Rane Twelve want to attempt with MIXXX on Windows 10

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Rane Twelve want to attempt with MIXXX on Windows 10

Postby markerline » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:42 am

Dear DJ community with MIXXX....

I have some Rane Twelves that I am attempting to use to control audio on one laptop and Houdini (for animation) on a second laptop. The turntables only have one MIDI output so at the moment I can only get a single signal to one computer.

This might be fine if MIXXX works with Bome MIDI Translator. I could in effect run Bome and then launch MIXXX and finally launch Houdini and have MIDI from the Ranes go to MIXXX and Houdini via Bome. The turntables would appear on separate channels based on the 4 available channel buttons on the Rane Hardware and I could thus use Bome MIDI Translator as the MIDI source in MIXXX and Houdini, while seeing that 2 separate MIDI signals are passing through based on the independent MIDI Channels.

So what I need to know since I am brand new to MIXXX and am not really that good at scripting (especially not in Javascript) is how can I create a mapping for the Rane Twelve Platters so that I can scratch in MIXXX and also have the same scratches in Houdini as animation channels? I know how to do the latter, I just need some big help with MIXXX itself.

I have exhausted the possibilities for doing this in Serato DJ on the audio side and I attempted to make headway in Virtual DJ before I got stuck at being able to only scratch in one direction, and not be able to emulate the opposite direction the way real vinyl works.

So now I am here with MIXXX which I haven't even installed yet but am hoping might be the answer I am looking for.

Any help is tremendously appreciated.

You can see a pinned tweet that I have on my Twitter page where I was able to create DJ beat juggling animation testing using Denon SC 3900s (The Denons have sticker drift which is why i really need the Ranes to work for me... they are very accurate and have zero drift). My twitter handle is @realdjthink .

Thank you,

markerline
markerline

Re: Rane Twelve want to attempt with MIXXX on Windows 10

Postby Jesse89 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:20 pm

markerline wrote:Dear DJ community with MIXXX....

I have some Rane Twelves that I am attempting to use to control audio on one laptop and Houdini (for animation) on a second laptop. The turntables only have one MIDI output so at the moment I can only get a single signal to one computer.

This might be fine if MIXXX works with Bome MIDI Translator. I could in effect run Bome chatib and then launch MIXXX and finally launch Houdini and have MIDI from the Ranes go to MIXXX and Houdini via Bome. The turntables would appear on separate channels based on the 4 available channel buttons on the Rane Hardware and I could thus use Bome MIDI Translator as the MIDI source in MIXXX and Houdini, while seeing that 2 separate MIDI signals are passing through based on the independent MIDI Channels.

So what I need to know since I am brand new to MIXXX and am not really that good at scripting (especially not in Javascript) is how can I create a mapping for the Rane Twelve Platters so that I can scratch in MIXXX and also have the same scratches in Houdini as animation expressvpn channels? I know how to do the latter, I just need some big help with MIXXX itself.

I have exhausted the possibilities for doing this in Serato DJ on the audio side and I attempted to make headway in Virtual DJ before I got stuck at being able to only scratch in one direction, and not be able to emulate the opposite direction the way real vinyl works.

So now I am here with MIXXX which I haven't even installed yet but am hoping might be the answer I am looking for.

Any help is tremendously appreciated.

You can see a pinned tweet that I have on my Twitter page where I was able to create DJ beat juggling animation testing using Denon SC 3900s (The Denons have sticker drift which is why i really need the Ranes to work for me... they are very accurate and have zero drift). My twitter handle is @realdjthink .

Thank you,

markerline

The turntables only have one MIDI output so at the moment I can only get a single signal to one computer. I have some Rane Twelves too that I am also attempting to use to control audio on one laptop and Houdini (for animation) on a second laptop.
Last edited by Jesse89 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse89

Re: Rane Twelve want to attempt with MIXXX on Windows 10

Postby Be. » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:50 am

Unfortunately I'm not sure Mixxx's mapping system currently has any way to support motorized jog wheels. This may require some more complicated changes to the controller mapping and/or audio processing C++ code. If you're up for contributing that, that would be awesome!
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Return to General Discussion