1.12.0 Alpha Win (XP,Vista,7,8) / Mac / Linux Testers Needed

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Re: Mixxx 1.12.0 Alpha Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) Testers Nee

Postby Spindoctor » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:53 am

I suppose it's time for me to chime in with a comment or two . . .

Some months ago I had commented on a couple of problems with 1.11. There were crashing issues, and I had also commented that with 1.11 beta (and older versions), I could drag in a file from another folder, not in the library, and play it -- things like certain sound FX, and ads about upcoming shows. With later versions MIXXX automatically puts these files into the main library whether you want it there or not. If the ad is played from a flash drive, does it anyway -- and I suppose the next time you click on it you must have that flash drive in place. I was informed that this is not a bug but intentional.

As for the crashing, I was given an alpha version of 1.12. Probably much older than what is offered now, but still I have it in three computers -- two running Windows 7, one with 8.

I can tell you this: no more crashes. Actually I think it manifested itself in permanent check marks, even after the program is closed and reopened. Whatever, that part is working fine. Something else -- if you play a track in a sample deck, it does not appear in the counter. It puts it in the library but it doesn't count it. Okayyy . . .

What I've WANTED to do is USE 1.12 alpha at a gig, to try it out full bore and see how it runs. After all this time I have yet to do this. Part of the reason is business is heavy, but there's another part worth bringing up: because it puts every file in the library, I really need to meta-tag each and every jingle and sound effect I have. Then put them in genres, then put them in crates, so I can access them from within MIXXX instead of another folder. IF I DON'T TAG THEM, these files appear as artist: blank. title: blank. NOTHING to identify the file! The older 1.11 beta (still the workhorse at gigs) at least leaves the filename as the title. So before I can use ANY file, I have to meta-tag it and categorize it. I've been working on it; over the summer I've done about 20 jingles and sound clips. I have another 600 to go.

I guess doing it this way will be nice, if I live long enough to see it.

I'd like to see: (1) The ability to play certain files, especially dated commercials, without placing them permanently in the library. (2) The ability to count tracks played from the sample decks. (3) Filenames posted as titles, if the particular file doesn't have meta information.

I'll put it another way. I'm playing music at a show. A show sponsor has given me three ads to play. One of them is about a big sale this coming Saturday. Since MIXXX puts these in the library, I look for the proper file to load it in a sample deck. But all I see are three "blank" files at the top of the library! Which one is the CORRECT ad? Since MIXXX has permanently kept ALL the ads in the library, we actually have a page full of blanks, containing the ads from last week, the week before, etc. Maybe I can tell by the play counter which ads have been played, but from the sample decks they don't count. I give up. I stop MIXXX entirely and play the ad from Windows Media Player!

If changes related to this have been made recently, I'll try and D/L a newer version and try again. But be patient as I've been REALLY busy of late . . .
Last edited by Spindoctor on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spindoctor

Postby rryan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:05 am

Spindoctor wrote:I suppose it's time for me to chime in with a comment or two . . .

Some months ago I had commented on a couple of problems with 1.11. There were crashing issues, and I had also commented that with 1.11 beta (and older versions), I could drag in a file from another folder, not in the library, and play it -- things like certain sound FX, and ads about upcoming shows. With later versions MIXXX automatically puts these files into the main library whether you want it there or not. If the ad is played from a flash drive, does it anyway -- and I suppose the next time you click on it you must have that flash drive in place. I was informed that this is not a bug but intentional.

As for the crashing, I was given an alpha version of 1.12. Probably much older than what is offered now, but still I have it in three computers -- two running Windows 7, one with 8.

I can tell you this: no more crashes. Actually I think it manifested itself in permanent check marks, even after the program is closed and reopened. Whatever, that part is working fine. Something else -- if you play a track in a sample deck, it does not appear in the counter. It puts it in the library but it doesn't count it. Okayyy . . .

What I've WANTED to do is USE 1.12 alpha at a gig, to try it out full bore and see how it runs. After all this time I have yet to do this. Part of the reason is business is heavy, but there's another part worth bringing up: because it puts every file in the library, I really need to meta-tag each and every jingle and sound effect I have. Then put them in genres, then put them in crates, so I can access them from within MIXXX instead of another folder. IF I DON'T TAG THEM, these files appear as artist: blank. title: blank. NOTHING to identify the file! The older 1.11 beta (still the workhorse at gigs) at least leaves the filename as the title. So before I can use ANY file, I have to meta-tag it and categorize it. I've been working on it; over the summer I've done about 20 jingles and sound clips. I have another 600 to go.

I guess doing it this way will be nice, if I live long enough to see it.

I'd like to see: (1) The ability to play certain files, especially dated commercials, without placing them permanently in the library. (2) The ability to count tracks played from the sample decks. (3) Filenames posted as titles, if the particular file doesn't have meta information.

If changes related to this have been made recently, I'll try and D/L a newer version and try again. But be patient as I've been REALLY busy of late . . .

Hey spindoctor,

The build you tried of 1.12.0 alpha was before we totally rebuilt the build server environment so it's possible the crashes are back! We would really appreciate test results from you on the new builds.

BTW permanent checkmarks are a sign of Mixxx crashing while shutting down (one of the last things it does while shutting down the library is clear the checkmarks -- if Mixxx crashes mid-set we don't clear them so you still know what tracks you were playing before the crash).

(3) should be improved -- I think we fixed the bug where title/artist are blank if no metadata is available -- we just show the filename now in that case.
(1) and (2) are the same I believe.

Thanks!
RJ
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.
Please report any bugs you find to our Bug Tracker.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby Spindoctor » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:09 am

Thanks for the quick response! I was still typing an edit . . .

Anyway, at some point in time i'll d/l the latest and try again.

another edit: This may be easier to try, if I don't have to meta-tag every file before trying it. I can load, run it, then tag them later.
Spindoctor

Postby dg3nec » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Build 4689:
AutoDJ: Fader fades in wrong direction. You can test it when you put the fader in middle before the song ends and autodj should begin his work. :o

Another Problem:
Skins are not included. I have download 4675, its bigger, there are the skins inside. So the mixxx didnt start, stops wiht message Skin not found in folder ...\Deere

Jupp, so long
dg3nec

Postby dg3nec » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Build 4690 AutoDJ tested, one time Chrash (look attachement)

one more test: I am total confused. No way to explain or understood what autodj does. AutoDJ absolutly not usable.
Attachments
mixxx_crash_dg3nec_20140928_2148.txt
(14.99 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
dg3nec

Postby zezic » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:32 pm

dg3nec wrote:Build 4689:
AutoDJ: Fader fades in wrong direction. You can test it when you put the fader in middle before the song ends and autodj should begin his work. :o

I can confirm this :D
zezic

Postby rryan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:01 pm

dg3nec wrote:Build 4690 AutoDJ tested, one time Chrash (look attachement)

one more test: I am total confused. No way to explain or understood what autodj does. AutoDJ absolutly not usable.

Hey dg3nec,

Could you try running Mixxx with the Microsoft Debug Diagnostic tool?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40336

Thanks!
RJ
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby rryan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:03 pm

dg3nec wrote:Build 4689:

Another Problem:
Skins are not included. I have download 4675, its bigger, there are the skins inside. So the mixxx didnt start, stops wiht message Skin not found in folder ...\Deere

Jupp, so long

Hm, that isn't right. We're slowly deleting all the resolution-dependent skins in favor of res-independent ones but it looks like the migration is not very smooth.

Which skins do you see in C:\Program Files\Mixxx\skins ?
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby dg3nec » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:09 pm

@Ryan:
Crash infos:
Sorry, this crash comes up one time. The send attachement was the only one i have for the team. When i am "play" with the alpha release, i dont run everytime different debug tools.

The Skins-Folder i have are:
Deere1280x1024-SXGA
Deere1280x800-WXGA
Deere1366x768-WXGA
Deere1440x900-WXGA+
Deere1920x1080-FullHD
Deere1920x1200-WUXGA
DeereSamplegrid1280x800-WXGA
LateNight-Stacked
LateNight1280x1024-SXGA
LateNight1280x800-WXGA
LateNight1366x768-WXGA
LateNightBlues1280x1024-SXGA
LateNightBlues1280x800-WXGA
LateNightBlues1366x768-WXGA
Outline1024x600-Netbook
Outline1024x768-XGA
Outline800x480-WVGA
Phoney1600x1200-UXGA
Phoney1680x1050-WSXGA
PhoneyDark1600x1200-UXGA
PhoneyDark1680x1050-WSXGA
Shade
ShadeDark1024x600-Netbook
ShadeDark1024x768-XGA

Because MIXXX not startet, i have made an extra DIR named "deere" and made a copy off all deere-folder inside. What not helped.
While installation of actual alphas, ther are a list of things the setup will install. In some last one, no skins are listed what install will do!
I have now downloaded the 4691 Build, installed, checked the details of installation. NO skins installed.
dg3nec

Postby rryan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:42 am

dg3nec wrote:@Ryan:
Crash infos:
Sorry, this crash comes up one time. The send attachement was the only one i have for the team. When i am "play" with the alpha release, i dont run everytime different debug tools.

The Skins-Folder i have are:
Deere1280x1024-SXGA
Deere1280x800-WXGA
Deere1366x768-WXGA
Deere1440x900-WXGA+
Deere1920x1080-FullHD
Deere1920x1200-WUXGA
DeereSamplegrid1280x800-WXGA
LateNight-Stacked
LateNight1280x1024-SXGA
LateNight1280x800-WXGA
LateNight1366x768-WXGA
LateNightBlues1280x1024-SXGA
LateNightBlues1280x800-WXGA
LateNightBlues1366x768-WXGA
Outline1024x600-Netbook
Outline1024x768-XGA
Outline800x480-WVGA
Phoney1600x1200-UXGA
Phoney1680x1050-WSXGA
PhoneyDark1600x1200-UXGA
PhoneyDark1680x1050-WSXGA
Shade
ShadeDark1024x600-Netbook
ShadeDark1024x768-XGA

Because MIXXX not startet, i have made an extra DIR named "deere" and made a copy off all deere-folder inside. What not helped.
While installation of actual alphas, ther are a list of things the setup will install. In some last one, no skins are listed what install will do!
I have now downloaded the 4691 Build, installed, checked the details of installation. NO skins installed.

Oops -- thanks a lot. I found the problem and git4693 and onward should be fixed.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion