Linux and Mixxx thread

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Linux and Mixxx thread

Postby Patrick4416 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:58 am

I recently was given an old laptop and asked if there was anything I could do with it as the owner had bought a newer version for Windows 10. Her Windows Vista laptop was able to run Win 10 but it was unbearably slow, so I put Linux Lite on there and then I found out that I could get the Mixx app installed on it.

I must admit that I've been quite surprised at how good this free piece of software is and how capable it is, even with old technology. It's a very good way of getting in to DJ'ing at such a low cost.

The one thing I have noticed is a lack of love on many popular sites and I just can't understand why? Is it just an image problem, do we need to spend all our money buying the latest kit when there are alternatives out there? I've used Traktor for many years now and I took to Mixx with no real problems, I've even got it working with my (second hand) VCI-400 and it does absolutely everything I need it to.

Granted I've only been using it for home use over the past couple of days, but I've gotta say I'm impressed. Anyone else have any insight in to this as I can't see too much on the forum?
Patrick4416

Re: Linux and Mixx thread

Postby daschuer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 am

I think you are right, Mixxx has an image problem.

I think this is due to the leak of marketing. The commercial competitors have a reasonable budget to drive a marketing department. Since mm inex is involved they have the power to make contracts with hardware manufacturer and streaming services.

Mixxx is driven by spare time contributors only.
It is free, because all of them contribute there work for free. They are manly DJs with programming or design knowledge.

We are missing badly marketing, technical authors or similar guys. IMHO they are required to spread Mixxx into the word.

Do you know one?
daschuer
Mixxx Developer

Postby Be. » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 am

I prefer to spend my time making Mixxx better than trying to tell people how awesome it is. That said, something Mixxx is sorely lacking is good tutorial and demo videos. If you are interested in making those, that would be great!
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby pi r squared » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately this is not a genuine post, but a spammer/spambot copying-and-pasting a post from another forum. The spammer is no longer with us, but I am not locking the thread as I think there is potential for an interesting discussion here.

I think some high quality tutorial videos would be very beneficial. If they were going to be made it would be useful to have a 'house style' for the videos so that they have a consistency, even if made by multiple different users - eg. use of a consistent skin, a maximum length, how they begin and end, etc. The danger of twenty people uploading twenty different tutorials in twenty different styles is that we go back to feeling a bit "hobbyist", which isn't the worst thing in the world but may harm the image in some small way.
pi r squared

Postby Be. » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:07 pm

I recently saw that Ardour started a YouTube channel that has a few videos. Having videos similar to those for Mixxx would be great.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby dogo77 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:08 pm

pi r squared wrote:Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately this is not a genuine post, but a spammer/spambot copying-and-pasting a post from another forum. The spammer is no longer with us, but I am not locking the thread as I think there is potential for an interesting discussion here.

/sub

pi r squared wrote:I think some high quality tutorial videos would be very beneficial. If they were going to be made it would be useful to have a 'house style' for the videos so that they have a consistency, even if made by multiple different users - eg. use of a consistent skin, a maximum length, how they begin and end, etc. The danger of twenty people uploading twenty different tutorials in twenty different styles is that we go back to feeling a bit "hobbyist", which isn't the worst thing in the world but may harm the image in some small way.

I like that idea and i see a small chance for me to give something back to mixxx since i'm no programmer at all, just a user since…letmethink…2009? i don't know, seems like ages, never used any other dj software, mostly because i'm linux only and options are rare… ;)
But honestly: I'd like to see some brainstorming in this thread (or another since there is a typo in subject and so on.)
greets
archlinux x86_64 · mixxx1.11 · mixxx 2.2 · american audio vms4 · Roland dj 505
dogo77

Postby pi r squared » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:10 pm

dogo77 wrote:I like that idea and i see a small chance for me to give something back to mixxx since i'm no programmer at all, just a user since…letmethink…2009?

Same here - I don't have the ability to contribute to Mixxx as a programmer so I try to contribute by helping people on these forums (and helping to keep them free of spam and junk). Mixxx is a very different beast now from what it was in 2009, isn't it?! It has been great to watch it develop over the years into software that has real parity with some of the bigger names.
pi r squared

Return to General Discussion