Thanks a bunch for your feedback on the fancy waveform and alpha2 threads. Since alpha2 we've made almost 200 commits to our source tree and are ready for you to test the latest and greatest:
Mixxx 1.11.0 Beta 1 (bzr build r3276)
BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD, PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT NOTES BELOW
- Windows (x86)
- OS X (x86 10.5 and above)
- OS X (Universal 10.5 and above)
- Ubuntu Lucid/Maverick/Natty/Oneiric/Precise PPA ppa:mixxx/mixxxbetas
- Ubuntu (10.04 and above) i386
- Ubuntu (10.04 and above) amd64
To give us feedback the preferred method is to file bugs here. If you do file a bug, please post a link to the bug report in this thread so that others can go to the bug report, add comments, and vote that the bug affects them too.
What's new? What to test?
- MIDI and HID Controllers! We now support HID controllers (though we only have a few scripts.) If you have an HID device (like a Hercules controller without the driver loaded) and are familiar with MIDI scripting, get cracking and we can include your mapping in 1.11.0 final! (On Linux, make sure to give yourself write permissions to HID devices.) Also, if your MIDI controller doesn't work anymore, please let us know! We have rewritten the entire MIDI system to add HID support.
- New waveforms. Please continue to give us feedback on how these new waveforms work. We have already received lots of feedback but please don't hesitate to give us more. Make sure to check out and play with all the waveform settings in Preferences -> Interface. When giving feedback PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE say what your waveform settings are in Mixxx (waveform renderer type and Frames-Per-Second) and include your operating system and graphics card type.
- Totally revamped beat detection. (now fixed for Windows and Ubuntu users!) Mixxx now uses a new beat detection algorithm. Mixxx will not over-write old beatgrids from Mixxx 1.10.0 by default. This means to get the benefit of the new beat detection you need to either a) clear the beatgrid for tracks you want to re-detect (right-click in library and hit 'Clear Beatgrid') or set the preference option in Preferences -> Beat Detection to over-write beatgrids if your beat detection preference change.
- AutoDJ revamp! Auto DJ has gotten a lot of love and now has some new features. The main improvement beyond bugfixes is that you can adjust the crossfade threshold now.
- Set Log feature -- now Mixxx keeps track of tracks you play during your sets. You can export the tracks as a playlist, CSV, or text and you can make a Mixxx playlist out of a set you created.
- Search operators: Now the search box lets you use search operators. See below for some examples.
- Point-and-click MIDI learning wizard. The MIDI learning wizard has gotten some serious love and should be a much smoother experience. Please give it a whirl. The way it works is you now click what widget in the GUI you want to map and then wiggle the control you want to map it to. No more having to map the entire list of controls!
- Recording folder is customizable from preferences.
- Microphone talkover and EQ-kill buttons now work like the power-windows in your car . If you tap them once, it toggles them. If you hold the button down for more than 1/3rd of a second, then it stops immediately when you release it.
- Library has a "Hidden Tracks" section where you can see tracks you have 'Removed' from the library.
- Locale selectable from preferences
- Many bugfixes and improvements!
- Using this beta will update your library to a new format. You should be able to use Mixxx 1.10.0 with no problems even though it has been upgraded but just in case we strongly suggest backing up your library file before running any experimental version of Mixxx.
- Beatgrids detected by Mixxx 1.11.0 will not be readable by Mixxx 1.10.0.
- These binaries are beta quality. They have been pretty stable in testing but there are surely bugs we have not discovered yet. We strongly suggest you not use these for live performance.
- If you ever used the experimental VAMP branch then your library is likely in an incompatible state with these binaries. Please PM me or email me ( [email protected] ) and we will get you sorted out (your data isn't lost, your library just needs to be upgraded manually).
To see a list of all the bugs we are working on for 1.11.0, please check here:
Search Operators: New searches to try out
- bpm:100-120 rating:>4
- artist: "aphex twin"
- title:"keep it coming"
- genre:electro bpm:>115
The full list of columns these work on are: artist, album, title, genre, composer, comment, year, track, bpm, duration, key, played, rating, bitrate
Note that you can do range queries on numeric columns. For example "rating:>3" matches tracks with rating greater than 3, "rating:1-3" to get tracks with ratings between 1 and 3, and "rating:<=3" or "rating:>=3" to get tracks with rating less-than-or-equal and greater-than-or-equal to 3. You can use ranges and greater-than/less-than operators on any numeric column (bpm, year, track, duration, played, rating).
In summary, thank you for alpha testing Mixxx 1.11.0. With your help we will make 1.11.0 our best release yet.