How To Contribute to Mixxx Development

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Re: How To Contribute to Mixxx Development

Postby rryan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi DJ Julia,

Thanks for the feedback! What version of Mixxx are you using?

The Traktor MK2 timecode vinyl is not supported -- though it will technically work as you mention it plays tracks too fast.

Also, from your lead-in experience it sounds like you are in ABS mode and not REL mode. Is that right? In ABS mode, if you drop the needle at the first sample on the record, it will seek to the 0 position on the track you are playing in Mixxx. That would be why it starts right away.

As for effects -- we're slowly getting a nice effects framework implemented that will let you use Mixxx's internal effects as well as effects plugins like LV2 or VST. Those won't be ready in the next major version though, maybe two versions down the line.
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.
Please report any bugs you find to our Bug Tracker.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby DJ Julia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi Ryan,

I use the latest 1.10 version, just downloaded a few days ago, on a few months old Macbook Pro with the latest Snow Leopard. The audio card is a Native Instruments Audio 6, and the turntables are Reloop RP-2000 MK3 with the OEM pickup.

Yes I use ABS mode, but when I drop the needle in the lead in area of the record the track starts to play again from the last position from where it was playing before I lifted the needle. That is a funny behiavour that looks more like a REL mode.
In Traktor 2 when you drop the needle on the lead in area (the first shiny 5-10 mm of the record where there is no "thick" grooving), the track is rewinded and starts playing from beginning (actually on the waveform you land 1 or 2 seconds before the start of the track), and if you decide so in the preferences it switches back to ABS mode if it went to relative for other reasons. In Mixxx to me it looks like it's working in REL mode even though it's set in ABS. Let me play a bit and I'll try to give you some more feedback.

It would be really good to have the Traktor MK2 timecode supported. The Traktor timecode works with different brands of audio cards, while Serato works only with proprietary Rane hardware. Also, in Europe in general Traktor is more used than Serato, especially in Germany. If you need any beta testing I'm definitely in with my hardware.

Anyway, let me say that I am amazed by the level of features provided by Mixxx and I will for sure use it when I do simpler gigs with the Reloop Digital Jockey instead of the timecode. As an open source project, for complexity, quality and features I'd put Mixxx in the same league of Open Office and Gimp ;)
I will also try to contribute as much as I can to the project, up to now I completed the missing translations to italian :D My next target will be to play around with MIDI and controllers, I want to see what happens with my Kontrol X1 and also I've seen a strange behaviour of the jog wheels on the Reloop Digital Jockey and I'd like to look into that.

Cheers
J
http://www.mixify.com/julia-orchidea
Join Mixify and spin your music live.
DJ Julia

Postby jus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:29 pm

DJ Julia wrote:....In Mixxx to me it looks like it's working in REL mode even though it's set in ABS......

If you click on the little “VINYL” text in the mixer section then you will enable an additional control section for interacting with vinyl control. You can check/change the current control modus then without having to work with the preferences. See the Mixxx manual - The mixer section
This might help to determine if we might see a bug eventually.
...It would be really good to have the Traktor MK2 timecode supported....

We have a wishlist item listed for that on the Mixxx bugtracker : https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/923389
Please log in to Launchpad and vote for the bug by clicking "this affects me too!"
The Traktor timecode works with different brands of audio cards, while Serato works only with proprietary Rane hardware.

The Serato timecode (CD & Vinyl) works with all kind of audiocard as well. The Serato Scratch software itself works only in full mode if Rane hardware is connected.
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.

Find out how to contribute to Mixxx development.
jus
Mixxx Artist

Postby zafiroboss » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:53 pm

for when an version with filter and fxs? and 4 decks? its possible to make custom skins for the controlers? i have the denon mc3000. any idea? thanks for this great soft!
zafiroboss

Postby bemixxx » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi,

The controller script "Denon MC3000 V0.995" work with 4 decks in mixxx 1.11 (for basic functions).

Full functions in my new script (released soon).

4 deck implemented in mixxx, but no 4 decks skin at this moment... no visual, mix with your ears ;)

You can make a 4 decks custom skins for MC3000 (http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/skin_guidelines). Waiting for it !

Regards.
bemixxx

Postby zafiroboss » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:26 pm

ok thanks i´ll try but what about the filter and fx??
zafiroboss

Postby bemixxx » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Midi controller script control the Mixx engine.

Filter and FX are part of mixxx engine.

There are no audio FX (except flanger...) for the moment in mixx engine. It's for the future (version 1.12 ?).

You have some kind of fx (loop, roll...) that you can make with script.

For me, i'm waiting for low/high pass filter.

Regards.
bemixxx

Re: How To build packages

Postby MichaelJespersen » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Is there a way to make an installer package for Windows x64 from the latest build from http://builds.mixxx.org/builds/release-1.11.x/ (e. g. mixxx_1.11.0-beta2-pre.orig.tar.gz)?
I would like to test out the latest builds so that I can verify if a fix is working or not.
MichaelJespersen

Re: How To build packages

Postby rryan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:47 pm

MichaelJespersen wrote:Is there a way to make an installer package for Windows x64 from the latest build from http://builds.mixxx.org/builds/release-1.11.x/ (e. g. mixxx_1.11.0-beta2-pre.orig.tar.gz)?
I would like to test out the latest builds so that I can verify if a fix is working or not.

Hi there -- our 64-bit build environment isn't working right now so we can't produce 64-bit packages of 1.11. Hopefully we'll resolve this issue soon. In the meantime, 32-bit should work as well.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby MichaelJespersen » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:28 pm

32 bit would be also ok, but I cannot find an updated build for Windows in the mentioned directories.

EDIT: Can someone please upload an updated build? I want to use it on Saturday and cannot use it now because auf this bug.
MichaelJespersen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion