Fedora

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Fedora

Postby AJ Slye » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:21 pm

I would like to know if you could maintain a download for fedora as well as Ubuntu, the version on RPMfusion is 1.7.0 (a bit old) but this software seems to run much better on fedora than it ever did on Ubuntu, at least for me that is, lol.
AJ Slye

Re: Fedora

Postby rryan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi AJ,

Basically, we've tried getting Mixxx into the Fedora repositories before but we were rejected because we statically link with libmad, our MP3 decoder.

None of us have experience with packaging RPMs, but if an RPM expert came along and volunteered to help us package them, we wouldn't be opposed. The only problem is we would need them to commit to package it every time we do a release. Otherwise (for example) we'll have an RPM for 1.8.0, but won't have one for 1.9.0 b/c the person helping us vanished, etc.

Best regards,
RJ Ryan
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.
Please report any bugs you find to our Bug Tracker.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby AJ Slye » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:02 am

"Basically, we've tried getting Mixxx into the Fedora repositories before but we were rejected because we statically link with libmad, our MP3 decoder."

If you could get ahold The RPM Fusion maintainers, maybe they would have someone to help with that especially since they already have Mixxx 1.7.0 in thier repository.
AJ Slye

Mixxx 1.9.0 for Fedora 14 RPM

Postby JBstrikesagain » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:20 pm

I have made a one off RPM based on the spec file for mixxx-1.8.2 from rpmfusion:

http://cupcakecarnival.net/sites/defaul ... x86_64.rpm

after upgrading from mixxx-1.8.2 I had issues where Mixxx GUI would kind of hang after dragging tracks from the library into a deck. To resolve it I removed my ~/.mixxx directory and it worked fine after that.

I emailed the packager of mixxx for rpmfusion to ask when he would update it but I haven't gotten a response since I emailed him yesterday.

I am interested in getting mixxx into Fedora. Why is libmad statically linked to mixxx? Could it not be an optional feature, mp3, that would work if libmad was available dynamically?
Last edited by JBstrikesagain on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBstrikesagain

Postby JBstrikesagain » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:29 am

I created a new wiki page on running Mixxx on Fedora:

http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/mixxx_on_fedora

In it I hilight a bug in the version of portaudio included in Fedora that causes audio in Mixxx to hang. I created an RPM with a newer version of portaudio that corrects this issue:

http://cupcakecarnival.net/sites/defaul ... 14.src.rpm
JBstrikesagain

Return to General Discussion