Live broadcasting with external mixer

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Live broadcasting with external mixer

Postby garf81 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:31 am

Hi - first post and I'm just after a little advice!
I've been using Mixxx to record some podcasts for my school, playing decks and recording/editing the audio using Audacity. The set up is such that the audio signal of tracks I play from Mixxx comes out of my PC headphone output, in to the line in on a mixer (Behringer Xenyx X1222FX). This, along with an XLR mic input on the mixer is then received by the mic input on my PC which is picked up from Audacity.

I'd like to do some live broadcasts now I've set up a radio server using Azuracast. The connection works fine which is great however I'd still like to use the X1222 for audio/mic fading. I was hoping I could still use the audio routing as described above BUT kind of fool Mixxx in a way that the 'mic' input in Mixxx would receive the audio/mic output from the X1222. When I've tried it and played a track on one of the decks, I'm unable to fade etc as it's like the audio is still playing through my PC and missing the output to the X1222.
At the moment, to get it to work, I'm having to use a second PC with Mixxx and send the audio from the mixer to that through the mic input but of course, you don't get the details of which tracks are playing etc. I guess what I'm asking is then, can I still send the audio from Mixxx through the headphone output without it actually playing/hearing it on the PC, if that makes sense?! I want to a/ listen live through the phones output on the X1222 and b/ use the fade options of the mic/audio input

I hope that makes some sense!!!

Thanks
garf81

Re: Live broadcasting with external mixer

Postby JosepMa » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:18 pm

Your initial setup was a bit unusual, but given that you want to physically use the X1222 mixer, then it is acceptable, although you would have a better experience if your soundcard could output multiple channels and then you could actually use the Mixer to mix the decks and connect the headphones there.

Said that, yes, it is possible to broadcast an external signal.
You just need to go to preferences, "Audio hardware", select the "input" tab and there locate "Broacast/Recording". There, you will select your line in.

Then, you will be able to broadcast the signal that comes from the mixer, and also to use the audio recording on Mixxx itself instead of using audacity (which you can still use to edit the track afterwards).
JosepMa

Postby DJ poppy D » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:23 am

you can set up mixxx to act like a mixer if you wish = check out my broadcast skin
DJ poppy D

Postby RozzvilleMansion » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:42 pm

OK, I think I found a thread that is related to the question that I was going to ask. I have an external mixer that I prefer to use. I only want to go line in via MIXXX so I can connect to my Shoutcast server for live shows. That's not a issue with this software is it?

As it currently stands I have to use some sort of software line in to get my audio over to my server. I don't run any other software and prefer to stay away from it, but if MIXXX allows for a line out from the mixer into my PC and that audio goes out to my server once I enter my server info that would be great.

If anyone could verify for this method I would greatly appreciate it. I want to go live tonight and do some testing. I also have to figure out how quickly I can get my auto DJ set up back online after a live show since this server doesn't have auto start after a live stream.

Thanks for any help.
RozzvilleMansion - WE ARE THE PARTY
http://www.Facebook.com/RozzvilleMansionWA
RozzvilleMansion

Postby Be. » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Yes, Mixxx can do that. Connect the mixer's output to an audio interface's input and configure that audio interface for the Record/Broadcast input in the Sound Hardware section of Mixxx's preferences.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby RozzvilleMansion » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:19 pm

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure. This is a big help because I'm running older Gemini 700s and I didn't want to figure out how to run it with Virtual Dj and all that stuff. I like stand alone gear. I had a crash years ago during a gig and I got a Numark Mixdeck Express soon after and I've never gone back to a all computer set up after that. Thanks again for the info.
RozzvilleMansion - WE ARE THE PARTY
http://www.Facebook.com/RozzvilleMansionWA
RozzvilleMansion

Postby Be. » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:27 pm

If you're playing music from external hardware, Mixxx may not be the best tool for the job. Mixxx is helpful if you are sending music from Mixxx to a hardware mixer then back to the computer for broadcasting. In that situation, when using the Record/Broadcast input in Mixxx, Mixxx sends the metadata for the playing tracks to the broadcasting server. When you're playing from external hardware, Mixxx has no access to that metadata, so you may as well use BUTT.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Return to General Discussion