1.12.0 Alpha Win (XP,Vista,7,8) / Mac / Linux Testers Needed

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Re: Mixxx 1.12.0 Alpha Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) Testers Nee

Postby shalty » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:39 am

Related to the problem reported by dg3nec about the VU-meters, i have found a way to reproduce easily (at least on my laptop, in both xp and w7).

Load a song on any deck, start playing it, and then just modify any EQ channel (any tiny amount) put the VU-meter of the deck and the global one on the reds for a second -weird because the green bar/sound volume is nowhere near- , and then they are "locked" (are not updated any more, keep the last value). So you can "lock" one vu-meter and the global one, and keep using the other... until you equalize it, that is :).

Gain or FX seems to work fine and don't trigger the bug.

May i fill a standard bug report on launchpad?

Update: Related to the EQ's, the kill buttons also triggers this bug, just using a controller directly triggers the bug -because it has to restore the controller position by script at init, don't know-), and the only part that is "locked" is the green bar, because i've seen that the reds continue to work as usual ;). As a side note, i have an script for the nanoKontrol2, that use the lights as vumeter, and it fails exactly the same as the screen.

BTW, the EQ part has been touched? It seems that they are messed up... highs are lows, meds are highs and low does nothing... :?:
shalty

Postby shalty » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:35 am

And following with the "spam", another report :mrgreen:

On the same laptop e6500 as the other tests, but this time on a win8.1 (x86) with jack and the controllers (hercules dj control using HID and nanokontrol2 using MIDI), and a previous (used and "working" (*)) installation of mixxx 1.11, it works just fine. I run the setup, installed it on another folder, and just works. It replaces the shortcut on the desktop, pointing to the new one (1.12), but you can still launch the old, and use one or the other.

The only problem i've seen is with the EQs/vumeters, as said before.

(*) I try to use it with low latency, and gives the same problems that gives me 1.11 (controllers lost randomly in the middle of a session), as in here http://mixxx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6461, but this is not a new bug and i can "up" the latency, so it doesn't matter for now :mrgreen:
shalty

Postby dg3nec » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Here are my gdb crash what ryan said he wants.

About my VU-Meter: i have nothing done on EQ, Gain or so. Only start Mixxx, load songs and play. Then crash. In this case, i cant test more ;-)
Attachments
mixxx_crash_dg3nec_20140921_1350.txt
(15.03 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
dg3nec

Postby shalty » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Another report :mrgreen:

This time on linux (ubuntu studio x64), mixxx 1.12 alpha revision 4664 (hot from the press :lol:)... here there are no problems with the vu-meters, and through i see visually how waveforms changes with each EQ knob (low included), and i'm using the laptop speakers :oops: , i still find that they don't sound right.
shalty

Postby dg3nec » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Following done because mixxx crashes:
- de-installed mixxx 12 & 11 (files saved before)
- Windows full crash blue screen
- restart
- Mixxx program folder renamed, new installation with 1.12
- Mixxx crash
- AppData Mixxx folder renamed, mixxx starts like "fresh" installation
- while scanning the new set music folder, extremely many message in debugger: "TagLib: MPEG::Header::parse() -- Invalid sample rate." (wau, the scan takes over 1 hour)
- now testing my problem that mix crashes when load songs... nothing :-)

So my problem must be found in the old settings. Found in Local Settings - Application Data - Mixxx.
I will now go forward and test something. Setting up my configuration inside mixxx. Goal is to have the old database! I hope that the database is NOT the reason for my crash!
dg3nec

Postby dg3nec » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Auto DJ:
Click on "AutoDJ" start/stop does not start and stop song play.
No song chang at the end with smooth change to other deck.
Manual start stop song doesn't help.
dg3nec

Postby rryan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:02 pm

This is a heroic amount of debug info! Keep it coming! Thanks a bunch.
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.
Please report any bugs you find to our Bug Tracker.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby shalty » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:44 pm

dg3nec wrote:Following done because mixxx crashes:
- de-installed mixxx 12 & 11 (files saved before)
- Windows full crash blue screen
- restart

Mmmm, windows BSOD sounds bad :(

Do you have a c:\windows\minidump folder? If so, do you have some (small, probably) file there from this BSOD timestamp?
shalty

Postby dg3nec » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:49 pm

More to my crash while loading song:

After the fresh installation it was better. Now test my database (mixxxdb.sqlite), because i want have my infos inside it.
- Renamed fresh database, copy my old inside folder-> mixxx crashes by loading song (old problem)
- Now i scan my music again (with the old database that crash me the mixxx), test mixxx crashes
- Again, start mixxx, rescan databease, test, mixxx crashes

To make it shure, rename the databases back. I have now the new from fresh installation. Test... works. GRMPFTL

Summary: My problem is my database!? Hope the team can help. Databes ZIP made, but 15MB, so i send it to ryan via mail.

(MANY THANKS)
dg3nec

Postby shalty » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:09 pm

An usability issue: the preferences dialog is so big that in fact it almost fulfill the work area of a (standard windows OS) 1280x800 screen (taskbar included). If windows (the OS) decides to draw the dialog on a vertical negative coordinate (and it does sometimes :mrgreen:) the only way (that i know) to get back to normal is ALT+Space and move it, but i assume it could be a problem for some... I don't know if you can center the dialog through code on a portable manner, or if could give more problems on multi-displays setups.

Being resizable for both, width and height, perhaps would be easier to just default to a lower size. Usually modern laptops are at least 1366x768, but old netbooks could be as low as 1024x600, and you need a little of "breath space" for resize/open/close (truth be told, i still don't know why windows (the OS) do that "randomly").
shalty

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion