Playlist feature expansion idea

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Playlist feature expansion idea

Postby Mixxx MIxxxermannn » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Having played on lots of vinyl 20 years ago and more recently a few lengthy sets in Mixxx, there is a feature I think many could benefit from.

One advantage of vinyl is that one could literally pull up a few records to physically separate from the rest of the crates for tracks that might be played next, or several tracks later. I am finding this to be difficult in Mixxx, because the only option is to manually add songs to be potentially played to a playlist, which is a bit cumbersome. Perhaps it is dependent on my control (mixtrack pro), but adding a song to a playlist involves rightclicking the mouse or touchpad, and i believe everything possible should be done to not use either in a performance setting.

What I suggest is to have a permanent temporary "crate" which can be accessed by a midi/hotkey or scrolling normal crates and tracks added to it by another midi/hotkey. Perhaps it could even be a normally built and/or chosen playlist, but simply have this added element of control. The important aspect is not needing to use the pointing device to populate the list.

This is part of a general UX issue I see with the how the library is used. The left sidebar is too cluttered when performing. When performing, I have no use for most of the sidebar items. I need to scroll crates, the general library (if I then want to search for something not yet in a crate), and potentially playlists. Itunes, Computer, AutoDJ, Recordings, etc are only there to confuse and slow me down in that moment. Mixxx could really do with performance/preparation UI modes
Mixxx MIxxxermannn

Re: Playlist feature expansion idea

Postby daschuer » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Thank you for the good idea. I usually use the AutoDj Playlist for this. It has dedicated controls you can map to your controller.
[Library], AddAutoDJBottom
[Library], AddAutoDJTop

Is this sufficient for you?
daschuer
Mixxx Developer

Postby Mixxx MIxxxermannn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:41 am

Thx, getting there!

Now how might I remove a track from the autodj list without actually loading it or right-clicking should I change my mind about playing it?
Mixxx MIxxxermannn

Postby Be. » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:36 am

I have thought about something like this too. However, I don't think I've wanted this since I got a 4 deck controller. With 4 decks, I can load multiple tracks I might want to play and I have up until the last second to decide which one I actually want to play next. This is my main use for 4 decks; I don't mix more than 2 tracks at the same time. Nevertheless, I think this would be a nice feature to add.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby Mixxx MIxxxermannn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:02 pm

I'd love a 4 channel controller as I'd like to mix 3 sources together again. Planning a few tracks into the future wouldn't be solved by a bigger controller in my scenario, however. Sometimes there is the idea of really building up to a certain song and where to go from there.
Mixxx MIxxxermannn

Postby daschuer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:29 am

Now how might I remove a track from the autodj list without actually loading it or right-clicking should I change my mind about playing it?

I think you are missing a remove button on you controller, right? This would be an easy addition.
But how would you map it?
Or can you effort using the del key in the keyboard?

This is currently disabled, but we have already a pending PR to enable it.
daschuer
Mixxx Developer

Postby mevsme » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:27 am

Be. wrote:I have thought about something like this too. However, I don't think I've wanted this since I got a 4 deck controller. With 4 decks, I can load multiple tracks I might want to play and I have up until the last second to decide which one I actually want to play next....

How did you set up this? Do you have separate keys to load track into deck 3 or 4?
In my case I have only one key - load into the last stopped deck, so in most cases it's 1st or 2nd, that is not good for "temp" place.
I think the idea is brilliant! And the idea about AutoDJ is great workaround. I would like some MIDI command to remove a track from auto DJ queue too.
mevsme

Postby Be. » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:51 am

My controller has a push encoder that I have mapped for scrolling the library and no dedicated buttons for loading a track to each deck. When I push and release that encoder, it loads to the first stopped deck like your mapping. But if I hold the encoder pushed then press the play button of a deck before releasing the encoder, it loads to that deck instead of the first stopped.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby ronso » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:33 am

@Mixxx MIxxxermannn

If your controller has a button grid with different modes you could use the sampler banks to store tracks.
With the new 'clone deck' controls you could then well, clone any sampler track to any other deck, be it a sampler or a regular deck.
This can be done with some scripting. For example, press&hold [Deck3],load then short-press [Deck2],load would clone a track from deck 3 > 2, pretty much the way @Be described.

If you want to try that I could share the script part I use. I handle short/long press 'manually' though, because I didn't convert my script to midi-components.
ronso

Return to General Discussion