Using Mixxx as preparation software, exporting to USB

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Re: Using Mixxx as preparation software, exporting to USB

Postby naught101 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:07 am

Nice work mr_smidge. Sounds totally useful! Could be a real drawcard, too, especially if you can get it working with Rekordbox, since CDJs still industry standard, it'd be great to be able to rock up with a Mixxx-prepared USB stick and just go.
naught101

Postby mr_smidge » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:13 pm

naught101 wrote:Nice work mr_smidge. Sounds totally useful! Could be a real drawcard, too, especially if you can get it working with Rekordbox, since CDJs still industry standard, it'd be great to be able to rock up with a Mixxx-prepared USB stick and just go.

Thanks, naught101. Doing this kind of thing is hugely spare time-dependent, but never say never ;).

Latest update: I'm currently writing a C++ library to automate the reading/writing of the EP database, which perhaps Mixxx could make use of.
mr_smidge

Postby mr_smidge » Sun May 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Update to a slightly old thread..

I've released an early version of a C++ library that can read/write the Engine Library format used by the SC5000, and put it on github: https://github.com/xsco/libengineprime

I've mailed the mixxx-devel group (as soon as a moderator approves my email ;) ) to take the discussion forward with the devs, in case Mixxx can make use of it, or in case anyone wants to help with development of the library. Hope it's useful!
mr_smidge

Postby JosepMa » Sun May 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello.

If you want to use a more direct communication with the developers, you should use the zulipchat : https://mixxx.zulipchat.com , and there, write to the #development channel.

So far, the mailing list is up, but is not seeing much movement recently.
JosepMa

Postby mr_smidge » Mon May 14, 2018 9:10 pm

JosepMa wrote:Hello.

If you want to use a more direct communication with the developers, you should use the zulipchat : https://mixxx.zulipchat.com , and there, write to the #development channel.

So far, the mailing list is up, but is not seeing much movement recently.

Thanks, JosepMa - have now done just that.
mr_smidge

Postby Vision » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:18 am

I don't have any Denon hardware currently, but I am saving up for the Denon DJ Prime 4 and have started placing my hotcues and loops for my library (at this stage about 240 tracks). I have been using Mixxx ever since I started to DJ and it sucks that I have to manually dial in beatgrid downbeats and hotcues into Engine Prime all over again, so this forum is getting me excited!

Unfortunately, I do not run a Linux machine and am a complete noob when it comes to anything related to GitHub or building applications from source code :P

Hopefully this process will be made easier when the library code you made is brought out of its alpha stage. But until then, is there a decent tutorial video that explains how to build programs from source code easily on a Windows 10 machine without attempting to teach me everything about creating my own Git branch?
Vision

Postby mr_smidge » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 am

Vision wrote:I have been using Mixxx ever since I started to DJ and it sucks that I have to manually dial in beatgrid downbeats and hotcues into Engine Prime all over again, so this forum is getting me excited!

I feel your pain :x.

I appreciate that this isn't an answer to your question, but in case it interests you, I'm working on integrating the above work into Mixxx over the next few weeks, so maybe soon the export-to-Prime functionality will come as standard.

I have built the libdjinterop library on its own in both Linux and Windows so far, but I haven't yet got Mixxx integration working on Windows. So even if you could get a build working on Windows 10, there wouldn't be any guarantee that it would work just yet. When I have a build working on my side, let me know if you'd be willing help test it!
mr_smidge

Postby djdemand » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Any updates on this? I'm very interested in this, as I've already started a huge project similar to this.

Mr_smidge or others with programming knowledge, send me a PM for further details.
djdemand

Postby djdemand » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 pm

mr_smidge wrote:
Vision wrote:I have been using Mixxx ever since I started to DJ and it sucks that I have to manually dial in beatgrid downbeats and hotcues into Engine Prime all over again, so this forum is getting me excited!

I feel your pain :x.

I appreciate that this isn't an answer to your question, but in case it interests you, I'm working on integrating the above work into Mixxx over the next few weeks, so maybe soon the export-to-Prime functionality will come as standard.

I have built the libdjinterop library on its own in both Linux and Windows so far, but I haven't yet got Mixxx integration working on Windows. So even if you could get a build working on Windows 10, there wouldn't be any guarantee that it would work just yet. When I have a build working on my side, let me know if you'd be willing help test it!

I have the Denon Prime 4 and would be interested in testing this as well.
djdemand

Postby mr_smidge » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi djdemand,

djdemand wrote:Any updates on this? I'm very interested in this, as I've already started a huge project similar to this.

Mr_smidge or others with programming knowledge, send me a PM for further details.

This project is still moving, albeit slowly as I struggle to find enough spare time to work on it. However, your messages have spurred me on and I did some work today. I have forked Mixxx and created a branch, which is available here: https://github.com/xsco/mixxx/tree/lib_ ... bdjinterop

The current status is:
* Export to the Engine Library format works for tracks and crates.
* Beat grids, cues, and waveforms are exported.
* I've tested it on my SC5000 Primes, and even successfully played a couple of gigs using a library exported from Mixxx.
* Made from two components: libdjinterop (the interoperability library) and Mixxx, which now uses libdjinterop.

Missing features:
* Only tested on Linux so far. I can run a Windows VM, but I need someone with a Mac to help me out :).
* Needs proper packaging before I feel happy submitting a PR to the Mixxx team.
* Album art isn't supported yet (I haven't yet worked out the hash format in the EL DB).
* Playlists aren't yet supported (format is known, just need to implement it).
* Some smaller missing features, e.g. average loudness on tracks not set, waveform summary.

I'll reply to your PM as well!

Thanks,
mr_smidge

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion