Problems with DVS (with unusual setup)

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Problems with DVS (with unusual setup)

Postby ekekpa » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Hello guys, my equipment is this;
Audio Interface: Steinberg UR242 (so 1 stereo output 1 stereo input)
Turntable: Epsilon DJT-1300 USB mk2
(HW) Mixer: Mixars Cut
Vinyl: Serato scratch vinyl 2.5

What i need to do is use ONE (and only) turntable to scratch with my own samples and record the scratches.
THE PROBLEM ----> The Doughnut on Mixxx is perfect and its green! but the line keeps moving! and when i scratch on it the pitch changes and the song skips onto a random point (forward or backword)
(Edit: I have seen that now it works better but not perfect - but the line on the green ring does not stop)

Iv'e tried many softwares but Mixxx seems to be the perfect one, because it solves the problems with compatibility! But apperently i still have some problems and i can't understand why

My setup is the following:
Turntable>Audio interface input
MIXXX>Audio interface output> Mixer
I use the software preamp and the Audiointerface goes into Line-mixer.

I USE WINDOWS 10, MIXXX VERSION 2.2.0

and how do i remove the sound of the vinyl in background?
ekekpa

Re: Problems with DVS (with unusual setup)

Postby JosepMa » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 pm

First, let's check the setup.

Here there is a graphic of a setup similar to what you want (Similiar, because you only have one turntable)

https://mixxx.org/manual/latest/en/chap ... yl-control

Now, could you explain these things?
First, If I understand it correctly, this turntable appears on the computer as a soundcard when you connect is with the USB cable. Right?
You mention an external mixer, but you have a single input and a single output. I don't quite understand what does it do in this setup.

If you use the USB, then you will have two different soundcards in Mixxx. This will work with some of the Sound APIs, but it might not be perfect. Still, should be ok in your setup.

Next, when using Vinyl for controlling, it is very important to check the audio latency. The default is 20ms and that is too much for a good experience...
Try 10 or even 5ms. If you can get that to work without audio glitches, I expect that it will be fine.

Finally, Mixxx can react to the Vinyl sound in different ways. It's the Vinyl Control mode. https://mixxx.org/manual/latest/en/chap ... ntrol-mode

One of the three options would ignore the vinyl if the signal ends, (which is what happens if you scratch and stop the vinyl movement).
I don't know, but it could be what you are experiencing.
JosepMa

Postby JosepMa » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Oh... and what you do mean with "the sound of the vinyl".. if you use it on Mixxx as vinyl control (and you seem to do, if you have the green doughnut), Mixxx is not reinserting that signal, so either on Windows the sound is resent from audio input to audio output, or you have connected it to the mixer and then, obiously, it will not work as intended.
JosepMa

Postby ekekpa » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:28 pm

JosepMa wrote:First, let's check the setup.

Here there is a graphic of a setup similar to what you want (Similiar, because you only have one turntable)

https://mixxx.org/manual/latest/en/chap ... yl-control

Now, could you explain these things?
First, If I understand it correctly, this turntable appears on the computer as a soundcard when you connect is with the USB cable. Right?
You mention an external mixer, but you have a single input and a single output. I don't quite understand what does it do in this setup.

If you use the USB, then you will have two different soundcards in Mixxx. This will work with some of the Sound APIs, but it might not be perfect. Still, should be ok in your setup.

Next, when using Vinyl for controlling, it is very important to check the audio latency. The default is 20ms and that is too much for a good experience...
Try 10 or even 5ms. If you can get that to work without audio glitches, I expect that it will be fine.

Finally, Mixxx can react to the Vinyl sound in different ways. It's the Vinyl Control mode. https://mixxx.org/manual/latest/en/chap ... ntrol-mode

One of the three options would ignore the vinyl if the signal ends, (which is what happens if you scratch and stop the vinyl movement).
I don't know, but it could be what you are experiencing.

OK so, yes my turntable will be read as souncard. 2 i only have 1 input and 1 output on my Audio interface! even on my mixer... that was just to point it out.
and i connected it right but i get the sound out of my mixer as well...
ekekpa

Postby ekekpa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 pm

apperently mixxx won't recognize my usb turntable as a device i gues...
Attachments
Immagi1ne.png
Immagi1ne.png (167.21 KiB) Viewed 171 times
ekekpa

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ