Hard time transferring mixxx to new laptop

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Hard time transferring mixxx to new laptop

Postby DJ PBK » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:21 am

Both Windows 10. Downloaded mixxx 2.1.0 on the new laptop and im trying to basically put current mixxx setup onto new laptop. So much work, with playlist/crates. Que/loops/sync info on different tracks.

Currently onto usb driver ive downloaded and trasnfered to the New laptop
All songs.
All files, from Local settings>Application Data>Mixxx
All Files, from Windows>Program Files>Mixxx

Confused on where to go from here, when i open mixxx still just fresh page with none of my settings etc... i understand there another step to this just not sure what that is :(

Appreicate the help so much. = PBK
DJ PBK

Re: Hard time transferring mixxx to new laptop

Postby tapir » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:08 am

Check for the files mixxx.cfg and mixxxdb.sqlite on your old computer to identify the correct Application Data folder.

Do not copy applications installed in Program Files! Instead use the installer for this purpose.

Don't forget to copy all your music files to the exact same location on the new computer. Do this preferably before starting Mixxx for the first time. Otherwise all your tracks might be marked as Missing upon the initial library scan and you would need to rescan your library again to restore them.

When starting Mixxx you should see the contents of your library and all tracks should be available.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby DJ PBK » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:23 am

"Check for the files mixxx.cfg and mixxxdb.sqlite on your old computer to identify the correct Application Data folder."
Please explain location for these files

"Instead use the installer for this purpose."
Please explain this in more detail.
DJ PBK

Postby tapir » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:35 am

Check for the files mixxx.cfg and mixxxdb.sqlite on your old computer to identify the correct Application Data folder.

You might have copied the wrong source folder, so check if it actually contains these files. Also check that you copied it to the correct target location.

Instead use the installer for this purpose.

Most executable files have dependencies that need to be installed and registered in Windows. Simply copying the files is not sufficient.

Please understand that I'm not able to cover basic Windows topics here.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Return to General Discussion