Postby philiplb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi,

my current setup looks like this:
- macOS 10.12.4
- A good old Maya 44 USB
- Technics 1210 MKII with Ortofon DJ S
- Serato Timecode Vinyls
- Mixxx 2.0

So I don't use a preamp in this setup and need the turntable input boost. As long as I have the preferences window open, all works well as soon as I give some amplification. As soon as I close the settings window, it seems like the boost is back to 0 dB. I reopen the settings, click on the boost slider (even without moving it) and it works again until I close the window again.

I just tried a nightly version, too. Same behaviour.

Have I stumbled in an unreported bug or do I missuse something here? Any help would be very appreciated.
philiplb

Re: Turntable Input Boost not preserved

Postby philiplb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Meanwhile, I made it work by deleting the mixxx.cfg and reconfiguring everything (and never open the settings again! ;)). But stumbled upon the pass through feature which passes through the raw phono signal of course. That's a deal breaker and I ordered some phono preamps which should solve everything.
Nonetheless, the mentioned boost behaviour seems odd. :)
philiplb

Postby Be. » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:15 am

Do you have the old Maya 44 USB or the newer Maya 44 USB+? I'm not sure about the old one, but the new one has an adjustable input gain. There isn't a knob for it on the device but it can be controlled from the computer. Try using Maya's control panel program for the device. However, the inputs don't have a phono preamp so if you used passthrough it would sound odd without going through the RIAA equalization in a phono preamp.

The issue you encountered with the software amplification in the Mixxx Preferences is strange.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!
Be.

Postby philiplb » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:01 am

The old Maya, the gain options are disabled in the controll panel. :)
I'm going with two of these now: www.ebay.de/itm/Analogis-Easy-Phono-Ste ... 1260385997
They have no bad reputation and should sound considerably good for their price. Will see. :)
The persistence of the boost value: I'll give it a try to reproduce and post again then.
philiplb

Postby philiplb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 am

FYI: The phono preamps arrived yesterday and it works like a charm. :)
philiplb

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ