Denon MCX8000 (partly) working on Linux!

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Denon MCX8000 (partly) working on Linux!

Postby caelia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:00 pm

Hey, fellow Mixxxers--

So, I got a fancy new toy - a Denon MCX8000 controller - thinking I could get it to work with Mixxx on Linux (yes, I like to live dangerously ;-) ). Fortunately, it seems I was right - with a big caveat.

There is, of course, the question of a MIDI mapping. I don't have that done yet, but it is in progress. It's very rudimentary at this point - basically, the mapping consists of what I was able to do with the MIDI learning wizard - i.e., I haven't written any Javascript yet. But I'm definitely going to finish this in the near future (hopefully in time for my next gig, which is next Wednesday); I didn't spend $1000 to have a half-working controller. When I finish the mapping, I will of course post it in the mapping section of the forum. Meanwhile, if anyone is interested, visit https://github.com/caelia/mixxx-denon-mcx8000.

Now, I said there was a big caveat. I think this is a Linux-specific problem, so if you use Mixxx on Windows or MacOS, you should be fine once the mapping is done. Anyway, the problem is that initially I was unable to get Mixxx to use the MCX8000 sound card for output. I have gotten it working, but I needed to make a minor modification to the kernel. So, not for the faint of heart. I'm going to get in touch with Denon about this, because it appears that the problem results from incorrect behavior on the part of their sound card. But I don't imagine they would put much effort into fixing an issue that only affects Linux users. Anyway, for details about the sound problem and the kernel modification, please see this discussion on the ALSA users' mailing list: https://sourceforge.net/p/alsa/mailman/alsa-user/thread/CAHhBTheZcQAt3HGF3XvaFyxD-9-fRc%2Bzmu1JD7E2KZSRs0EOYQ%40mail.gmail.com/#msg35680694.

Okay, I'm going to go write some Javascript. Happy Friday!
caelia

Re: Denon MCX8000 (partly) working on Linux!

Postby Be. » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:17 am

Great! Please read the Contributing Mappings guidelines. Instead of working from a fresh git repository, please fork mixxxdj/mixxx on GitHub and add your mapping files to the res/controllers folder to make it easy to merge into the main Mixxx repository. Keep us updated how it goes with the kernel/firmware issue.

Unfortunately Mixxx does not yet have any way to send waveform images or text to controller screens. That will take a lot of work to implement and probably won't be happening very soon.

We're getting close to releasing Mixxx 2.1 beta which will bring substantial improvements to the scripting system for MIDI devices and overhaul the effects UI, so I recommend compiling the master git branch and working with the new Components library.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby caelia » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:46 am

Hi, Be. Thanks for the feedback!

Be. wrote:Great! Please read the Contributing Mappings guidelines. Instead of working from a fresh git repository, please fork mixxxdj/mixxx on GitHub and add your mapping files to the res/controllers folder to make it easy to merge into the main Mixxx repository.

Done. BTW, I like your coding conventions ... most of them, anyway.

Why spaces in the filenames for the XML files, though? That seems a bit perverse to me.

Be. wrote:Keep us updated how it goes with the kernel/firmware issue.

I certainly will.

Be. wrote:Unfortunately Mixxx does not yet have any way to send waveform images or text to controller screens. That will take a lot of work to implement and probably won't be happening very soon.

Unless I make it happen ;-) I actually am learning C++, partly in order to contribute to Mixxx. I'm not sure this would be my top priority though. I have some ideas about improving library management, which is more up my alley anyway ...

Be. wrote:We're getting close to releasing Mixxx 2.1 beta which will bring substantial improvements to the scripting system for MIDI devices and overhaul the effects UI, so I recommend compiling the master git branch and working with the new Components library.

Good to know. I may have to develop two versions of the mapping, then - because I want to be able to use this controller, like, yesterday - but I don't want to rely on a not-quite-beta version of Mixxx for gigs. Maybe I'll just keep the old-style mapping on my own private branch and not submit any pull requests for it. Anyway, I have considerable programming experience, so this will be a challenge, not a hardship.
caelia

Postby Be. » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:09 am

caelia wrote:Why spaces in the filenames for the XML files, though? That seems a bit perverse to me.

I agree. It think that's just because that's how it has been, it works, and it hasn't bothered anyone enough to do a batch rename of all the filenames for mappings included in Mixxx. That's not to say it can't change.

caelia wrote:
Be. wrote:Unfortunately Mixxx does not yet have any way to send waveform images or text to controller screens. That will take a lot of work to implement and probably won't be happening very soon.

Unless I make it happen ;-) I actually am learning C++, partly in order to contribute to Mixxx. I'm not sure this would be my top priority though. I have some ideas about improving library management, which is more up my alley anyway ...

That would be awesome if you take up that task. If you do decide to take up a major change like that, write a draft for the design on the wiki (on a new page) and write to the mailing list for feedback before you start implementing it. We'd like to eventually move the GUI away from the home baked XML skin system using the old QWidgets framework to the new QML framework. I think using QML for rendering an off-screen window to send to controller screens would be a good way to lay the groundwork for that. After the 2.1 release, we will finally be making the switch from Qt4 to Qt5.

As for the library, there is a major redesign of the GUI in progress that will hopefully be ready for Mixxx 2.2.

The Developer Guide will help you get started working with the code. I strongly recommend using a C++ IDE to work on Mixxx. C++ is an obnoxiously complex language and an IDE can be really helpful for smoothing over the gaps in your knowledge as you learn it. We have guides for setting up KDevelop and Eclipse, or you can use whatever IDE you're comfortable using.

caelia wrote:
Be. wrote:We're getting close to releasing Mixxx 2.1 beta which will bring substantial improvements to the scripting system for MIDI devices and overhaul the effects UI, so I recommend compiling the master git branch and working with the new Components library.

Good to know. I may have to develop two versions of the mapping, then - because I want to be able to use this controller, like, yesterday - but I don't want to rely on a not-quite-beta version of Mixxx for gigs. Maybe I'll just keep the old-style mapping on my own private branch and not submit any pull requests for it. Anyway, I have considerable programming experience, so this will be a challenge, not a hardship.

FWIW, I've played a few gigs from the git master branch and it has gone well, but YMMV.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby kokitazo123 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Still no mapping for the mcx 8000?

Alguien sabe si hay algun archivo configuración para el MCX 8000 y el uso del mxxx
kokitazo123

Postby OsZ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:24 am

Hi - I am working on a MC7000 mapping which seems to be very similar to the MC8000... see here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13126

I am wondering if some points were solved for the MC8000 and if so what was the solution?

As the git repository is no longer available - can somebody share the MC8000 .xml and .js file here for reference?

Thanks a lot.
OsZ
OsZ

Return to General Discussion