the vinyl side.
JosepMa

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ