How To Contribute to Mixxx Development

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

How To Contribute to Mixxx Development

Postby rryan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi there! We want to make it as easy as possible for people to get involved in Mixxx development. First off, to be clear you don't have to be a programmer to contribute.

As a non-developer, you can help develop and improve Mixxx by:
If you are a software developer here is how to get involved:
  • You don't have to know C++. There are developers who got into Mixxx development while learning C++ along the way
  • Join our mailing list: mixxx-devel
  • Join our IRC channel, #mixxx on Freenode.
  • Tell us your ideas! Email us, talk on IRC, or post on the forums.
  • Register an account on Launchpad and get our code from GitHub. See our Git Tutorial
  • Get familiar with the code. Pick a bug off of the Easy Bug List
  • Get help fixing the bug on IRC, talk to us about the best way to do it.
3 Easy Steps:

It's as easy as that!
RJ
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.
Please report any bugs you find to our Bug Tracker.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Re: How To Contribute to Mixxx Development

Postby jose » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:29 am

i saw the wiki for the spanish manual. thanks to whomever started it, i now get an idea of what wiki is, thx! i'll have to remember to stop by there and work on it when i get the chance.
jose

Postby philnice » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm willing to translate mixxx's manual to my native language (greek), if needed.
"Mixxx - Where the X(tra) rules...."
philnice

Postby lockonstratos » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:48 pm

How do i set up the IRC chat? i looked at the freenode website but i cant figure it out. I'm using pidgen as my chat interface.
lockonstratos

Postby AJ Slye » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:07 pm

You'll need an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) program like xchat (on Linux) or mIRC (on Windows).

Here are instructions for IRc using Empathy:
http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/FAQ#How_c ... mpathy_.3F
AJ Slye

Postby tango » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 pm

I could translate the manual to the spanish languague. Let me know how.

Diego
tango

Postby madjester » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:36 pm

tango wrote:I could translate the manual to the spanish languague. Let me know how.

The (as yet incomplete) Spanish translation of the manual is on our Wiki:

http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/manual_spanish

You'll need to register an account on the Wiki then you can begin editing it. If you have any problems or need any help feel free to contact me through the forum or on IRC.

PS: I also happen to speak fluent spanish, btw.
Madjester - Suomi / Dark Psytrance, Mixxx Developer
See my Soundcloud page: http://soundcloud.com/madjester.
madjester
Mixxx Developer

Postby psqinfo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:08 am

Mixxx will comes fully featured thins but it not ready for professional use!
psqinfo

Postby rryan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:38 pm

psqinfo wrote:Mixxx will comes fully featured thins but it not ready for professional use!

Hi psqinfo,

I'm not sure what you mean -- many people use Mixxx professionally. What is a "thins"? Also, what is Mixxx missing that you would need to use it for professional use?
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.
Please report any bugs you find to our Bug Tracker.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby DJ Julia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:29 am

Hi ryan,

I think that mixxx already offers an impressive range of features that puts it on a par with other professional software. It has integration with iTunes library and automatic beatmatching, those are IMHO the two must-have features of any DJing software.

I had bad surprises while on a gig with Traktor 2 and Vritual DJ so I'm looking at Mixxx. For me, as DJ and as engineer, the one and only feature needed by a piece of software is stability. My DJing software must be rock solid and never let me down when I'm spinning records. I think that Mixxx has a huge potential here being open sourced and unix based. I need to use it and test it myself to understand how solid it is.

I've used it shortly and only for a few days, but as a first impression I'd say that mixxx doesn't need many more features.
I personally need the following:
1. Support for Traktor MK2 timecode vinyl: at the moment mixxx plays the tunes too fast, having to choose side A/B from the menu is complex and time consuming, and the lead in section of the vinyl doesn't really work, as soon as the pick up touches the vinyl it starts playing (i already tried to play with the lead in time setting without results), plus when I put the pickup on the lead in in Traktor my tune is rewinded back to the beginning. This doesn't happen in mixxx and it's a bit annoying. At the moment I'd say that timecode MK2 is not usable at a professional level.
2. A few more effects (maybe reverber, gater and hi/lo pass filter...the more is better), though it's not a high priority feature.
3. A more polished, "shiny" looking UI for the times when the people peek in the DJ booth. It doesn't look so bad when compared with virtual DJ's ugly UI, but it's not as good looking as Traktor and Serato.
4. More controllers supported, again here there is a lot of potential since the users can map their own midi toys. I'll try to map the Traktor Kontrol X1 asap myself.

Cheers
J
http://www.mixify.com/julia-orchidea
Join Mixify and spin your music live.
DJ Julia

Next

Return to General Discussion