How to use this?!

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

How to use this?!

Postby funfun4000 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:33 pm

I have no idea how to mix songs together. i just downloaded this software, and I wanted to mix together two songs, then take that mix and mix it with another song, but i dont know how to. Can someone help me?!
funfun4000

Re: How to use this?!

Postby AWOLGina » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Try reading the manuals, FAQ, etc. I just started using it a few days ago & am in the process of learning the program through the manuals. I right clicked page of manual, and chose Save As, to save the manual web page, FAQ, etc., to offline use & study.
There's no way someone could answer your question here or in a message, I'm sure the serious mixers here expect you--and me--to do our homework like they had to, before then asking educated questions based on having the basic foundational knowledge of the program, how to use it, etc.
Before I even knew how to use it, I made my 1st mix & posted it for feedback, to find out what I did right, and wrong, in my mix. I actually got lucky & somehow chose two songs with similar BPM speeds totally by accident, and created some cool slowed down vocal drag effects without even knowing what I was doing. So now, I'm here to learn the program at least, then I can make a better mix & impress my musician friends with the difference between my 1st mix attempt and my 2nd :P
Good luck & have FUN with it.
AWOLGina

Postby malv173 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:58 am

Hello!

I think what you would need to do is use the manual to find out how to record the mix of the first two tracks, then play that mix in one of the channels and mix your next song into that. The record setting is in the OPTIONS tab in the menu bar.

Hope this helps.

Have fun!
malv173

Postby djkaboodle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:58 pm

This looks offensive, posting a link to a book called 'DJing for Dummies', but I don't mean it that way! It's a decent book that will give all you need to get started properly, although you may find all you need on the website: http://www.recess.co.uk/index.html

Good luck!
DJ Kaboodle
↓↑↓↑↓↑↓↑↓↑↓↑
http://www.djkaboodle.co.uk
djkaboodle

Postby AWOLGina » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Yep, recording was the easiest part ;) It was learning what all the buttons do & mean, then how to actually use them, right, that was the hard part of the challenge. So far this is easier to figure out than VLC media player, Fraps or Virtual Dub programs have been. :-) it is a lot to learn at once & to keep straight though & I know it takes YEARS to be truly good at this, so I'm in it for the FUN only, for now, and learning how to do this gives me much more respect & admiration for the ones making the great tracks I listen to most, knowing how long it took them to get to that level of excellence.

BTW, has anyone here used the NIN web site remix software??? I'm considering trying that since it comes as part of the mix group and feedback site. Supposedly it's very easy for newbies.
Gina
http://remix.nin.com
Last edited by AWOLGina on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AWOLGina

Postby AWOLGina » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Actually that is a great idea for the extreme basic, but learning how to use a certain program, won't find that book helpful. Still, having the foundational understanding is valuable if one is serious about becoming a DJ. I'm personally not trying to become a DJ or compete with those I admire, I just love to learn new things & have fun with it. If I end up someday being quite good at, then maybe I'll pursue it, but mostly my talent is in supporting & recognizing talented people/results.

I would suggest anyone considering buying such a book, to first look at sample chapters, to be sure the book isn't TOO basic, because often these type books are too general & don't really teach you anything new if you have already been doing this even a little while; it also depends on the knowledge & skill of the author of the book, if it's an industry professional, then it's always worth the buy, but if it's a non-industry author, skip it, you'll probably already know more than them. IMHO & experience with these books, anyway.
Gina

djkaboodle wrote:This looks offensive, posting a link to a book called 'DJing for Dummies', but I don't mean it that way! It's a decent book that will give all you need to get started properly, although you may find all you need on the website: http://www.recess.co.uk/index.html

Good luck!
AWOLGina

Postby djkaboodle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Great advice about the book, and DJ books in general. I only posted a link to that because the user said they "have no idea how to mix songs together", so I figured they were starting completely from scratch (pardon the pun).

Yes, otherwise, the Mixxx manual and the wiki and forum are the best places to learn about Mixxx.
DJ Kaboodle
↓↑↓↑↓↑↓↑↓↑↓↑
http://www.djkaboodle.co.uk
djkaboodle

Postby Stephen Curry » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:50 am

Personally, I also just started to use it, but I have already read a lot. I read the manual, FAQ, and many other sources of information.
Stephen Curry

Return to General Discussion